Film shooter's musings on stepping to the digital Leica ecosystem and the 50mm Summarit 2.4.

mediumformula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I made two big Leica purchases: A used M10 Monochrom and a 50mm Summarit 2.4.  I bought the M10M from the Leica store in NYC.  Buying a USED M10M doesn't offer a massive discount but with the difference in price of buying a new one I was able to pay for the Summarit and save a few hundred dollars. The used Leica also came complete in box with a second battery and a memory card.   I got into Leica a couple years ago right before the pandemic began when I bought a Leica MP (also at the NYC store) and a 50mm Summilux Asph. I have shot the MP+Lux extensively over the past couple years for street photography and ethnographic documentary work. It has produced fantastic results and expanded my shooting style.  I principally come from the film world beginning in the late 90s before the dawn of digital.  I also shoot a Canon SLR, a Rolleiflex TLR and have a 4x5 Weisner field camera.  I also have a Leica IIIf with collapsable Summicron that is really fun to use.  I actually also own a Sony A7R4, but use it almost exclusively for video purposes. It was my first professional digital camera, but for many reasons the Sony just hasn't inspired me to pick it up for still photography purposes the way that I had thought it might.  

I've been intrigued by the monochromatic digital Leicas ever since I first bought my MP a couple years ago. That was the same time that the M10M came to market. Now, two years later, I felt like it was time to pull the trigger and buy one.  I was a bit apprehensive to buy into the M10 generation since the M11 just came out.  I even contemplated just getting an M11.  I really like the weight reduction that the black aluminum version offers as well as a few of the other features.  But ultimately I decided that what would really inspire me to shoot a digital camera would be the monochromatic shooting experience and its exceptional low light capability.  I realize that the M11 has impressive low light, but only the Monochrom forces you to adhere to a b&w mindset when you are shooting and I wanted that self imposed restriction.  I figure it will be another 2-3 years before an M11M comes out and I don't want to wait that long, so I decided on a lightly used M10M.  The NYC Leica store had a used one in stock at a decent price compared to what I was seeing online - it feels brand new and the customer service the local store provides is good, plus the store warranties it for a year from purchase regardless of the manufacture's warranty.

I've only had the camera since Saturday, but I've had the chance to shoot in several different occasions and play around with the photos in Lightroom.  

Thoughts on the M10M:  Like most have already reported, the low-light performance is outstanding.  So is the ability to recover shadows or increase exposure in post from an underexposed capture.  Coming from the film world it's really quite mind-blowing.  It's like the camera sees in the dark.  I pasted a few before-and-after images below just to give an example of how moving the sliders in Lightroom can produce dramatic results with an underexposed or low light photograph.  The viewfinder and focus patch are really clear.  They are better than the MP.  I don't like how the shutter speed dial is reverse from the MP.  The ISO dial would be nice if it had half-stop on it.  The camera is a bit bulkier and heavier than the MP and I have already ordered a hot-shoe thumb grip that I think will help.  Like I mentioned earlier, I really like the decision by Leica to go with machined aluminum for the black M11.  The black M11 weighs 130 grams less than the M10M and that's probably one of the main reasons I will upgrade to an M11M someday. 

Thoughts on the 50mm Summarit 2.4:  I'll make a bold claim.  I think the Summarit 2.4 is the best all around "modern" Leica-made 50mm lens for a current generation DIGITAL Leica. (If we are talking film Leica than the Summilux is still king, IMO)  And yes I realize they recently discontinued the Summarit line.  The seize/weight to performance ratio for this 50mm lens is fantastic.  To me the Summarit is the spiritual successor of the super-compact 3.5 Elmar or the famous collapsable Summicron.  In a recent Red Dot Forum video on 50mm lenses, Josh Lehrer stated that the Summarit 2.4 is the second sharpest modern 50mm Leica Lens, second only to the APO Summicron.  But the Summarit (190g) weighs 110 grams less than the APO (300g) and is 14mm shorter.  Oh, not to mention $7k less expensive.  Those size/weight differences might not mean a lot to most people but for the conditions that I'm using my equipment they are relevant to me.  Being a half stop slower than the Summicron is negligible due to the ISO prowesses of the modern Leica. (I should mention that I'm not a big "bokeh"-super-shallow depth of field person.  I have a Summilux that I keep glued to my MP but I mainly use the large aperture for low light situations where I am restricted by film speeds) While I can't deny that for certain situations, the 1.4 look on the Summilux is really beautiful, the 2.4 on the Summarit does provide pretty nice pop to a portrait or subject isolation if desired.  If I was doing a dedicated portrait session with the M10M I would use the Summilux, but for all around use the Summarit is more than capable, even for portraiture as I am discovering. 

