voigtlander ultron 35mm f2

Masukami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Everything I read about the 35mm ultron f2 has only good things to say. 

So much so, I’m seriously considering replacing my 35mm summicron asph v2 with the voigtlander and pocketing the difference. 

In particular, I’m attracted to what seems to be a mix of modern asph performance with just a hint of older lens (very slightly nervous) bokeh.

Although I love the summicron (especially in low light / high contrast situations) it can often feel a bit bland. 

Has anyone on the forum compared the 35mm ultron and summicron side by side?

Edited by Masukami

My Summicron 35/2 asph v1 and Ultron 35/2 asph v1 are very close, both with modern rendering, nothing old or bland in my book, the Ultron's bokeh at f/2 being a bit more busy with a bit more vignetting. You should see side by side comparos on the web. Reid Reviews did one if i remember well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lct said:

My Summicron 35/2 asph v1 and Ultron 35/2 asph v1 are very close, both with modern rendering, nothing old or bland in my book, the Ultron's bokeh at f/2 being a bit more busy with a bit more vignetting. You should see side by side comparos on the web. Reid Reviews did one if i remember well.

@lct Ah, I wasn’t aware Sean Reid had done a side by side review. Thank you, I’ll take a look. 

I see you keep both the summicron and the ultron - do you find there is sufficient difference between the two to justify having both or are you in the process of moving from one to another?

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Or, for not much money, you can buy the Ultron via CameraQuest and try it out with a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy.

Jeff

@Jeff S thank you. If only I could! I live in Europe so cannot buy from Cameraquest. 

Interestingly, many of the retailers over here have sold out of the ultron v2.  Although I don’t know if that has been caused by low supply or high demand. 

6 hours ago, Masukami said:

I see you keep both the summicron and the ultron - do you find there is sufficient difference between the two to justify having both or are you in the process of moving from one to another?

I bought the Ultron for my digital CL on which it is more balanced thanks to its smaller size. I still prefer the smoother bokeh of the Summicron but if i were on a budget i would not hesitate to keep the Ultron only.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Went looking for a Summaron 35/2.8. Didn't find any copies I liked and instead came back with the Ultron 35mm f/2 II in black paint. It's really small and getting used to handling it. Didn't get the hood as it seemed rather pricey. So far no flaring observed.

Edited by rramesh

I owned a 35 Summicron ASPH for several years and was always impressed how good it was. It was sold with a lot of other stuff but was replaced with the first version of the 35 Ulton ASPH when the were first introduced. It was great and I never missed the Summicron. Today, I was loading a box of seldom used gear for KEH and tossed in the Ultron. Then promptly ordered the VII in silver, it's my favorite lens.

35 minutes ago, rramesh said:

What should the 6-Bit code be for this. Should it be 0-1-1-1-1-0 like a 35mm Summicron ASPH or should it be something else? 

Should i don't know but it is the one i use on my digital CL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

What should the 6-Bit code be for this. Should it be 0-1-1-1-1-0 like a 35mm Summicron ASPH or should it be something else? 

I use the Cron 35 ASPH 6-bit code for the Ultron 35/2 v2 on my M10-R and it seems fine.

• Like 1

Every time I look at getting a 35mm, I end up getting frustrated that all the options that are new have modern renderings, minus the Nokton 35mm f1.4 II. With that lens, it exhibits some focus shift and I don’t like the bokeh. I see the rendering of the Summicron v4 and the 8-element and they are beautiful, but they are super over priced because they aren’t made anymore, and the LLL replica has red script saying “CHINA” on the front of it (I just wish they had left it to white script like the standard on lenses such as made in Wetzlar or Canada or whatever but anyway). I’d love a 35mm as my “one and only”, but when I look at the options, I wish Leica did a re-release of their v1 and v4 lenses.

• Like 2

Thanks people... you are adding to my confusion. I started my affair with Leica long ago with a M2R and a 35 Summaron. A year or so later I traded up to a new M4 with a 35 Summicron (not sure which version but was new in 1970). Many years later that 35 Summicron went for a swim. I replaced it with a CV 35/2.5 Skopar which, missing the rich colors of Leica glass, I replaced with a 35 Summicron V4. After 25 years with the 35 cron V4 as a body cap, I thought I would change things up and go for a new 28/2.8 Elmarit ASPH. Now nearly every day I kick myself in the butt for not keeping the V4. The 28 Elmarit is sharp and contrasty but renders quite differently. Still, I'll keep that lens but I miss the 35 mm focal length.

Now my internal debate is if I should get the CV Ultron 35/2 V2 hoping it will render like my old V4 or just plunk down the $4k for a new Summicron. It is so hard to justify the extra $3k being retired and needing/wanting some SL glass as well.. which will probably be Sigma..

10 hours ago, Printmaker said:

Now my internal debate is if I should get the CV Ultron 35/2 V2 hoping it will render like my old V4 or just plunk down the $4k for a new Summicron. It is so hard to justify the extra $3k being retired and needing/wanting some SL glass as well.. which will probably be Sigma..

Just buy the Ultron 35 f/2 II. Code it as a Summicron 35 ASPH and in blind test no one will know. 🙂 

Edited by rramesh
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Printmaker said:

Now my internal debate is if I should get the CV Ultron 35/2 V2 hoping it will render like my old V4 or just plunk down the $4k for a new Summicron.

None of them will render exactly like your Summicron v4 as they are both "asph" lenses with modern rendition. Now the Ultron asph is perhaps the closer if you like the bokeh of your v4 at f/2 which is a bit busy as you know. For a smoother bokeh at f/2 the Summicron asph would be the way to go. Now the best way to mimic the v4 is to buy another v4 of course...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lct said:

None of them will render exactly like your Summicron v4 as they are both "asph" lenses with modern rendition. Now the Ultron asph is perhaps the closer if you like the bokeh of your v4 at f/2 which is a bit busy as you know. For a smoother bokeh at f/2 the Summicron asph would be the way to go. Now the best way to mimic the v4 is to buy another v4 of course...

Bokeh on a 35 mm has never been much of a concern. I tend to set the lens at 5.6 and zone focus. Yeah, I'm lazy but it is a fast way to "get the shot". What I noticed with the 35 Skopar was the color rendition was not as buttery smooth as what I was accustomed. Going to the type 4 Summicron cured that issue... though I found the Skopar to be a tad sharper. I should just get the Ultron and fuss with the color in LR.

54 minutes ago, Printmaker said:

Bokeh on a 35 mm has never been much of a concern. I tend to set the lens at 5.6 and zone focus. Yeah, I'm lazy but it is a fast way to "get the shot". What I noticed with the 35 Skopar was the color rendition was not as buttery smooth as what I was accustomed. Going to the type 4 Summicron cured that issue... though I found the Skopar to be a tad sharper. I should just get the Ultron and fuss with the color in LR.

As I mentioned earlier, you can buy the Ultron from CameraQuest (Stephen Gandy) with a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy.  So, time to assess without risk.  

If you don’t have one, a ColorChecker Passport can make profiling fairly easy, at least as a good starting point without much fuss. Shooting stopped down will significantly minimize many rendering differences between (high quality) lenses, often leaving ergonomics and handling as deciding factors.

Jeff

• Thanks 1