Leica Visoflex 2- Initial Thoughts

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

The zero indicator is really a non issue...

Not to me for several reasons. 

13 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

GPS will be available via the app in next update, I guess we will have to wait to see how much of a pain that is, but it makes a lot more sense to have the GPS in your pocket vs the EVF which is likely not always on the camera anyway

I could care less about the GPS itself; I never used it with the M10s anyway as the battery life was bad enough to begin with. I just find it annoying that the pricing level has gone up, yet the GPS disappeared... presumably dropping the design and manufacturing cost... and the EVF is by no means of high enough specification to compensate.  I have no problem paying a premium for the M11 as it is unique, but given I could just about buy a GRIII for the same money as the V2, for what it delivers, I can only rate it okay. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

digitalfx

Mine finally arrived...a few initial thoughts. DESIGN Based on comments its either a love/hate. Personally I really like the new design, looks great on the M11 and feels like it belongs. Compared to the previous generation which looked like an after thought the Visoflex 2 looks like its part of the camera. It feels like its a metal exterior...heavy, but defiantly not too heavy. It actually feels great. The rare earth magnets work perfectly to lock it into down position, the two additio

FlashGordonPhotography

Not really though. Leica have been making lenses that are wider than the RF window for decades and attachments to use those lenses on an M for just as long. The M hasn't been an RF only camera since the '60's. The digital Visoflexes are by a long way, the smallest, lightest and easiest to use accessories of this type that Leica has ever made. Some of the older visoflexes, bellows and viewfinders (I'm looking at you Frankenfinder....) needed their own sherpa as part of the purchase. At least you

LeicaR10

I found the new Visoflex 2 to be an outstanding and necessary piece of gear for low light photography.  The new size and resolution of the display are most welcome iMO.  I find the design to be far better and more in keeping with the lines of the M11 camera body.  I also welcome it is going to be backwards compatible with the M10-M.  I also like how the finder is made from metal vs plastic from the previous versions.  I am glad Leica updated the design and it works great for me.  r/ Mark

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Care to elaborate? I adjust it only once for my eyesight, regardless of where the zero is.

First, there are occasions where I use the camera without glasses. That means setting and reseting back to ~0.  Without a mark I actually have to think about it as there's no easy way to do this rapidly in either direction. I could drop a dot of paint or two of course, but... hack.  The other issue is that I'm not the only one to use the camera from time to time.  On occasion SWMBO or the boy decides to monkey with it without my knowledge and so it winds up being slightly out. I then find myself annoyed about just why the hell I can't seem to nail focus on something and then at some point I realize, ah the camera was out on rental again. Much more easily detected when I notice that the diopter has been moved, something I was in the habit of doing with the 020 as it was easily bumped going in and out of the bag anyway... thankfully at least inadvertent moving of the setting is less of an issue with the new unit.  Regardless, with the indent on the 020, this was more easily seen, checked and just set back to my known location rather than having to go through the process over again.

Finally, I just want to know. Vision changes over time. It's nice to have a gauge as to which direction and by how much. It would have cost almost nothing to have an indent, it's just a sloppy for a premium brand that prides itself on precision not to have included it. So yeah, its no big deal if you set it and forget it, but thats not the only use case.  

17 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

First, there are occasions where I use the camera without glasses. That means setting and reseting back to ~0.  Without a mark I actually have to think about it as there's no easy way to do this rapidly in either direction. I could drop a dot of paint or two of course, but... hack.  The other issue is that I'm not the only one to use the camera from time to time.  On occasion SWMBO or the boy decides to monkey with it without my knowledge and so it winds up being slightly out. I then find myself annoyed about just why the hell I can't seem to nail focus on something and then at some point I realize, ah the camera was out on rental again. Much more easily detected when I notice that the diopter has been moved, something I was in the habit of doing with the 020 as it was easily bumped going in and out of the bag anyway... thankfully at least inadvertent moving of the setting is less of an issue with the new unit.  Regardless, with the indent on the 020, this was more easily seen, checked and just set back to my known location rather than having to go through the process over again.