I hope my thoughts on this camera can be useful to anyone else thinking of moving into the Monochrom digital world.  I will by no means stop shooting film.  But I think that the Monochrom will be a worthy supplement to my camera arsenal and open up photographic possibilities where the film cameras are incapable of performing - mainly low light shooting.  Plus there are times when I just want to shoot and not have to worry about getting film developed and stored.  You all know the drill. 

Example photos with the Summarit:

ISO 12500, 1/125.  f2.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Adjusted:  If I had boosted the ISO any more I would have blown out the to top the building but I was able to pull the rest out in post. 

ISO 1250, 1/125,  f2.4

Adjusted:  Not sure why this was underexposed because I had the ISO on auto (maybe overhead light threw off the meter).  But I was shocked when I adjusted the exposure slider up to reveal all this detail.  And that's wide open on the Summarit! 

ISO 32000, 1/125. f2.8

Adjusted: 32000 and the image isn't total garbage and look at the detail that I was able to pull out of the clouds, branches etc.  

Edited by mediumformula
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Yes, the shadows can open up significantly, but often better to let blacks go black, or at least look like shadows, IMO.  The tone curve can also be a good friend.  Luke’s comment on highlights is also important. Unlike with color digital cameras, where one or more color channels can be recovered, the Monochroms have no room for error; once blown, forget it.

Jeff

• Like 3

Yep, the 50 Summarit is a little gem. I also have the M10M. I'd been happily shooting away with the Summarit until I bumped into a deal on a 50 APO.  I bought it, and did a test with both as I was trying to decide if I wanted to keep the Summarit.  When I compared my images I expect to see a difference, and to me there was none ... at least nothing to warranty the expenditure of having the APO. So the APO went happily to a new home. The 50 Summarit and M10M make a wonder combo as it makes the weight problem you talk about go away. 

• Like 1

I should mention the only real downside of the Summarit is the .8 meter minimum focus.  Not sure why they couldn't get this to .7 like a normal modern M mount lens.  I almost wonder if they intentionally handicapped the lens.  Another minor critique about the lens would be that the aperture ring could be a little bit stiffer.  Otherwise the construction feels on par with my Summilux Asph. 

• Like 1

Count me as part of this tribe. My kit is anchored similarly with M10M, MP, 50 Lux, and now a sweet suite of 35mm lenses (M10 too, but B&W is my focus). I’ve recently discovered darkroom printing, and found a happy balance with my existing inkjet printing workflow.

I’m glad the OP shared images at ISO 32K, as I have found that is a sweet spot for fully manual shooting in low—and sometimes near-absent—light scenarios. 

Was just trying to sit through tonight’s RDF YouTube live episode about the M11, and when they got to comparing M11 vs M10M ISO performance, I fully appreciated Josh and David’s attestation of a 2-stop advantage in favor of the M10M. To me, it’s probably even more than 2-stops practically speaking when I think of how some of my images at 50K look when printed.

And the M10M + 50 Lux is devastatingly good. I’ve always bristled at the comparison of medium format film to digital, but to my eyes, this combo is the closest thing to substantiating that.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rlibersky said:

M10M is the only digital camera that has me thinking of selling my small format film stuff. Still not giving up the large format though.

Yeah a digital Leica would never replace my 4x5 or my Rolleiflex.  But I was just pondering the other day as I flipped through the pages of my Yosemite and the Range of Light book what Ansel Adams would have been able to do with a M10M.  Would he have abandoned his 8X10? 

• Like 3

...Buying a USED M10M doesn't offer a massive discount but with the difference in price of buying a new one I was able to pay for the Summarit and save a few hundred dollars...

The used M Monochroms seem to hold their value better than used color M cameras, which is a good thing. 

As for the 50mm f/2.4 Summarit, it is an excellent little lens.  I have a copy and still regret not getting a 75mm Summarit when they were still in production. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, mediumformula said:

Yeah a digital Leica would never replace my 4x5 or my Rolleiflex.  But I was just pondering the other day as I flipped through the pages of my Yosemite and the Range of Light book what Ansel Adams would have been able to do with a M10M.  Would he have abandoned his 8X10? 

