M11 + 35mm Summicron ASPH

Tortuga

9 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Almost everyone with an M11 seems to have an APO-Summicron 35mm. Anyone out there with a regular 35mm Summicron ASPH can share their experience?

Not everyone, but for those that love the 10-R and do, if they'd like to trade lemme know 😃

Sadly, I can't help you out, I have the pre-ASPH 'lux and the Zeiss ZM, but no 'cron of any sort. I'm sure others will come along that do eventually. 

I am brand new to the M system, having acquired my M11 and a 35 Summicron ASPH on the M11 launch day.  I was going to pull the trigger on an M10-R late last year, when I came across all of the rumors for the upcoming M11.

While I waited, I spent a lot of time studying photos produced by the various 35mm and 50mm Leica lenses.  I am not a professional photographer and a lot of my photography is travel.  What is not travel is basically capturing life moments with friends and family.  A small kit is everything to me, because I want my camera around me all of the time.

All of that to say, I settled on the 35 Summicron ASPH as my first lens, in terms of the right character, size, weight, and price.

Initially, I shot in the default 60 megapixel mode, but I found I prefer the 36 megapixel mode.  I do not need the additional resolution, the files are a bit smaller, and I like the additional dynamic range.  Perhaps too, if I am being honest, the medium mode is a little more forgiving of camera shake.

Although I did not have an issue with the 60 megapixel photos with the 35 Summicron ASPH, overall I am finding the 36 megapixel mode the best fit for me.  (all things considered)

I am extremely pleased with the combination so far, even though I am obviously still learning the M system.

• Like 3

I am a new (long-time desiring) M system user, with my M11 coming today. Have wanted to go M series ever since I put my first R lens on my Canon 50D 12+ years ago. I decided to start with the 35mm asph v2, because of size. I've used the X100 line since they first came out, so I know that 35mm is my favorite focal distance. Love rangefinder shooting, but have constantly longed for a true manual focus system, and the feel/space of a full frame. Figured Leica glass is a good value-holding proposition as I may very well want to go APO or Summilux in a few years. Haven't quite decided if the extra stop or the closer distance is what I really want, though I'm leaning closer distance once it's more available. I've used the X100V's 4" close focus a lot, it's the one thing I'm going to miss. I particularly like 35mm close-up portraits, so any of the 35mm lenses will be great.

Edited by wdahab

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have this lens, it's a great performer. A little flare sometimes which can be hard to control, but it's a great size and it has a nice screw-on hood. Sharp and contrasty, no complaints. 

No desire to switch to the 35 APO at this stage.  I do have the 50 APO and It's a brilliant little lens, but it's not out-of-this-world incredible in a way that would make me jump for the 35mm version immediately. I'd say it's more than likely I'll move over to the 35 APO eventually, I'm just not in a rush. 

I don't have a 35APO, but a 35 Summicron Asph and a 35/1.4 FLE. What should I say - even if the 35 Summicron Asph might not be rated as good as the APO, it still takes sharp images with a nice bokeh. I am sure you would see difference in direct comparison (also my 35FLE is slightly sharper) but IMO.

If I didn't have any I might get the new CV 35 which is also supposed to super good lens. The 35APO price is quite steep IMO.

• 1 month later...

Focussed at 3 feet, ISO 200, 1/100th, F2.8 on a tripod and done with patience whilst the blackbirds got used to the Quattropod standing there with the black Sony A1 with my lovely new Summicron 35mm lens. Triggered remotely naturally.

11673 is the model number of my new Summicron-M ASPH. I think that is version VI.

Eventually I will post here with an M11 (when mine is delivered) and this lovely lens.

SPB00621.jpg

SPB00623.jpg

Edited by idusidusi
Added that I expect my M11 soon
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2022 at 12:44 AM, Tortuga said:

Almost everyone with an M11 seems to have an APO-Summicron 35mm. Anyone out there with a regular 35mm Summicron ASPH can share their experience?

Mine is the 35/2 asph v1 version and works fine on the M11. Doesn't show anything special compared to my M240 and Sony A7r2 mod. High contrast and acutance but not too much so as to become harsh, smooth bokeh at f/2. Only significant cons are color fringing and mustache-shaped distortion. Easy to fix in PP in most cases though.