Finally, I just want to know. Vision changes over time. It's nice to have a gauge as to which direction and by how much. It would have cost almost nothing to have an indent, it's just a sloppy for a premium brand that prides itself on precision not to have included it. So yeah, its no big deal if you set it and forget it, but thats not the only use case.  

Thanks for explaining. The solution is simple: a dozen Visoflex-s, each tuned and labeled for certain application ;-).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, SrMi said:

Thanks for explaining. The solution is simple: a dozen Visoflex-s, each tuned and labeled for certain application ;-).

Of course. And thanks for taking pity on a tired old man with a fixed income in his twilight years.  Should I expect a check or are you just planning on buying a few and shipping them to me? 😃

It's likely not the resolution. The X1D, XT-4 and Z7 have this resolutiona and are perfectly fine. It's likely the processor is being pushed, poor optics in front of the panel or really sloopy code. Also, do you know if Leica is using 100% enlagement at maximum resolution. They may be going to 2 or 400% which will make the image appear soft.

I don't have mine yet. With the 020 I only use the lower magnifications for this reason.

Gordon

2 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

It's likely not the resolution. The X1D, XT-4 and Z7 have this resolutiona and are perfectly fine. It's likely the processor is being pushed, poor optics in front of the panel or really sloopy code. Also, do you know if Leica is using 100% enlagement at maximum resolution. They may be going to 2 or 400% which will make the image appear soft.

I don't have mine yet. With the 020 I only use the lower magnifications for this reason.

Gordon

I hope so, that means there is hope to improve it. But I would assume its more likely due to the sensor resolution, which is more than double the EVF resolution, so its not possible to do a 1:1 view. Which would also explain why we only have one setting for focus assist zoom, where the M240 had two zoom options.

12 minutes ago, erudolph said:

Are there not 2 different magnifications?  When focus aid zoom is active, rotate custom wheel through them.

Yep, just rotate the wheel after the camera detects you are trying to focus. I believe 5x and 10x as before. 

Edited by Tailwagger

37 minutes ago, erudolph said:

Are there not 2 different magnifications?  When focus aid zoom is active, rotate custom wheel through them.

Ahhh...couldnt find it in manual Thanks

Ill need to check again in daylight, but it appears that 10X is actually sharper for same reason.

Currently I use an M240 with the Olympus EVF, which is identical with the former Leica Visoflex except for the housing. Every time I use the EVF with my right eye I usually poke my nose tip into the ocular of the rangefinder, which is covered with nose grease afterwards and needs cleaning. This is very annoying. I wonder if this might happen with the M11 and its Visoflex as well. Any experience?

I also wonder what the size of the Visoflex is. Would you mind to measure the width and height? The depth is quite clear to me.

Thank you in advance.

A nice touch, I just realised that the Visoflex 2 is not falling over the speed dial and hiding your speed selection as it did on the M10 series. It's a small detail but it was quite annoying. It shows Leica really went through all details they could think of. 👍😀

I was so anxious to test the EVF on the M1 when it arrived, I didnt really pay attention to the details. The build quality is exceptional. and the fit and finish is extremely tight. I sold my 020 EVF with the Monochrome so I cant compare...but from memory this feels a bit smaller, and the quality level is significantly higher.

But, what just struck me is that the size is exactly the same as the OVF. It literally looks like this could pop right into that space...hmm.

I need some help and suggestion to avoid any inconsistency between rangefinder and visoflex diopter which could result in the final image not perfectly in focus..

Which is the correct procedure to adjust the visoflex diopter to be in line with the rangefinder? I mean, supposing I'm wearing my prescription glasses I need to adjust the diopter accordingly still with my glasses on. On the other end, when I'm not wearing my prescription glasses I can adjust the diopter independently from the rangefinder, is this correct?