Firmware update 1.2.1.0?

Ba Erv

Did the firmware update on SD card.

1.formatted the card before I added the firmware,
2. then removed the card after the upgrade.
3.Inserted a new SD card and formatted the card in camera.
4. I reformatted the card used for my upgrade on my MAC

The M11 is functioning now and I haven't had any more problems with the functions buttons.

2 hours ago, photojdoc said:

The M11 is functioning now and I haven't had any more problems with the functions buttons.

FYI: When formatting SD card on the computer, it is recommended to use the free SD Card Formatter application.

7 minutes ago, nineteenfocus said:

Why some people have problems with the fn button and some others not? if it’s a firmware issue, everyone should be affected isn’t it?

AFAIK, the likely button debouncing issue depends on the varying mechanical tolerances. Some camera will have it, some will not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SrMi said:

FYI: When formatting SD card on the computer, it is recommended to use the free SD Card Formatter application.

Plus one for SD Card Formatter.  Doing it on my computer also enables dropping a pdf onto the card with name and address, in case of loss. 

• Like 3

Installed firmware on my camera and somehow now it is bricked.   It turns on and when the sd card is in the camera it takes pictures repeatedly for no reason whatsoever.  No framelines appear in VF and no picture will appear on LCD.   Firmware seemed to install without a hitch but obviously it is pretty broken now.  I’ve tried taking the battery out for ten minutes and the SD card but same results every time.  Anyone know how to do a hard reset?

Edited by NickTheo

3 minutes ago, NickTheo said:

Installed firmware on my camera and somehow now it is bricked.   It turns on and when the sd card is in the camera it takes pictures repeatedly for no reason whatsoever.  No framelines appear in VF and no picture will appear on LCD.   Firmware seemed to install without a hitch but obviously it is pretty broken now.  I’ve tried taking the battery out for ten minutes and the as card but same results every time.  Anyone know how to do a hard reset?

Did you take the SD card out?

On 1/28/2022 at 12:37 PM, IMAGEPOWER said:

Updated as well, took around 8 minutes, chose save settings function on update process...

BUT: After update camera seemed dead.

However, I could switch it on and off, but could neither shoot nor use Live View nor get any reaction on PLAY Mode!!!

Removed battery but to no result

Removed SD Card and the camera came to life again, using internal memory.

Re-inserted SD Card, camera seemed dead again.

So finally I deleted update files on SD card on my Mac and re-inserted SD card into camera. Everything worked fine again. Formatted SD card in-camera...

Have been updating Nikons for more than 20 years and Leica Ms since 2020...never experienced such a problem...scary...

I went through the same scary process. Leica should never have let this happen. Thought I’d bricked the camera. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. Tried to upgrade firmware, following the instructions carefully.

Upon booting the camera with an SD-card containing the firmware update, the screen went black and nothing happened.

The camera still works fine with other SD cards, but the SD card I used for the firmware upgrade appears to be bricked. Even after reformatting the SD card and re-inserting it into the Leica M11, the camera behaves in the same way: Black screen, with the orange constant light. This happened with two SD cards.

Interestingly, the "bricked" SD cards work with other cameras I have. Just not with the Leica M11.

And the Leica M11 works fine with other SD cards. Just not with the two SD cards I used to attempt a firmware upgrade.

It almost seems like the Leica M11 "remembers" the two SD cards I used to attempt a firmware upgrade, and refuses to work with those cards, specifically. Even after reformatting them. But I can shoot on the Leica M11 with other SD cards, and with the internal storage as well, without any problems.

I can't figure out how to get the two "bricked" SD cards to work again with the Leica M11. Very strange behavior.

Edited by leifericf

On 1/28/2022 at 7:12 PM, photojdoc said:

My M11 camera with the latest firmware. So I didn't get a chance to update firmware via the Fotos app, something I was looking forward to. I think this is an excellent idea and don't think any other camera manufacturers is offering firmware update through their app. 

I also read the red lettered and bolded M11 instruction note at the bottom of the M11 firmware update procedures after I saw the complaints on-line. Looks like you followed those instructions 👍🏼 I would probably have missed that special note myself as like everyone else, I would have proceeded with the update as I always did.

4 hours ago, leifericf said:

Interesting. Tried to upgrade firmware, following the instructions carefully.

Upon booting the camera with an SD-card containing the firmware update, the screen went black and nothing happened.

The camera still works fine with other SD cards, but the SD card I used for the firmware upgrade appears to be bricked. Even after reformatting the SD card and re-inserting it into the Leica M11, the camera behaves in the same way: Black screen, with the orange constant light. This happened with two SD cards.

Interestingly, the "bricked" SD cards work with other cameras I have. Just not with the Leica M11.

And the Leica M11 works fine with other SD cards. Just not with the two SD cards I used to attempt a firmware upgrade.

It almost seems like the Leica M11 "remembers" the two SD cards I used to attempt a firmware upgrade, and refuses to work with those cards, specifically. Even after reformatting them. But I can shoot on the Leica M11 with other SD cards, and with the internal storage as well, without any problems.

I can't figure out how to get the two "bricked" SD cards to work again with the Leica M11. Very strange behavior.

Did you reformat the M11 firmware update SD card on your computer? According to the M11 firmware update instructions ( in red/bold at the bottom on the page) the card you used to perform the update needs to be reformatted on a computer. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb LBJ2:

Did you reformat the M11 firmware update SD card on your computer? According to the M11 firmware update instructions ( in red/bold at the bottom on the page) the card you used to perform the update needs to be reformatted on a computer. 

When I had that problem I didn't reformat that "bricked" card on the computer but just deleted the Firmware-Update on the Card. After that, the card came to life again (and my M11) and I formatted the card on the M11. So it needn't necessarily be formatted on a computer obviously. Still strange behaviour as others here advise to format on a computer and this seems to work well...

2 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

AFAIK, you only need to delete the firmware file. If you format the card with the computer, it is best to use the SD Card Formatter program (regardless of OS used).

• Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb LBJ2:

My M11 camera with the latest firmware. So I didn't get a chance to update firmware via the Fotos app, something I was looking forward to. I think this is an excellent idea and don't think any other camera manufacturers is offering firmware update through their app. 

Nikon does (at least on my Z9)