Back Pack for an M10?

erniethemilk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've read through some of the bag threads here, but haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

I currently have a Billingham Hadley and a Hadley Small, which are fine for day to day use, but I'm after a small backpack for carrying 2 M bodies (M6 & M10-P) and 3 or 4 M lenses along with a few odds and ends such as a filter kit etc.

Anyone found a good Back Pack that's big enough but not too big!

I was about to say the same.

I keep coming back to the Billingham 25 Rucksack for a multi lens, two body kit.  This looks like an outstanding bag:  https://billingham.com/products/25-rucksack-for-cameras_colour-khaki-canvas-tan-leather

Another possibility is the MindShift BackLight 26 L backpack:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1363015-REG/mindshift_gear_362_backlight_26l_backpack_woodland.html   I have this backpack and it is a truly excellent design. 

My BackLight 26 L negates the need for the Billingham 25 Rucksack, but it is still tempting...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Check out Topo Designs - these look 'smart casual' and can be used either as a briefcase, courier bag or backpack.

The advantage of a side zip backpack is you can swing it around one one strap, to the side, and get easy access to the gear without taking it off your back.

https://topodesigns.com/products/commuter-briefcase?variant=6318953025

I've been using a MindShift Gear PhotoCross 15.  It's 20L and a side-load design.  I like it because it's the biggest one I could get that still fits under an airline seat and is considered a personal item, not a carry-on.  The side-load design has its plusses and minuses.  It holds a lot of gear and I can easily put in my M10 & CL (with a lens mounted) and still hold 3 or 4 more M lenses, filters, and other small stuff.  It also has a side pouch for a travel-size tripod.  

About the only downside is that the side-load design can be a little difficult to dig around in sometimes if you're trying to find something and the front pocket, while big, is not very deep.  I don't do a lot of hiking but this one is comfortable to wear when I need to.  Cost was $189.00.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When travelling with the family, I use either a Tom Bihn synapse 19 or 25 with a combination of artisan and artist lens wraps and the billingham Hadley small insert. Both comfortably carry 2 m bodies (MP and M10M) 28 & 50 plus filters etc and still leave room for non photo stuff. 

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks

I'm personally fond to Wandrd Prvke 31 with essential+ camera cube. That might be a thigh fit for 2 bodies and lenses, but with Pro+ Camera Cube it might be enough.

For me it has been enough, It fits 1 body + 3 lenses, still has enough space for accessories and I can fit coffee pan, water + cup on top compartment.

It depends where you want to use it. If you want it for long distance walking in the country/hills/mountains, then I would be cautious about the general photo backpacks, including the Billinghams (though I've never used one) - they look like they are designed for a torso shaped like a box. Ergonomics, weight, fit to the hips, back and shoulders, and balance are critical, along with waterproofing, and how you carry other vital gear, like water bottles, jackets..... I have a F-stop Loka UL for that purpose for large format, together with a couple of their internal organiser units. The tripod goes on the outside.

For getting from home to wherever I happen to be shooting locally by bicycle, car or walking not too far, I have a Lowepro - RoadRunner AW, I think, which takes SL2-S, two large zooms, a couple of lights and brollies, and lightstands strapped outside. Lowepro has a bag for every sort of kit: very well designed for holding the maximum amount of stuff in whatever shape and size you have, with lots of useful little pockets. They are tough, but I would not rate them as ergonomic to the human back - just fairly functional.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 3:53 PM, Dennis said:

https://tenba.com/tenba-fulton-v2-10l-all-weather-backpack-black-black-camo/

details here:

Preview below is for the big 16L, the 10L is perfect for Leica M plus stuff 

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!!  It's even available in a color other than black!!  😳 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

LowePro Mini Trekker!  No idea if they make it anymore or if LowePro is still in business. I've had the same one for over 20 years - been everywhere from Alaska to Africa!    Nowadays  I still use it to carry my camera gear and other stuff while traveling enroute to a destination but I don't use it when going out with the camera since I just carry the M and maybe one additional lens.

Well - I had to go check.  Lowepro is still in business but they don't make the Mini-Trekker.  They have several "trekkers," one of which is an "M-trekker" but it's nothing like the Mini Trekker.  In fact, none of the backpacks from what I could see match the Mini Trekker.  Oh well - don't need another one anyway!

Edited by Mikep996

• 1 month later...

Another possibility is the Filson rucksack:   https://www.filson.com/bags-luggage/backpacks/rugged-twill-rucksack.html#sku=11070262-fco-000971913

There is no camera insert, but the insert from my Billingham Hadley Pro fits like a hand in a glove.  Another option for using the Filson rucksack would be to put each camera and lens in its own Zing neoprene pouch to prevent damage.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought tenba fulton because I am on a mission to find a small, minimal backpack. Can't use the shoulder bag as it creates pain in my spine after an hour or two.

Used it for several days only.

Hate it.

Sits badly on the back and I can't regulate it to correct position.

But the most irritating part is the smell. It absorbed everything as a sponge and started to smell really terrible when sun got onto it. My guess is that bacteria for some reason started to spread quickly over the fabric where it touch the back and it's really smelly.

Also have Peak Design sling 6l; Would love to find something like this but as a backpack 😐 Or to convert it to backpack somehow.

Edited by tester23

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 8:53 PM, Dennis said:

https://tenba.com/tenba-fulton-v2-10l-all-weather-backpack-black-black-camo/

details here:

Preview below is for the big 16L, the 10L is perfect for Leica M plus stuff 

Full circle back on this thread. Picked up a Tenba Fulton 10l for a crazy cheap price and very happy with it. Enough room for the body and 3 lenses in the camera part and plenty of room up top for accessories etc. 

Thanks for the recommendation @Dennis

• Like 1