New fp L Owner & Need Some Advice

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received my fp L and have a lot to think about.

Does the fear of attaching the EVF and breaking it ever subside? Or do you just attach it and never take it off?

Any recommendations for a bag that accommodates the camera with the EVF attached plus a few M lenses? Right now my Billingham bag for an M-system is too small unless I detach the EVF every time I stow the camera.

Does anyone have experience using the LVF-11 viewfinder?

• How is the viewing experience versus the EVF?
  • Looks like the buttons along the bottom are covered over with another set of buttons that are a part of the viewfinder – are they just as easy to operate and still feel solid?
  • Does the rig feel more solid with the LVF-11 versus the EVF or does it still feel wonky?

Accessories on the way:

• SmallRig Camera Cage with Wooden Grip – I'm thinking this will keep the fp L w/EVF from feeling like it could snap in half by accident
  • SmallRig Wooden Side Hand Grip – looks to work with both viewfinders, will use mainly with body-only

M lenses I will be using on it for now:

• 28 Lux
  • ZM 50 f/2
  • CV 75 1.5

Lenses I'm considering:

• 50 Lux BC (owned previously)
  • Sigma 45 2.8 DG
  • Sigma 35 1.2 (because wow)
  • Sigma 150-600 (I shoot a lot of telephoto landscape)
  • Leica 90-280

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

I just bought the fp to use my M-lenses in FF. The Elmar 50mm f/3.5 needs a saving ring, it would sink too deep into the camera.

I shall not buy the LVF-11, because it doubles the size of the camera and requires to fasten two screws. I shall use my Hoodman loupe in the case I need a loupe. They should have made a flippable LCD screen (for a waist-level view). 

I consider to buy the EVF. The EVF looks good, but it seems to be a bit difficult to mount. So I would not plan to take it off to carry the camera in a small bag, if I were you. One mounts the EVF with tripod screw, no breaking danger.

I also consider to buy a Canon EF adapter. The 24mm would double the camera size too.😏

Edited by jankap
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Just received my fp L and have a lot to think about.

Does the fear of attaching the EVF and breaking it ever subside? Or do you just attach it and never take it off?

Any recommendations for a bag that accommodates the camera with the EVF attached plus a few M lenses? Right now my Billingham bag for an M-system is too small unless I detach the EVF every time I stow the camera.

Does anyone have experience using the LVF-11 viewfinder?

• How is the viewing experience versus the EVF?
  • Looks like the buttons along the bottom are covered over with another set of buttons that are a part of the viewfinder – are they just as easy to operate and still feel solid?
  • Does the rig feel more solid with the LVF-11 versus the EVF or does it still feel wonky?

Accessories on the way:

• SmallRig Camera Cage with Wooden Grip – I'm thinking this will keep the fp L w/EVF from feeling like it could snap in half by accident
  • SmallRig Wooden Side Hand Grip – looks to work with both viewfinders, will use mainly with body-only

M lenses I will be using on it for now:

• 28 Lux
  • ZM 50 f/2
  • CV 75 1.5

Lenses I'm considering:

• 50 Lux BC (owned previously)
  • Sigma 45 2.8 DG
  • Sigma 35 1.2 (because wow)
  • Sigma 150-600 (I shoot a lot of telephoto landscape)
  • Leica 90-280

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

I have both the Sigma Fp and Fp-L and also both viewfinders, so can share a few thoughts.

The brilliance of the Fp series is its tiny size/big imaging punch. It is definitely a quirky, idiosyncratic system. 

Both viewfinders increase the footprint of the camera by a significant amount and they feel like add-ons. That said, both viewfinders are excellent at doing what they are meant to do.

The LVF makes the camera an odd size and limits its usefulness as a compact carry. But the view is big and bright and beautifully sharp. The buttons below are reproduced in the LVF and they work just fine. It is fun to use but definitely on the wonky side. I used it for a while - haven't for some time.

The EVF also makes the camera larger and the method of attachment is somewhat funky. I've tightened down the attachment screw and mounted the strap lug. I don't plan to remove it from the Fp-L. I've taken it on long walks and have not experienced issues with security or fragility... but I understand your concern.

The camera is much more versatile with it attached. With the rear screen as the only viewfinder, it is very difficult to use in bright daylight. It's fine indoors, but then the Fp series is limited in use indoors under artificial light, due to the electronic only shutter. I pretty much leave it at 1/60 second indoors to avoid banding. This is far from ideal.

Coming from the eye sensor enabled EVF on the SL and Q2, the on/off switch on the Sigma EVF feels a little... wonky. ;^) But it works.

These caveats stated, both Fp models produce marvelous images. I use the VM apo-Lanthar 50 and 35 lenses mostly now, but I have L-mount adapters allowing me to use my lifetime collection of old Leica and Nikon glass and it is tremendous fun getting to use and love these old lenses again. I fashioned grips for both the cameras from hardwood and aluminum - I've posted photos of these before. 

Currently my small A&A ACAM1000 bag holds the Leica Q2M and Sigma fp-L with EVF and VM apo50 mounted in the large section. The lens section holds the VM apo35 and Summilux 50 asph, extra batteries and chargers for both cameras. This is my fav travel kit for the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the advice. I have the Hawk's Factory M to L macro adapter ordered. I like that it has an adjustable infinity hard stop so you can set infinity differently for every lens if needed.

Unfortunately, the fp L and I did't see eye-to-eye, so I have returned it and have an SL2-S arriving tomorrow. The fp L is a very cool camera with amazing output, but as a rig, it's just too awkward for me as a walk-around camera.

6 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Thanks for the advice. I have the Hawk's Factory M to L macro adapter ordered. I like that it has an adjustable infinity hard stop so you can set infinity differently for every lens if needed.

Unfortunately, the fp L and I did't see eye-to-eye, so I have returned it and have an SL2-S arriving tomorrow. The fp L is a very cool camera with amazing output, but as a rig, it's just too awkward for me as a walk-around camera.

It's definitely a labor to love the fp-L. I've decided to trade in my SL 601 + the Leica promotion for the original Sigma Fp for the SL2-s. Will keep the Fp-L in the bag for now for its high resolution sensor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alan Friedman said:

It's definitely a labor to love the fp-L. I've decided to trade in my SL 601 + the Leica promotion for the original Sigma Fp for the SL2-s. Will keep the Fp-L in the bag for now for its high resolution sensor. 

In time I may re-purchase just the fp L without the EVF and use the LVF-11 instead. I just wish I could assign the four-way controller to move the focus points directly without the current two-button press that's required to activate it. I guess the work-around would be to focus/recompose. Anyway, I will also have to see how good the SL2-S multi-shot is, and that may get me by until I get an M11 or we get an SL3 with the same sensor.

Sorry, but what do you expect. A camera has to take pictures. Even a Barnack does that.

Everything else is modern marketing to make sales, by throwing the used cameras into the bin and buying a new one with  more electronic. In a car electronic extras are perhaps making sense. But photographing is not dangerous. OK, if one develops his films by himself......:eek:

Citation: The fp L is a very cool camera with amazing output.

Edited by jankap
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 7:04 AM, jankap said:

Sorry, but what do you expect. A camera has to take pictures. Even a Barnack does that.

Everything else is modern marketing to make sales, by throwing the used cameras into the bin and buying a new one with  more electronic. In a car electronic extras are perhaps making sense. But photographing is not dangerous. OK, if one develops his films by himself......:eek:

Citation: The fp L is a very cool camera with amazing output.

I have no idea what you're saying here.

• Like 1