User profiles

IJGRAY

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone point me in the direction of an article or youtube video or alternatively just explain the following to me. I have just bought an SL2 and I am trying to follow the Instruction manual in particular to set up the camera at a specific ISO and also allow for focus peaking. I think my main issue is once I alter a setting how do I save it permanently. By permanently I mean until I decide to change it again. When I change one value i.e. User profile settings then I find that it may have changed the ISO settings. I notice that in the main menu the ‘head and shoulders icon may have switched back to its original value. I hope I am making sense but its difficult to describe. 

2 hours ago, IJGRAY said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of an article or youtube video or alternatively just explain the following to me. I have just bought an SL2 and I am trying to follow the Instruction manual in particular to set up the camera at a specific ISO and also allow for focus peaking. I think my main issue is once I alter a setting how do I save it permanently. By permanently I mean until I decide to change it again. When I change one value i.e. User profile settings then I find that it may have changed the ISO settings. I notice that in the main menu the ‘head and shoulders icon may have switched back to its original value. I hope I am making sense but its difficult to describe. 

I normally just choose the user profile that is closest to what I want first. Then change the settings to what I want the user profile to be. Then I can either save over the previous user profile if I want to update that previous one or save it to a new profile if I want to make a new variant of the previous profile and have both options available.

16 hours ago, IJGRAY said:

When I change one value i.e. User profile settings then I find that it may have changed the ISO settings. I notice that in the main menu the ‘head and shoulders icon may have switched back to its original value. I hope I am making sense but its difficult to describe. 

User profile settings isn’t just one value, but a whole list of values for multiple functions including ISO settings that define a particular user profile, so yes, if you change to another profile you potentially change a lot of settings. I have profiles for landscapes, portraits, movement etc., they will share some  basic settings for consistency and several unique settings. 
like  beewee, I start with the profile that makes the most sense and adapt to the current situation as needed. I then revert back to a profile when start something new or if I get “lost” in the various settings. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, IJGRAY said:

How do you revert back to a profile. My problem is that I dont seem to be able to save a given profile to revert back to.

Once you have the camera set up like you want, go MENU and navigate to page 4 and select User profile. Default profile will be highlighted as active. Using the joystick, scroll up or down and select Manage Profiles, them select Save as Profile. Then select which profile to save to. The new settings will overwrite the old one or write to a new one if it hasn’t been used yet. There are 6 available profiles and you can rename them whatever you like. I would suggest renaming so it is easier to remember what each one is for.

7 hours ago, IJGRAY said: