Camera Aesthetics

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The main concern is, of course, the image quality our cameras are capable of producing. But since we're using Leica cameras, arguably the most beautiful cameras ever produced, we also want them to look their best. For a long time I wanted everything in black. Black bodies, black lenses, black accessories. That changed when I bought a silver chrome 1960 eight element 35/2 with goggles. As soon as I put it on my MM1, I realized there was probably no Leica combination of black and silver that could ever look anything but great. Recently I purchased a silver chrome M10R and initially I was going to get a silver soft release and silver thumb grip to match. As soon as I put the black ones I already had on the new camera, that thought went away. I think mixing it up on M cameras looks pretty darn good. Anybody agree or disagree?

(I already know somebody is going to use this thread as evidence that we only have Leica cameras as jewelry.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

I love black lenses on silver chrome. And also like silver on black body. We are fortunate these cameras are indeed beautiful 

I'm with you on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to think silver chrome lenses on black bodies was a bit odd, but similar to you, recently placing a 1960 silver 35 Summaron f2.8 on my MM1 (now M10 M) made me think otherwise. Prior to that, all my M lenses were black and I liked them on both black and silver bodies.  I put a black Leica logo on my silver M8.2, and liked my black M8.2 with its stock black dot. I’ve never used soft releases, but my thumb rests have always matched the body color.  

Not surprising that people have fun and preferences regarding black and silver.  They are also both extremely popular car colors in the US, and tastes vary regarding trim colors as well as all black rims vs silver rims (on obviously black tires). 

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the combination of any black be it chrome or lacquered with silver lenses, or silver chrome body with black lenses

the best looking in my case is black paint in body and lenses, as well as safari with silver lenses

the least favorable probably black lacquer or paint with black chrome, but im still happy to go with 😀

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Not surprising that people have fun and preferences regarding black and silver.  They are also both extremely popular car colors in the US, and tastes vary regarding trim colors as well as all black rims vs silver rims (on obviously black tires). 

Jeff

I had to laugh when I read that because I realized that the last three cars I've bought have been either black or silver. My current car is silver with black interior. Hmmm.

Brent

• Like 2

I have a black M10M that to date has only had a black thumb accessory and a silver M10R that to date has only worn the silver thumb accessory!  You expanded my mental aperture, I am going to swap and see how the camera body accepts the opposing color thumbs!  It should improve my photography.  :--) Thanks!  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Miranda said:

I have a black M10M that to date has only had a black thumb accessory and a silver M10R that to date has only worn the silver thumb accessory!  You expanded my mental aperture, I am going to swap and see how the camera body accepts the opposing color thumbs!  It should improve my photography.  :--) Thanks!  

I'm sure the effect will be immediate and dramatic, although your images are already pretty darn good so it might be hard for some of us to see the difference. 🧐

• Haha 1

I enjoy see different color combinations, limited editions. But for me, it’s about being discreet, that’s why I’m ALL-IN with black for cameras, lenses and accessories. I would love an invisible finish

Edited by Dennis
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, fisheess said:

Ah I use the black summicron 35 IV with an old version silver UVa Filter on a black M10R body. The silver UV filter fits perfectly with the silver  mount ring.

here is a photo of the combination. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fisheess said:

here is a photo of the combination. 

In my opinion there is no combination of black and silver with M cameras that isn't beautiful. For purity, have you considered using black paint on your lens release button? 😉

On 1/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, fotografr said:

The main concern is, of course, the image quality our cameras are capable of producing. But since we're using Leica cameras, arguably the most beautiful cameras ever produced, we also want them to look their best. For a long time I wanted everything in black. Black bodies, black lenses, black accessories. That changed when I bought a silver chrome 1960 eight element 35/2 with goggles. As soon as I put it on my MM1, I realized there was probably no Leica combination of black and silver that could ever look anything but great. Recently I purchased a silver chrome M10R and initially I was going to get a silver soft release and silver thumb grip to match. As soon as I put the black ones I already had on the new camera, that thought went away. I think mixing it up on M cameras looks pretty darn good. Anybody agree or disagree?

(I already know somebody is going to use this thread as evidence that we only have Leica cameras as jewelry.)

This is so subjective, there's no point in talking about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viv said:

This is so subjective, there's no point in talking about it.

That's easy. Then don't.

Using that logic there's no point in posting images on this forum because reactions to them are also purely subjective.

Edited by fotografr
  • Thanks 1

'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be beautiful or believe to be useful' - William Morris.

This is a quote I live by. Everything I buy has to be well made, beautiful but ultimately useful. I have very little time for pretty "stuff" that just sits and collects dust and have absolutely no shame in saying that one of the main reasons I bought into Leica was for the look and build of the cameras - and it is also the look and build of the cameras that inspires me to go out and take photos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We have few alternative colour options to choose from. With cars there is normally a colour palette for each model, or sometimes each year. We get special editions which tend to be a bright and garish - Paul Smith, white, orange Hermes. And some of those are only coloured wrappers. The only version that looks like a real 'normal' colour option is the Safari. Leica might sell more if they offered all-over subtle colours such as dark blue, walnut brown, or deep burgundy. I guess the problem might be matching lenses to them. 

• Like 1