LEICA Visoflex 2, What do you think?

Photoworks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be couscous to hear what your impression is using the Visoflex on M11.

I was tested one in the LA store and then I got one in the Leica Store NY and I have been using for a few days with different lenses.

I found it just real hard to focus, like it doesn't resolve fine detail, and difficult to use without magnification.

I compare it to the M10 type 020 and Q2 and both look much better then the M11 EVF.

If this is what it is I think Leica did us a disfavor not to bring out something better, Like Q2 or SL2.

I am so much faster at this point focusing with the rangefinder with great accuracy even at 0.95

Thanks

https://www.instagram.com/kroke/

15 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I would be couscous to hear

Cute turn of phrase!

You mean the view through the viewfinder in the 020 on an M10 is better, or the final image? I'm very surprised. I haven't tried the M11 Visoflex, but I find the 020 on the M10 essentially useless. 

Leica has a long, long history of providing various contraptions for attachment to its camera bodies.  Most fall to the wayside of history, for better or for worse.  Seems like the Visoflex is in that category as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you rate after shot blackouts on the Visoflex 2? You know click-yawn-click-yawn instead of click-click ;). Are there any means to avoid or reduce them? Just curious as it is the main reason why i'm not interested in the M11 so far.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like using the Visoflex for photos where the rangefinder patch is hard to line up.  I also always zoom in and dont use focus peaking.  I find it does the job fine.  I never used the old one or any Q cameras to compare.  I haven't picked up my nikon in a while (at least 6 months) but from what I recall, the visoflex isn't as good as my nikon z6 (first generation).  But maybe since I use autofocus, the camera is just always helping me with focusing and I just have to pick the focus point.  As I get more experience with the m the evf may start feeling the same as on my z.

I've only shot static photos with my m so far so blackout isn't really an issue for me at this time. 

59 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I was tested one in the LA store and then I got one in the Leica Store NY and I have been using for a few days with different lenses.

I found it just real hard to focus, like it doesn't resolve fine detail, and difficult to use without magnification.

I compare it to the M10 type 020 and Q2 and both look much better then the M11 EVF.

If this is what it is I think Leica did us a disfavor not to bring out something better, Like Q2 or SL2.

I am so much faster at this point focusing with the rangefinder with great accuracy even at 0.95

Thanks

I am surprised that this is your experience.  IMO the new Visoflex is vastly superior to the 020 coupled with the M10 and actually has the same resolution as the Q2 - 3.6…M dots.  I found the M10 and 020 to be a useless combination (sold them both) whereas the M11 paired with the new Visoflex are what sucked me back into the game…. Could you possibly have a faulty unit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

Thanks

And you did check the setting on the dioptre correction wheel on the EVF, didn't you?

• Like 1

I find the new visoflex to be outstanding--even better than the sl2.  I find focusing to be a smooth routine with auto magnification and image stabilization. Colors are bright and spectacular. Great eye  relief with glasses.  I think Leica knocked it out of the park.  I am surprised it doesn't work for you.  I findings are completely positive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sarkleshark said:

I find the new visoflex to be outstanding--even better than the sl2.  I find focusing to be a smooth routine with auto magnification and image stabilization. Colors are bright and spectacular. Great eye  relief with glasses.  I think Leica knocked it out of the park.  I am surprised it doesn't work for you.  I findings are completely positive.

Any blackout after shooting for you? Just curious again sorry.

It’s not great - for the money Leica is asking it’s downright abysmal. 

For wide lenses, it does the job. I wouldn’t want to use it all the time, but I mostly shoot 35mm and 50mm so the visoflex hardly gets used. 

Edited by Stevejack
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

Ict, just for you I did an informal Visoflex 2 blackout test last night.  Shooting in S mode I could see each photo's live view before shutter release at a rate of about 1 capture every 0.7-0.9 seconds, so the blackout time is shorter than that.  If you shoot in Low-Speed or High-Speed continuous mode, you only see the photos play back through the Visoflex 2 after each capture while shooting a continuous stream of captures.

I compared the above to the Visoflex 020 on the M10-M and found the 020+M10-M to be substantially slower.  It felt perhaps 30-50% slower.  I suspect the slower speed is not only because of longer blackout times, but also because the live view shutter cycling time of the M10 family is slower than that of the M11.

So I think you'll find the M11 + V2 to be an improvement.

Edited by onasj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sarkleshark said:

Not sure I agree with that. SL2 viewfinder if close to double the resolution and I can focus Noctilux lenses with out any focus aid and no magnification.

3 hours ago, lct said:

There is a little more delay shooting over the M10R in EVF and Rangenfinder.

The black out time on M10R is painful , it is ok for single images. but if you doing portraits with a person that moves just a little, you will find that the closing and opening of the sugar and reactivate LV will give you a disappointing experience.

The M11 black out is more than 50% faster, you can shoot with EVF often with big problems. Is have my setting to EVF extended because I will use the rangefinder most of the time, don't use the back screen to focus and compose, this way when I hit FM the EVF LV goes on immediacy and does not need to detect eye.

I also have image review off, it will speed up everything and only show taken photos when I request it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

Thank you folks, much appreciated. Does disabling auto review reduce blackout times significantly?

Yes, it does.  Or put more accurately, if auto review is ON, then after capture you see the photo you just took first, until your shutter half press is detected by the camera, which then causes the live view to return to the visoflex.  If you turn review OFF, then no shutter half press is needed to restore your live view.  So less time out of live view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

There is a little more delay shooting over the M10R in EVF and Rangenfinder.

The black out time on M10R is painful , it is ok for single images. but if you doing portraits with a person that moves just a little, you will find that the closing and opening of the sugar and reactivate LV will give you a disappointing experience.

The M11 black out is more than 50% faster, you can shoot with EVF often with big problems. Is have my setting to EVF extended because I will use the rangefinder most of the time, don't use the back screen to focus and compose, this way when I hit FM the EVF LV goes on immediacy and does not need to detect eye.

I also have image review off, it will speed up everything and only show taken photos when I request it

EVF extended uses eye sensor to turn on only when necessary (battery saving).