Leica SL2 / SL2s - Firmware 4.0 Requests

Advertisement (gone after registration)

51 minutes ago, hossegor said:

i need DOF preview for Product photography and portraits. i need to see how much is in focus without having to guess it. this is a very basic function all other mirrorless camera i used has. 

Have you ever find the scale DOF indicator on the top useful , it is very accurate..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I agree with Malabito, especially as someone who does a lot of low light work. That said, I think it is entirely reasonable and appropriate to want a DOF preview function. That should be there. It is an compositional aid that has been in SLRs practically since they were invented, and viewing the aperture which you are photographing is one of the main variables in dictating how an image looks as a final picture, so it is strange it is not available in a camera which is designed with a through the lens viewing system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malabito said:

Actually, not stopping down when half pressing the shutter is a huge advantage, and doing it was one of the main reasons so many criticized Sony cameras at the beginning, (not sure if this is still an issue haven't used a Sony in a long time).

That all makes perfect sense, thank you! I had not considered that. I guess for the Q2 and the style of shooting that it lends itself to, stopping down on half press does not matter quite as much.

Ideally the camera would leave the aperture open for any continuous/tracking AF modes, but could stop down on a half press after focusing for AF-S mode. Of course there is no reason not to allow DOF preview to be assignable to a function button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of assignable function buttons, I wish the SL2(s) would allow me to disable options per function buttons so it only shows me the options I want when I press and hold down on them, a la Q2. I am never, ever going to assign “Picture Styles” to a function button, so why do I have to scroll past it every time? I don’t want to hunt through 3 pages of options on a long press, just the 2 or 3 realistic options I may choose per button. This is so much cleaner on the Q2!

5 hours ago, hossegor said:

i need DOF preview for Product photography and portraits. i need to see how much is in focus without having to guess it. this is a very basic function all other mirrorless camera i used has. 

Yes. I am very surprised to be made aware that Leica SL2 EVF is not WYSIWYG. Apparently I don't need it, as I never noticed I don't have it on the SL2 until this thread. 

• Like 1

Jumping in a bit late, but I am confused.  When I focus my SL2-S I feel like it is WISIWYG in terms of what's in focus and what's out of focus.  I can actually see the parts that are in focus and the parts that are out of focus (hence DOF).  If I change the focus I see what's in focus changing in the EVF, if I change the aperture I see the DOF increasing in the EVF.  When I take the picture and hold down my shutter for preview, the image I take looks exactly like the image before I pressed the shutter in terms of DOF, exposure and composition. What am I missing?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, LikameLeica said:

Jumping in a bit late, but I am confused.  When I focus my SL2-S I feel like it is WISIWYG in terms of what's in focus and what's out of focus.  I can actually see the parts that are in focus and the parts that are out of focus (hence DOF).  If I change the focus I see what's in focus changing in the EVF, if I change the aperture I see the DOF increasing in the EVF.  When I take the picture and hold down my shutter for preview, the image I take looks exactly like the image before I pressed the shutter in terms of DOF, exposure and composition. What am I missing?

The DoF you see through the EVF is visually representative of the largest available aperture on the lens. So if you’re always shooting wide open, then what you see is reflective of what you’ll get. However, if you stopped down to get a wider DoF, the EVF does not show that. It is still showing the DoF for the widest aperture.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:00 PM, 2436 said:

1. Bracketing

1.1. Unfortunately, you cannot currently combine automatic exposure bracketing with a self-timer on the SL2. This is very annoying as you are forced to either use a remote shutter release or the Leica app to get a shake-free shot. Both are often very time consuming. I therefore propose to integrate an option for a self-timer in the exposure bracketing menu - similar to the multi-shot mode.

yes please Leica

I need an AFC when using the rear button (done in MF mode)

using this method, I never get AFC with the back button…

so Leica please add a MF (1 or single) and MF (2 continuous)  

I also need the (vibration warning box) to be changed to not block the whole viewfinder when framing and adjusting level when using multi shoot mode…

and 

I also need the Wi-Fi remote on my iPhone to be able to work in multi shoot mode.  I do not need any images to be downloaded to my phone.  I just want it as a live view trigger.  Thanks.

