I'm also one of those "crazy ones" who purchased an M9 in 2022

twogun

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Apology.  Where is the battery thread?  I got two batteries with my M9 neither of which will recharge.  Bought two new batteries from leicastoredc neither of which will charge.  Got new charger but batteries will not charge with it either.  Now I only see M9 batteries on eBay.  Where do I purchase good M9 batteries, please?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, lifeandmylens said:

It's mid 2023 and just purchased a M9.  No idea if I'll keep it since it'll be my 4th Leica body.  But I am curious to see what it's all about compared to my others and whether it stays.

You won't regret it & will love it! It's got charm and amazing colors and even the BW out of it is excellent. Use it like a fine wine:) The closest digital body to a film/analog experience. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twogun said:

You won't regret it & will love it! It's got charm and amazing colors and even the BW out of it is excellent. Use it like a fine wine:) The closest digital body to a film/analog experience. 

Thank you!  Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for :) 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, lifeandmylens said:

It's mid 2023 and just purchased a M9.  No idea if I'll keep it since it'll be my 4th Leica body.  But I am curious to see what it's all about compared to my others and whether it stays.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! Since you have other Leica bodies I’d restrict the M9 to good light. It’s wonderful at ISO 160, fine up to 800, adventurous beyond. 

• Like 3

I did as well. Have an M8 (and an M3 and M4) and just got an M9 Monochrom from Leica Store DC.

At some point I may get a regular M9 so don't need to deal with the crop sensor M8 but shoot so little color I am going to hold off a while and see if the urge is still there

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/8/2023 at 6:56 PM, Arai said:

Am I crazier? I bought M9 Titan in Feb 2023 and just bought M9P almost brand new last month. I owned several M bodies including M10R and this M9 the one that I always bring 😉

VERY jealous of that M9 Titanium - one of the coolest Leicas ever made, in my opinion. 

I also bought an M9 at the beginning of this year, for a few reasons:

1. It's one of the cheaper Leica M digital cameras you can get 

2. I have been intrigued by the color rendition of the files

Really, really enjoying it. Paired with a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.5 II, it's great. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sold my M10 last year, and now I am really intrigued by the idea of buying an M9 or M9M. Reading your comments reassures me.

My biggest concern is whether an M9 body would still keep working for 10 years or if it's more likely to break down sooner than a more modern M camera, like the M10 or M10M. This morning, I had an M9M in my hands with only 4K shutter exposures, but it had the CCD ID 52 sensor, so I didn't buy it.

I'll keep tracking this post and reading your opinions. Essentially, I'm looking for a camera that provides an experience closest to film and renders noise like film for my Leica M journey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, cesc said:

I sold my M10 last year, and now I am really intrigued by the idea of buying an M9 or M9M. Reading your comments reassures me.

My biggest concern is whether an M9 body would still keep working for 10 years or if it's more likely to break down sooner than a more modern M camera, like the M10 or M10M. This morning, I had an M9M in my hands with only 4K shutter exposures, but it had the CCD ID 52 sensor, so I didn't buy it.

I'll keep tracking this post and reading your opinions. Essentially, I'm looking for a camera that provides an experience closest to film and renders noise like film for my Leica M journey.

Electronic components not producing a lot of heat do not really wear out particularly rapidly in use, nor will they deteriorate when being properly stored. The exception is SSD memory, which lasts a certain number of write operations, but the M9 does not have any of those built in, only removable memory cards. The image sensor may develop faulty pixels, which can be mapped out by Leica service (custom firmware) for as long as they are willing to do so. Of the mechanical components the shutter is the most probable to eventually wear out because of use (shutter actuations). And the batteries will of course deteriorate over time, both because of many charge-discharge cycles and when being left unused.

I don't think there are any bigger differences between the M9 and M10 when it comes to how long they are expected work. Either can of course break at any point of time, but the M10 is likely to be serviceable longer than the M9 because of spare part availability (sensors are already unavailable for the M9). And I would recommend buying extra batteries while they are still available. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:42 PM, Olaf_ZG said:

But them looking a bit around I was shocked, they are basically the same as a m240

The same? They are very different. The M240 has a cmos, so live view and video if that’s your thing. The M240 also has electronic frame lines IIRC, the M9 was the last with illuminated frame lines. I’d take an M9 over the M240 any day of the week.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ianman said:

The same? They are very different. The M240 has a cmos, so live view and video if that’s your thing. The M240 also has electronic frame lines IIRC, the M9 was the last with illuminated frame lines. I’d take an M9 over the M240 any day of the week.

I meant the prices…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ianman said:

The frame lines in the M-9 and M-240 are the same. One is lit by natural light and the other is lit by and LED.