Leica SL2 / SL2s - Firmware 4.0 Requests

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would love

1. Custom ibis focal length input for non-6-bit manual lenses.

2. ProRes RAW external recording

3. Support XLR adapters like Panasonic XLR adapter or make one for the SL lineup, it will be a great cinema/documentary run and gun setup for one-man work. External recorders are great but sometimes you just want a simple and swift operation.

4. Double exposure jpeg engine

5. Improve boot-up time or optimize for lenses to not affect boot-up time.

6. Additional Fn customization for the rear dial like the M11.

7. Sensor upgrade program with phase-detect to improve the autofocus or program a mad AI to autofocus contrast-detect quicker.

8. Autofocus M-L adapter like Techart for Sony E and Nikon Z mount. Even if it is slow, it will change the use of M lenses with the SL. (Likewise for S and R lenses)

Hope these happen because it will up the game for these amazing cameras. 

Edited by PixelAllen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PixelAllen said:

Would love

1. Custom ibis focal length input for non-6-bit manual lenses.

2. ProRes RAW external recording

3. Support XLR adapters like Panasonic XLR adapter or make one for the SL lineup, it will be a great cinema/documentary run and gun setup for one-man work. External recorders are great but sometimes you just want a simple and swift operation.

4. Double exposure jpeg engine

5. Improve boot-up time or optimize for lenses to not affect boot-up time.

6. Additional Fn customization for the rear dial like the M11.

7. Sensor upgrade program with phase-detect to improve the autofocus or program a mad AI to autofocus contrast-detect quicker.

8. Autofocus M-L adapter like Techart for Sony E and Nikon Z mount. Even if it is slow, it will change the use of M lenses with the SL. (Likewise for S and R lenses)

Hope these happen because it will up the game for these amazing cameras. 

Phase detect would be difficult to add in firmware no? 😂

Couple for me, that have already been mentioned:

1. Depth of field preview

2. Manual entry of focal length for IBIS with unrecognised lenses

And one that I don't think has been mentioned:

3. Better indicator of battery charge level. I like to see a percentage as a number rather than (or as well as) just a graphic blob.

John

• Like 1

I have very simple requirements:

-  possibility to disable shutter autofocus so i can use back focus button with so called leica certified Panasonic lenses, (no you need to set the lens to manual, but leica pana certified lenses uses a clutch, so this is not an option).

- assign change iso to fn button, you can assign the iso settings tab, but you will still need to move to the iso settings and change it

- possibility to assign change iso values to the front or back wheel

- possibility to assign minimum shutter speed when in auto iso to a fn button, therefore i can shoot with autoiso, but when i need to increase my minimum speed i can do it directly

- possibility to assign a saved profile to the default one, what th eheck is a default profile, if you can not make it your own

- when camera comes out of sleeping or you turn it on, it doesn't show you what was the last profile you have selected

- possibility to be able to assign eye detect enable disable to a button, you can be using any other focus option you press this button this enables eye detect, you press it again it disables it, very useful for events.

- so called automatic enhance live view to not disable focus peaking when the enhance part is not active, its supposed to be automatic no?

- memory recall settings for none 6 bit coded lenses. You can have perhaps 5 slots, one for 35mm ...one for a 50mm etc... and when you mount a non 6 bit coded lenses you can call this to select the lens faster than having to scroll through all leica lenses, (or just give you the option to disable some lenses from the menu). Can you even select the focal length without having to select a lens?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Touch AF in EVF needs to be updated to the same level as the latest Q2 firmware. Currently on the SL2-S, it's a disaster. Double-tapping the LCD while using the EVF activates the "push-hold" functionality instead of resetting the focus point to center, meaning: 1) in Spot mode, this brings up the AF Mode menu and 2) in Field mode, this gives the box expansion red corners for changing the field focus box size. The latest Q2 firmware makes sense of this terrible user interface behavior.

Double-tap LCD to re-center focus point is not reliably accepting the double-tap and only works about 20% of the time. Most of the time, a double-tap on the LCD just moves the focus point to where I double-tapped.

Desperately need an updated manual focus lens focal length entry menu with the ability to save our own custom presets. Give us A LOT of slots for the presets – fifty perhaps. Let us name the saved presets, and that name gets written to EXIF as the lens type along with the focal length we selected.

With manual focus lenses, pushing the joystick should toggle between magnified view and unmagnified view so we don't have to half-press the shutter button to exit magnification.

Manual focus needs its own focus point assist option: a 3:2 white rectangle outline that represents the area of the screen that will be magnified when zooming is activated. It's often more helpful to see the area of the screen that we will be zooming into than only seeing a central point.

There should be separate Capture Assistant screens for shooting versus playback. It is lazy programming to have them grouped together. For example, I need to use Focus Peaking when shooting, but I don't need it to show up in the image when it's played back – that is asinine, IMO. The electronic level at the time of capture does not show during playback, so why does focus peaking show up in playback anyway?

