voigtlander ultron 35mm f2

Masukami

On 3/7/2022 at 11:20 PM, kivis said:

Thanks for posting an image of this lens, I ordered one yesterday from Stephen Gandy and it arrived today.  I was impressed, not only with the delivery speed but the lens looks gorgeous on my black paint m10r.  From what little I've tested, I believe it will be one that pretty much stays on the camera.  My only minor complaint that will probably remedy itself with use, the focus is super smooth from close to infinity but slightly more stiff going the other way...still not enough for me to worry, just barely noticeable. Considering the price (he still has them at $799 and free shipping) I don't think any other other 35 can match it. Maybe someday I'll get the Leica lens but for now this one does all I need.

1 hour ago, Siriusone59 said:

Thanks for posting an image of this lens, I ordered one yesterday from Stephen Gandy and it arrived today.  I was impressed, not only with the delivery speed but the lens looks gorgeous on my black paint m10r.  From what little I've tested, I believe it will be one that pretty much stays on the camera.  My only minor complaint that will probably remedy itself with use, the focus is super smooth from close to infinity but slightly more stiff going the other way...still not enough for me to worry, just barely noticeable. Considering the price (he still has them at $799 and free shipping) I don't think any other other 35 can match it. Maybe someday I'll get the Leica lens but for now this one does all I need.

I've read of users raising the issue of sticky/inconsistent smoothness in their copies, though mine is smooth...or maybe I'm not discerning enough to tell. It might even out with time.

This lens has a cult following, and for good reason. For the image quality, materials for the version 2 brass ones, finish in black paint/silver, closer focus (I know this pro can go either way) and price, at the moment this lens can't be beat by any other third party manufacturer or even Leica(!). I think it'd also be overlooked by many due to speed as for size + speed, some might prefer its f1.4 cousin. I bought mine on a whim because I've always wanted a silver lens, and what was my ideal silver lens (between 35-50mm, small, relatively inexpensive), the 50 Cron rigid, has gone up quite a bit in price, especially for clean copies. It has worked out better because I prefer 35mm and I've used it more over the past year than any of my 35mms (which means more than any other lens I have). I picked it up also because I like how it looks with the LH-12 hood - it reminds me of the steel rim 35lux and OLLUX (it also has a shiny filter rim to boot), which is a lens I like in terms of size and aesthetics but not so much in terms of rendering...and cost. The lens is plenty sharp and with character, which is the best of both worlds for me.

I really can't help but sing its praises whenever I can. It just ticks so many boxes, almost as if Cosina read my mind.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, fotomas said:

Is there a lens cap for the hood or do you have to take it off therefore?

There's no cap for the LH-12 hood. The 39mm pinch cap does fit on the lens with the hood on, but is fiddly to take off/put on with the hood on. The hood is easily removable though, as a bayonet hood. I have a filter on my lens all the time so I don't bother with the lens cap. Then I just decide whether to shoot with or without the hood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chasdfg said:

There's no cap for the LH-12 hood. The 39mm pinch cap does fit on the lens with the hood on, but is fiddly to take off/put on with the hood on. The hood is easily removable though, as a bayonet hood. I have a filter on my lens all the time so I don't bother with the lens cap. Then I just decide whether to shoot with or without the hood.

Same for the round LH-4N hood. For a less fiddly 39mm pinch cap, see the Fujifilm FLCP-39 lens cap below. It is well made and easier to use than the CV one. Fits well 39mm CV and Leica lenses too. It cannot stay on the lens while removing the hood though contrary the CV cap.

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/accessories/flcp-39-ii/

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, fotomas said:

Is there a lens cap for the hood or do you have to take it off therefore?

Does not come with hood. Amazon has great alternative hoods. It does deliver with a lens cap. I left mine in the box.

• Thanks 1

Since I like the 35mm angle of view, I've always had a 35 for my Leica, from the 35/3.5 Summaron for my IIIg in 1960 to my current Summicron V4, Nokton f/1.2, Summilux ASPH vI, Biogon-C f/2.8, Distagon 1.4 and since it came out, the Ultron vII. 

For overall best performance (excepting the new APO-ASPH Summicron which I'm still undecided about) the Distagon is tops. Little vignetting, little distortion, no focus shift, Evan performance at all apertures and all distances, excellent flare control but BIG. The little Biogon-C is next, but not as good on the colour cameras as on the M10M. Maybe OK on the M11. If you shoot mostly at f/4-5.6 this is a great choice. I really like the rendering of the Summilux ASPH vI, better than on the FLE so I haven't upgraded, but when I need f/1.4 I mostly reach for the Distagon. The Summicron V4 has the rendering I like, most of the time. BUT, the lens that gets the most use now is the Ultron vII and it replaced the Summicron ASPH. I didn't like the ergonomics of the vI, but the optics are of course fine. I have a third party lens hood for it that mimics Voigtlaender's, but the hood that works best if you don't use filters is Leica's 12550 for the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar that was discontinued a little while ago. It shades and protects as much as the official hood, but is just barely discernible in the viewfinder. It's tiny. It doesn't cause vignetting (all checked out) and keeps the package as small as possible. These hoods are a bit hard to get now and seem to cost about $100 or just over when available, but are worth it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, henning said:

[...]

I have a third party lens hood for it that mimics Voigtlaender's, but the hood that works best if you don't use filters is Leica's 12550 for the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar that was discontinued a little while ago. It shades and protects as much as the official hood, but is just barely discernible in the viewfinder. It's tiny. It doesn't cause vignetting (all checked out) and keeps the package as small as possible. These hoods are a bit hard to get now and seem to cost about $100 or just over when available, but are worth it.

In your experience, does the 12550 hood work over a filter ?

2 hours ago, Thury said:

Yes if the filter has an internal filter thread. Here a Leica UV/IR filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

7 hours ago, Thury said:

The hood works fine over a filter if attached to something like the 50 Elmar for which it's intended or the 90 Macro Elmar, for which I also use it but when a filter is screwed into the Ultron 35 the hood will then cause hard vignetting; that's why I put in the proviso in my previous post.

1 hour ago, henning said:

The hood works fine over a filter if attached to something like the 50 Elmar for which it's intended or the 90 Macro Elmar, for which I also use it but when a filter is screwed into the Ultron 35 the hood will then cause hard vignetting; that's why I put in the proviso in my previous post.

Same on the Ultron 35/2 asph v1. I should have mentioned it above sorry.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:07 PM, Siriusone59 said:

Focusing rings like these often have to be seasoned to get buttery smooth.

• Like 1

For me the hood is a combination of a 39-43 and a 43-46 step up rings. Allows me to use any number of 46mm filters I have in my collection.

Anyway, even without a hood it doesn't matter as the lens does not flare.

The focus ring was a little stiff when I received the lens, but it quickly, with use, became very smooth.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a heavily cropped image from this lens.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Feels like this thread needs a little nudge... 😁

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...