Cold weather use: M10 battery vs M240

quietglow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I wonder if anyone can offer anecdotal observation about the battery life of the M10 vs M240 in very cold temps. I frequently spend several hours shooting on winter days here in Chicago, and I'm able to do this with no problem using my M240. This past weekend I spent ~4hrs walking with the camera on a strap in the mid teens F (-10C), shot a few dozen frames, and the battery of my MP240 was ~90% when I finished. Basically, the cold almost seems to make no difference in battery life. Similarly, I've used the 240 on backpacking trips where the temps are barely above freezing for days at a time, and the battery life seems almost the same as if temps were moderate. 

I ask the question because I am considering a monochrom camera, and I've noticed that reviews often note the reduced battery life of the 10 compared to the 240/6. Not having to worry about battery swapping in the cold is an enormous benefit (for me) of the 240, so I want to suss out whether I'll lose that if I go to an M10 monochrom. 

Thanks for your input.

Hello,

as everybody knows if using M10 with only one battery is foolish ( or very crazy not to have a second one, at low temperature ) ,

M240 family is well better, I never need second battery for use on M246 all day use for example, on M-D it's battery can last weeks of use.

I had M10 before M240, and I appreciate a lot the family, so I bought other M246, M-D, 😉

had already M262 one year before M10.

Not one is better than another, only each is special for me, and I don't need more pixels anyway.

22 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello,

as everybody knows if using M10 with only one battery is foolish ( or very crazy not to have a second one, at low temperature ) ,

M240 family is well better, I never need second battery for use on M246 all day use for example, on M-D it's battery can last weeks of use.

I had M10 before M240, and I appreciate a lot the family, so I bought other M246, M-D, 😉

had already M262 one year before M10.

Not one is better than another, only each is special for me, and I don't need more pixels anyway.

This is very helpful. Thank you! I think maybe the battery for the 240 family was somewhat over-engineered to deal with the demands of video. I don't ever use mine to shoot video, but I do deeply appreciate that extra battery capacity to deal with cold (and also shooting all day on a single battery). I think the M246 will be the monochrom I go with. 

Operating range 0 ºC - 40 ºC, which is very similar to the specification of other camera brands. As Leica M cameras. are from metal and not isolated by rubber and plastic they will lose their heat very quickly.

https://www.leica-camera.cn/sites/default/files/documents/2017-01/Technical_Data_M10.pdf?fdl=1

Happily we can use our M below 0°C.

I learned with M8/M9 even smaller batteries to have them in near body pocket to keep them warm, then put in M's slot just before use.

Having more than two batteries by then was the way to go out, for a day long winter session.

11 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I learned with M8/M9 even smaller batteries to have them in near body pocket to keep them warm, then put in M's slot just before use.

Having more than two batteries by then was the way to go out, for a day long winter session.

I shot my M8 this way as well. I found that a warm battery would survive for about 45min or so at the temps described above (I do lots of ~4hr walks in the city in the winter). Then I would switch batteries, hopefully not right when something interesting was happening on the street. When I got the MP240, it was so nice to not have to do the battery shuffle. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i use my M10-D daily, twice on my way to/fro work or during the weekend, in the cold of Montréal with temperatures these days usually between -10°C and -25°C, each time for 30-45min or longer.  the camera gets indeed ice-cold, actually its shutter release button freezes up frequently so i have to thaw it with my finger(s) !

now, in terms of battery life i didn't do any tests but in general i am pleased with its life time in such weather while considering also how fairly frequently i push that release button, even just for activating the light meter and lens frames.  standby mode is set to two minutes.  i charge it once a week or even more rarely, so that's pretty good i feel.  i never had run out of power - except when that maledetto power wheel moves into wifi mode which drains the battery in no time...