Supply Shortages

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just read a story about how the global semiconductor shortage is affecting camera makers. I'm wondering what kind of delays people who have ordered the M11 are being told to expect? I suppose one problem getting an answer to this question is that dealers usually won't divulge how long their waiting lists are. Anybody got the inside scoop?

6 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I just read a story about how the global semiconductor shortage is affecting camera makers. I'm wondering what kind of delays people who have ordered the M11 are being told to expect? I suppose one problem getting an answer to this question is that dealers usually won't divulge how long their waiting lists are. Anybody got the inside scoop?

From Amateur Photographer:

LEICA (statement from Leica UK managing director Jason Heward)
‘I would say that, so far, our production and supply chain team has done a great job in managing these turbulent times. As a medium-size manufacturer the pressure is different than that faced by the larger, mass manufacturers. We also do not have an internal competition for components from other product divisions, so we can focus solely on one core range. We have seen a many-fold increase in the price of components but have largely managed to absorb these so far. The outlook for the next six to 12 months is still challenging and it’s unlikely that we won’t have moments when we are unable to meet customer demand. We will plan for these as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment.’

• Thanks 1

On the one hand, there is not an obvious shortage of forum members who already have M11s, and are posting pictures (above and beyond the beta-testers here). See the M11 images thread.

OTOH, my local store checked with their Leica rep, and while they will get their first M11 fairly soon, the 2nd and 3rd cameras they ordered may take "6-8 months." That could, of course simply be an exercise in managing expectations ("Tell them 6-8 months, and then they will be pleasantly surprised if it only takes 3 months" ;) ). That was the news as of last week, anyway.

Leica does tend to use air-freight rather than ocean shipping, which is not only faster in and of itself, but also avoids the current problems with jammed seaports.

But as to parts fabrication (e.g. semiconductors: Sony - sensor; Fujitsu - Maestro III CPU; ???? - batteries; etc.) - I don't know.... Probably depends on geography. Sony apparently discontinued some of their own camera models earlier than expected, due to chip shortages (or at least that's the excuse.)

• Thanks 2

For the aggressive early adopters (who post their pictures here on the LUF), Leica seems to have stuffed their stores with early shipments, but not done well by ordinary stores.  My impression is that if you are a small store (or perhaps even a B&H -- not in the Leica family -- you might see one or two based on a pre-order and working with a Leica rep, but then have a long wait.  Each of the L--stores in the East Cast US got a dozen or more units close to the announcement date.  Even the Leica online channel shared in the wealth. Things have been more balanced in the past.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So many anxious buyers, and that is good.  Just remember, your current M is no slouch when it comes to your photography!  Use it until you M11 arrives and please do not say to yourself, “I can no longer take good photographs with an out of date M!”  

Edited by rsh