I'm also one of those "crazy ones" who purchased an M9 in 2022

twogun

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I upgraded my M9 to M9P and bought an M9M this year, glad to know I am not too crazy. 

Shutter release and cocking sound of M9 and M9P, recorded on iPhone, if you are interested.  Just for fun and nothing serious. 

Here is the M9:

Edited by DennisPT
Typo

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, DennisPT said:

I think the M9's shutter sounds is more quiet than users assume, simply because the user hears it right up against their face, whereas the observer hears it from some distance away. DSLR's are notorious for  their sound, though. Back in the late 2000s, I shot my Canon 30D at an aikido seminar and got a few glances from people nearby. I also shot my M9 under similar circumstances and no one paid any attention. TBH I kind of shudder when I hear the DSLR mirror slap these days, especially when RF and mirrorless cameras are so much more quiet.

Edited by Archiver

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dicey said:

also need to take some time to get comfortable working with a rangefinder

Keep on practicing and practices willl give you confidence (or not depending on you).

Don't forget to let us know, later on after some time of practices

On 7/23/2022 at 1:19 PM, Dicey said:

I just picked up a M9 as a step into Leica. So far enjoying it but also need to take some time to get comfortable working with a rangefinder. Little less help there then on an A7R3 with older adapter lenses.

Having used M240 and M9, the M9 viewfinder noticeably more difficult to focus, somewhat dimmer and less clear. You'll eventually get used to it with a lot of practices. However the glasses will work a lot better on native M bodies than on Sony sensors.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had some decent progress so far at getting focus. Still a good 25% or so of pictures out of focus, but happy with it so far. Seeing some evidence of corrosion unfortunately, but have been able to use the heal tool in Capture One to manage it when sky is visible.

14 hours ago, photoslippy said:

Kolari now charging usd 2500 for sensor service... crazy huh

No wonder the price is skyrocketing lately

Wow that's crazy. I paid USD 2750 for my M9P with new sensor directly at Leica Wetzlar 3 years ago. Is like buying a “sensorless” body for 250 bucks 😂.

These days that money buys a new, very competent full-frame kit (from other brands of course).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Hey

To the main post i can say -"me too".

Bought a M9 with new Sensor (in 2016) and check up in 2021 a few days ago. I love it so much that today i sold my big Panasonic/Lumix/PanaLeica System for a few thousand Euros and bought a very very nice Summilux 50/1.4.

The photos are so great in this combination and for me the M9 is so simple, so clean- just take photos. Love it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, Altruistica said:

Hey Hey

To the main post i can say -"me too".

Bought a M9 with new Sensor (in 2016) and check up in 2021 a few days ago. I love it so much that today i sold my big Panasonic/Lumix/PanaLeica System for a few thousand Euros and bought a very very nice Summilux 50/1.4.

The photos are so great in this combination and for me the M9 is so simple, so clean- just take photos. Love it.

Congratulations!  After all of these years it's still my favourite digital M.

But I am biased, and a little crazy.

—Peter.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2022 at 5:16 AM, rivi1969 said:

More than who would be "the crazy ones" buying M9s in 2022...

The question is: Who would be the crazy ones selling them??  

Exactly. I almost sold mine at one time when was very bored and frustrated, meaning not quite sane. So very glad did not sell!

Just this Friday I told a model I have (almost) 14 years old camera. She said "well yeah, that is your style, you do your thing". I said a new camera would not make me a better photographer. She said she understands what I mean.

If a new camera would make me a better photographer, then I would surely buy one and improve myself 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by maitoparta
Obligatory "pic or it did not happen".

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a new one who bought an M9-P. I always used Sony (I started with photography in 2016 - mirrorless era). The body is at my side but I didn’t get a lens to enjoy it :-(. I’ve bought a Carl Zeiss Biogon 35mm 2.8 on Ebay and counting time…

I checked if mine has the new sensor and YES!!!  Number 15 showed me the system. 

Now I have to read lot of posts here to learn any aspects of the M9. 

Thanks