Adams wrote about what he believed would be great advances in technology and electronic imaging (it was in early stages in his late life), and thoroughly embraced the potential.  

Alan Ross, his long time assistant, believes that Adams would embrace digital (camera and processing), but would still also shoot with film and, like Ross, would still prefer a silver print.

https://www.alanrossphotography.com/would-ansel-adams-shoot-digital/

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

The used M Monochroms seem to hold their value better than used color M cameras, which is a good thing. 

As for the 50mm f/2.4 Summarit, it is an excellent little lens.  I have a copy and still regret not getting a 75mm Summarit when they were still in production. 

I recently bought my 50mm 2.4 for a decent used price in practically new condition.  I'm sure you could find a similar 75 Summarit if you keep your eyes open! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I too love the M10 monochrom. It is my go to camera almost all the time.

My first M was a used M3 back in the 1980’s. I shot mostly Tri-X and Plus-X with a 50 Summilux, and became enthralled. I purchased a used M5 and then an M6. Mostly shot B&W but then my eyesight faded and glasses interfered with my ability to quickly utilize an M camera. I never sold them or forgot about them as I wondered through the world of autofocus DSLRs. 

fast forward to 2021, after eye surgery my vision is better then it ever was. I pulled the old M6 out and voilà, I could see perfectly with the right diopter. Got a used M10-r, but missed the dedicated B&W and was intrigued by the more “direct” sensor in the monochrom. 

now I only use the M10-r in specific situations where color is OK. 90% of the time I’ve got the Monochrom, often with a mid yellow filter. 

as others here have said, the low light performance of the Monochrom is astounding, as is the improved resolution of the sensor unburdened by the color filter array. 

it is a joy to be taking B&W pictures with an M camera again!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:08 PM, dbeids said:

I too love the M10 monochrom. It is my go to camera almost all the time.

My first M was a used M3 back in the 1980’s. I shot mostly Tri-X and Plus-X with a 50 Summilux, and became enthralled. I purchased a used M5 and then an M6. Mostly shot B&W but then my eyesight faded and glasses interfered with my ability to quickly utilize an M camera. I never sold them or forgot about them as I wondered through the world of autofocus DSLRs. 

fast forward to 2021, after eye surgery my vision is better then it ever was. I pulled the old M6 out and voilà, I could see perfectly with the right diopter. Got a used M10-r, but missed the dedicated B&W and was intrigued by the more “direct” sensor in the monochrom. 

now I only use the M10-r in specific situations where color is OK. 90% of the time I’ve got the Monochrom, often with a mid yellow filter. 

as others here have said, the low light performance of the Monochrom is astounding, as is the improved resolution of the sensor unburdened by the color filter array. 

it is a joy to be taking B&W pictures with an M camera again!

I'm glad you were able to get your eyes fixed!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 12:01 AM, mediumformula said:

.... I will by no means stop shooting film.  But I think that the Monochrom will be a worthy supplement to my camera arsenal and open up photographic possibilities where the film cameras are incapable of performing - mainly low light shooting.  Plus there are times when I just want to shoot and not have to worry about getting film developed and stored.  You all know the drill. 

Thanks for sharing your observations. My own musing: I don't have an M10M but shoot with an M246 and M6 (also with a Summarit 50 2.4). Not sure why, but I feel compelled to fully commit to one or the other. Like you say, the Monochrom is far more versatile, but I usually prefer the BW film look and enjoy the entire process. For the last few months I've been alternating between them, trying to decide. Everyone says to shoot both, but I'm just not wired that way.  

John 

Edited by johnwolf
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, johnwolf said:

Thanks for sharing your observations. My own musing: I don't have an M10M but shoot with an M246 and M6 (also with a Summarit 50 2.4). Not sure why, but I feel compelled to fully commit to one or the other. Like you say, the Monochrom is far more versatile, but I usually prefer the BW film look and enjoy the entire process. For the last few months I've been alternating between them, trying to decide. Everyone says to shoot both, but I'm just not wired that way.  

John 

I use the M10M and shoot film on an MP. M3 and some old Leica R9’s. I don’t mind switching back and forth. They fill different creative voids and I never worry about a bad hard drive ruining my negs …. I don’t think you have to choose. IMHO. 

• Like 1