Robb

On 1/31/2022 at 4:00 PM, 2436 said:

Dear Leica fan girls and boys, I am an enthusiastic landscape photographer and bought the SL2 a good two years ago. I chose the Leica SL2 mainly because of its unique operation and excellent menus. Nevertheless, there are some features that I sorely miss on the SL2 and make taking pictures unnecessarily difficult. I’ve mailed the following firmware request to Leica. I hope they’re reading this forum too. What do you guys think of my suggestions and what do you wish for the firmware 4.0?

1. Bracketing

1.1. Unfortunately, you cannot currently combine automatic exposure bracketing with a self-timer on the SL2. This is very annoying as you are forced to either use a remote shutter release or the Leica app to get a shake-free shot. Both are often very time consuming. I therefore propose to integrate an option for a self-timer in the exposure bracketing menu - similar to the multi-shot mode.

that is also my concern and I also mailed it to Leica via leicafotos app as a request! 

1.2. Currently you can only choose between 3 and 5 shots for exposure bracketing. Due to the good dynamic range of the SL2, however, in most cases it is sufficient to take only 2 shots, e.g. a normally exposed shot and an underexposed shot for the highlights. It would be very nice to see Leica cameras offering more flexibility in the bracketing menu.

top ! 

2. Aspect Ratio

2.1 It is currently not possible to assign the selection of the aspect ratio to any of the function buttons or the favorites menu. As a landscape photographer, I often change the aspect ratio and always have to search in the menu in a very cumbersome way. I therefore propose to integrate the aspect ratio option into the direct access menu of the Fn buttons and the favorites menu.

ok: I did not know this! 
why do you change the aspect ratio? 
so that you get the impression? 

2.2 When it comes to selecting aspect ratios, I really miss the classic film formats 5:4 and 17:6 as well as the 2:1 format, which are particularly popular with landscape photographers.

yes this is helpful 

2.3. Unfortunately, the aspect ratios in the selection are currently not sorted according to their ratio. I therefore suggest sorting them, starting with 1:1.

3. Auto Iso

The auto-ISO function currently regulates the limiting shutter speed of the SL2 via the set focal length in a ratio of 1/(2*focal length). In my opinion, this ratio is too high due to the good image stabilization in the SL2 and leads to unnecessarily high ISO values and thus to increased image noise. I therefore suggest adding a second auto function that limits the exposure time according to the ratio 1/focal length (similar to the M11).

very good 

4. Depth of field preview

Almost every professional camera on the market offers a depth of field preview according to the selected aperture, only the Leica SL2 does not. I imagine that Leica could put depth of field preview on the Fn buttons and then when you press the button, the lens stops down according to the chosen aperture.

Yes pls ! 

and ! 

Add Bulbramping to the Timelapse function. So that we can use the camera for Timelapse’s that start during the night and keep on shooting during the sunrise and day! 

For those who were wanting DoF previous capability, this has now been added with the latest FW released today.

A few other interesting features that I’ve been wanting and is now added:

• Improved geotagging status notification
  • Ability to turn off display (and AF/sensor) to save power but keep the camera powered on to maintain bluetooth connection with Fotos app for geotagging and top status display

Other nice features I’m sure others are keen to see:

• Raw HDMI output for video
  • HDMI output via USB
  • Showing which face/eye is being tracked and the ability to switch between eyes or faces
  • Improved support for other L-mount alliance lenses (no details on what it is though)
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 6:51 AM, Photoworks said:

Have you ever find the scale DOF indicator on the top useful , it is very accurate..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If the data was available in the EVF it would be priceless. Currently its only available in MF and on the top screen.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 6:22 AM, Malabito said:

I have very simple requirements:

<snip>

- memory recall settings for none 6 bit coded lenses. You can have perhaps 5 slots, one for 35mm ...one for a 50mm etc... and when you mount a non 6 bit coded lenses you can call this to select the lens faster than having to scroll through all leica lenses, (or just give you the option to disable some lenses from the menu). Can you even select the focal length without having to select a lens?

Yes, this. I would imagine most folks would own just a few uncoded lenses, so why not be able to save as 'favorites' the ones you do own?

5 hours ago, mbmoore said:

Yes, this. I would imagine most folks would own just a few uncoded lenses, so why not be able to save as 'favorites' the ones you do own?

You can remove/hide lenses from the list and basically have a favourites list with only the lenses you own,.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beewee said:

You can remove/hide lenses from the list and basically have a favourites list with only the lenses you own,.

Thats a great tip! Also, the list of lenses is profile dependent, you can have only a set for one profile and another for another one if needed.

It took me a while to figure this out :) now i have only the lenses i use.