Stay with SL2-S or get M11?

tonyNZ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Another vote for the mighty little Ricoh. 

I recently got a GRIII and it's permanently in my pocket, set to F8 and Snap Focus (Ricoh's equivalent of zone focusing). Can't beat that for portability and speed.

I bought the iiix. After two weeks the ring around the lens was lost. IQ to me is still disappointing, especially as there is quite some distortion.

That said, it is the best portable option but still I regret buying it.

19 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I bought the iiix. After two weeks the ring around the lens was lost. IQ to me is still disappointing, especially as there is quite some distortion.

That said, it is the best portable option but still I regret buying it.

No problems with mine. Lemons happen to all companies. The only cameras I had to send for repairs with were 2 Leicas, a Q2 and a M10 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

No problems with mine. Lemons happen to all companies. The only cameras I had to send for repairs with were 2 Leicas, a Q2 and a M10 🤷‍♂️

I assume the ring part could be a lemon, but IQ is probably me not liking it. Didn’t like it on the previous versions either.

that said, no other camera is so easy to shoot with one hand. 

mixed feelings.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, Simone_DF said:

The ring part could be a lemon, but the ring is also user replaceable, you can buy them in different colors, maybe yours was just a bit too loose?

Thanks. For now gaffer tape did the job to cover the 5 metal parts….

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m struggling a bit with this myself. I only use the M11 with the evf and hand grip. Like a mini, manual SL body. But I’m yearning for AF for my kids. Asking a 4 year old to freeze with the 35 APO at minimum is intense. The walk around factor is really nice, but I’m thinking the SL2(s) bodies maybe make more sense because of me wearing glasses and only using evf. The M11 sensor is better, but in time they will put that into an SL3. So I’m wondering if I should ditch the M11 and go SL2/SL2-s and maybe a Q2/Q2M to stay small. The only benefit I can think of for the M is the size and maybe using the 28 5.6 with no evf and it’s a little point and shoot- but that’s all. M glass works great on the SL’s and they now have ibis. So… I’m in the same boat. M11 EVF or SL2/s

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBabyEarl said:

I’m struggling a bit with this myself. I only use the M11 with the evf and hand grip. Like a mini, manual SL body. But I’m yearning for AF for my kids. Asking a 4 year old to freeze with the 35 APO at minimum is intense. The walk around factor is really nice, but I’m thinking the SL2(s) bodies maybe make more sense because of me wearing glasses and only using evf. The M11 sensor is better, but in time they will put that into an SL3. So I’m wondering if I should ditch the M11 and go SL2/SL2-s and maybe a Q2/Q2M to stay small. The only benefit I can think of for the M is the size and maybe using the 28 5.6 with no evf and it’s a little point and shoot- but that’s all. M glass works great on the SL’s and they now have ibis. So… I’m in the same boat. M11 EVF or SL2/s

oh so you sold your SL? i remember you said you got the 50 SL lens

On 2/1/2022 at 3:13 AM, LikameLeica said:

I have found myself with the same but slightly different question.  I have been an SL user from the first SL through to now owning an SL2 and SL2-S.  I have never owned a digital M, but have an M6 I inherited and tried out a bit, but just really like the ease and benefits of digital.  The lure of the digital M is always in my mind and the release of the M11 makes it very tempting.  So now to my thoughts for you.  I would think about buying some M glass for your SL2-S and see if that keeps you happy.  I really enjoy the experience of using M glass on the SL system and the benefits of the EVF and IBIS.  One of my favorite lenses on the SL is the native 35 SL for image quality and look and feel, however I enjoy using the M 35 summilux much more and the image quality is also very very good. The weight is much more manageable using the SL2-S or SL2 with M glass.  Then if after some time you then decide that you want to try out the M11 or whatever M body exists at a point in the future, you will have more than just the (21 mm) M lens to use on the camera.  You will hopefully have enjoyed the use on the SL2-S along the way with the additional M lenses and keep both the SL2-S and the M11 for the different user experience they both bring.

Revisiting my post from February.  I finally caved into my craving for a M and purchased the M in April.  It honestly has been a love - hate relationship.  I truly love the shooting experience, but the learning curve has been steep.  

Positives:

• Size and weight of the body - I have the EVF, but shoot 90% times without.  I can carry the camera with a couple lenses all day long without an actual case, where I keep the lenses in my jacket pockets.  Usually only carry the camera with 35 FLE attached and 50 summilux in my pocket.  Size may not be a lot different, but weight is certainly noticeable.  
  • Resolution/Cropping Ability - the ability to crop in with the 60MP files means I can actually just carry one lens and then crop in in post edit.
  • Range Finder Experience - Again steep learning curve, but makes me think about the pictures a bit more.  Pushing my capabilities of not having EVF showing me the exposure in the EVF.  
  • Battery Life - all day no problem, plus with the USB-C, I am able to top up the battery on the go with the same battery boost that I use with my mobile
  • Live View - with either EVF or back of camera LCD

Negatives

• Slower start-up than SL2-S
  • EVF Accessory is good, but not great compared to the SL2-S built in EVF.
  • Low Light - The SL2-S is a better camera for streets at night, in terms of noise - but not a major gap.
  • Glasses - I were glasses for reading and with the SL2-S EVF I do not need to take glasses on and off to see picture/results.  With the M and no EVF I need to take glasses on and off.

Conclusion

• Since purchasing the M, I have only used my SL2-S a couple of times.  This is partially because I am trying to get through the learning curve, but I think it is also because I am really beginning to enjoy the challenge and joy of the M range finder experience.  This does not mean SL users should all go buy an M, but if you have the means to have both, the M is a lot of fun and the ability to use your M lenses on both is a positive for two camera system.  If I only had the funds for 1 camera, I think I would still recommend the SL2-S.
  • Like 6

On 8/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, BigBabyEarl said:

It’s very difficult to shoot higher megapixel camera’s handheld without showing camera shake. So you end up using higher shutter speeds and higher ISO’s.  There’s several YouTube videos about it as well.  I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned this as you chase your children around trying to take snaps.  I would go with the sl2-s  and the BSI sensor. I think the all around usability would be much better suited for your subject matter.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 7:32 PM, Jim B said:

It’s very difficult to shoot higher megapixel camera’s handheld without showing camera shake. So you end up using higher shutter speeds and higher ISO’s.  There’s several YouTube videos about it as well.  I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned this as you chase your children around trying to take snaps.  I would go with the sl2-s  and the BSI sensor. I think the all around usability would be much better suited for your subject matter.

Maybe because I set my M11 to be no less than 1/250 on a 35mm lens. In daylight at iso 64 that is a non issue. Nor has it been on interiors. I shot my kids running around at f8 and had zero shake. Kinda shoot and hope for the best. You definitely can miss moments though when you want to go shallower depth of field and that’s where AF jumps in. Is the tracking AF of the SL2-s ON PAR (not equal or better, close) to that of a z9 or Sony?

The SL2(s) for sure is more flexible in regards of AF/zoom options/Tele/video than the M11.

I wouldnt mind about the sensor, and just decide based on the needs regarding the camera.

As a owner of both SL-system and M11 I have to say that I love the M with 28-50mm and using the OVF.

Now its not an action/sports combo. I also own a Canon R5 since even the SL2(s) C-AF didnt make totally happy for sports.

So now I wonder if I might ditch SL-system and use the M-system + Canon for AF/Tele/Zooms etc.

But I have invested so much in the SL system that I will probably keep it for now.

If I had only one systems the SL might be a great compromise between the small sized M and great glass and the super fast and flexible Canon R5.

• Like 1

SL2-S for work and autofocus needs, and an M-P 240 for “my” photography. Both with native Leica glass of course. I think having both is important to the user experience. I don’t think the SL2S could be my only camera. Too high tech, and the magic of the rangefinder is critical for me when making my personal work

6 hours ago, Laharrier said:

SL2-S for work and autofocus needs, and an M-P 240 for “my” photography. Both with native Leica glass of course. I think having both is important to the user experience. I don’t think the SL2S could be my only camera. Too high tech, and the magic of the rangefinder is critical for me when making my personal work

I only have 'my' photography as an enthusiast amateur, so 'work' as such is not in the equation, except that I have AF needs as well. 10 years of M only, I'd moved to the SL2 as my only camera two years ago. Similarly, I've felt that the magic was gone fairly quickly moving to that platform up to the decision to sell it off. Camera body and the Sigma 14-24 are gone, if anyone is interested in my remaining pristine 50mm and 90mm SL Summicrons, give me a shout. Next up: back to M, or over to, say, Nikon Z. Not that I would expect 'magic' in the latter, but at least a platform that's smaller/lighter/economically more reasonable, IQ holding its ground vs SL, and AF likely more convincing.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, BigBabyEarl said:

Zone focus. It’s the best way to capture fast moving kids. Use a 28 and you’ve got like ten feet of DOF at f8. Use at least 1/250 to freeze action. You will be faster than any autofocus system in the world.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, markforce said:

I only have 'my' photography as an enthusiast amateur, so 'work' as such is not in the equation, except that I have AF needs as well. 10 years of M only, I'd moved to the SL2 as my only camera two years ago. Similarly, I've felt that the magic was gone fairly quickly moving to that platform up to the decision to sell it off. Camera body and the Sigma 14-24 are gone, if anyone is interested in my remaining pristine 50mm and 90mm SL Summicrons, give me a shout. Next up: back to M, or over to, say, Nikon Z. Not that I would expect 'magic' in the latter, but at least a platform that's smaller/lighter/economically more reasonable, IQ holding its ground vs SL, and AF likely more convincing.

Sounds like you need another M system. With all the issues the M11 is having why not an M10R? As mentioned I am still using my MP240 and have no real desire to change. 24mp is plenty of resolution and the color rendering is, well, beautiful. 

Maybe. Probably right. Hesitating. Used to have M9, added M246, then replaced/downsized to M10. Looking at my output, the answer is clear, and considering the fun I've had using the M, it is telling too.

(Anyone interested in the APO SL lenses? Can take offline, currently listed on a domestic auction site in Switzerland, may or may not post under Classifieds here).