Any opinions on the S Summarit 35mm?

HuntingSand

Not much to say. It's a great lens, significantly better than any adapted option. Distortion is minimal, it's sharp from wide-open, and it renders like the other S lenses in terms of colour, micro-contrast, etc.

That's really the hidden strength of the S system: all the lenses are consistently great. Pick the focal lengths that you need, or buy them all (as John suggests).

I use mine for event work and environmental portraiture. The wide-open sharpness really lets your subjects pop, and the low distortion is great when your background includes straight lines.

• Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb mgrayson3:

The Q lens is a miracle. Wide aperture. Macro. The S 35 is much more like the 28 Summicron M lens. Until the 24mm came out, the 35 was my most used lens.

Thanks for this. From my experience, the 35 (=28mm in FF terms) would be much easier to work with than a "super-wide" like the 24 (=19mm in FF terms) you mention.

vor einer Stunde schrieb BernardC:

Not much to say. It's a great lens, significantly better than any adapted option. Distortion is minimal, it's sharp from wide-open, and it renders like the other S lenses in terms of colour, micro-contrast, etc.

That's really the hidden strength of the S system: all the lenses are consistently great. Pick the focal lengths that you need, or buy them all (as John suggests).

I use mine for event work and environmental portraiture. The wide-open sharpness really lets your subjects pop, and the low distortion is great when your background includes straight lines.

Good to know about the specific optical qualities of the 35. I'm all in favor of straight lines (as far as they exist in the real world) 🙂

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Sailronin:

The 35mm Summarit-S is a wonderful lens. I use it for landscape and street shooting as it approximates a 28mm on a 35mm camera.  I've not been disappointed with any S lens, they are the best Leica has ever produced.

You're not helping, Sailronin! 😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HuntingSand said:

Thank you. Size is relative with the S lenses I suppose. Smaller than the 45mm it is I gather.

Yes, I prefer its output to 45mm as well though at different focal. 35mm is my favorite 28mm(FF) lenses ever touched and I have had a lot of them. :) 

1 hour ago, Milan_S said:

Can someone show so photos taken with the Summarit-S 35mm? Preferable portraits...

A few shots with the S 35 . . . 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 6

Sorry, not a portrait, but the best I have with the S 35.

• Like 11

And another (full color)

• Like 8