• Like 1

As someone that loves vintage lenses from Leica and many others and loves the SL2S as a tool for using these lenses, please make IBIS on/off independent of lens selection. Please also stop forcing us to dig into the menus every single time we change a lens. I would go from loving my SL2S most of the time to all of the time if I could select no lens profile, IBIS on and not have it change on me every time I change a lens. I would love to lock it into this mode regardless of lenses being removed. This small but easily changed firmware option would be such a pleasure vs being really annoyed every time I swap a lens. Thank you.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 349A said:

As someone that loves vintage lenses from Leica and many others and loves the SL2S as a tool for using these lenses, please make IBIS on/off independent of lens selection. Please also stop forcing us to dig into the menus every single time we change a lens. I would go from loving my SL2S most of the time to all of the time if I could select no lens profile, IBIS on and not have it change on me every time I change a lens. I would love to lock it into this mode regardless of lenses being removed. This small but easily changed firmware option would be such a pleasure vs being really annoyed every time I swap a lens. Thank you.

The camera has to know what the focal length of the lens is in order for IBIS to work correctly. It can't calculate how to compensate for movement without knowing that. This is the same with all IBIS-equipped cameras when you attach a lens that doesn't communicate the focal length to the body. With manual focus lenses attached to the SL/SL2/SL2-S, unless they are 6-bit coded, the camera doesn't know the focal length.

So this would be what I think we want:

• L-mount AF lens attached – no prompt for what lens to select (how it works now)
  • M-mount lens with 6-bit code – update the firmware so it works like the AF lenses and doesn't make us confirm the profile
  • M-mount lens uncoded – prompt us to select a profile or enter the focal length
  • Custom lens profiles – let us save our own so that we can just generically select "50mm" so that IBIS can work without choosing a Leica lens profile

On the SL2-S, I can turn IBIS on and off independently of what lens I'm using or what lens profile I have selected. 

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, hdmesa said:

The camera has to know what the focal length of the lens is in order for IBIS to work correctly. It can't calculate how to compensate for movement without knowing that. This is the same with all IBIS-equipped cameras when you attach a lens that doesn't communicate the focal length to the body. With manual focus lenses attached to the SL/SL2/SL2-S, unless they are 6-bit coded, the camera doesn't know the focal length.

So this would be what I think we want:

• L-mount AF lens attached – no prompt for what lens to select (how it works now)
  • M-mount lens with 6-bit code – update the firmware so it works like the AF lenses and doesn't make us confirm the profile
  • M-mount lens uncoded – prompt us to select a profile or enter the focal length
  • Custom lens profiles – let us save our own so that we can just generically select "50mm" so that IBIS can work without choosing a Leica lens profile

On the SL2-S, I can turn IBIS on and off independently of what lens I'm using or what lens profile I have selected. 

Thanks for the explanation, I didn’t know that about IBIS. Yes, let us make some profiles. I have 45mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 85mm, 100mm… I don’t need or want corrections, I want IBIS. Currently every time I pull a lens, it defaults to unknown lens and I need to fiddle in the menu rather than just continuing my shooting. I’d love a quick menu with my selected lenses, both 3rd party and uncoded Leica. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 349A said:

Thanks for the explanation, I didn’t know that about IBIS. Yes, let us make some profiles. I have 45mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 85mm, 100mm… I don’t need or want corrections, I want IBIS. Currently every time I pull a lens, it defaults to unknown lens and I need to fiddle in the menu rather than just continuing my shooting. I’d love a quick menu with my selected lenses, both 3rd party and uncoded Leica. 

You can edit the list of all the Leica profiles so that only certain ones show, which does help. With a non-coded lens attached, scroll to the end of the list of profiles, and the option to edit the list will be there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, Chun Chang said:

Phase detect would be difficult to add in firmware no? 😂

I am seeking an entire sensor upgrade program since it isn't a software issue, it is the hardware itself. Phase detect sensor upgrade will bring Leica sl2-s which is video-centric to new heights in terms of af capabilities in the expense of possibly banding in high iso.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:22 AM, Malabito said:

- possibility to assign a saved profile to the default one, what th eheck is a default profile, if you can not make it your own

- when camera comes out of sleeping or you turn it on, it doesn't show you what was the last profile you have selected

These +1 - very annoying it works the way it does.

Cheers,   -Peter

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

I like to see firmware update.. wifi is stupid and frustrating most of the times, this would be a game changer for my work

Tether over USB-C in fotos app to iPad Pro. similar to M11

especially since capture one for iPad is coming!

What would be even better, is a native Fotos App for MacOS

The current app can run natively on M1 equipped Macbooks even now, but Leica disabled the option, possibly because of compatibility issues. But all they need to do is adjust the UI to match a keyboard/mouse input instead of touch events, and other minor things.

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

What would be even better, is a native Fotos App for MacOS

The current app can run natively on M1 equipped Macbooks even now, but Leica disabled the option, possibly because of compatibility issues. But all they need to do is adjust the UI to match a keyboard/mouse input instead of touch events, and other minor things.

On the Mac I like the Capture One tether function better.. you can't do any adjustments in the Fotos app.

I don't want always to run around with my laptop, often the iPad is more applicable for clients.

I like to know how you would use the FOTOS app on MacOS, and what would be the benefit?

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

On the Mac I like the Capture One tether function better.. you can't do any adjustments in the Fotos app.

I don't want always to run around with my laptop, often the iPad is more applicable for clients.

I like to know how you would use the FOTOS app on MacOS, and what would be the benefit?

Because I use Lightroom and don't use C1, and I don't want to get an extra license just for tethering, a feature that to be honest I don't use very often.

I can see the benefits for people using C1 🙂