What lens for a Leica newbie?

rmcnelly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting, my journey was so opposite, but that's what makes the world go around .....

Leica lenses , NOT the camera body brought me to the dance, I've always felt its ALL about the lens in film days and still MOSTLY about the lens in digital days. I wanted small, easy to carry, high performing lenses,.....after deciding on what type of lens kit I wanted I decided which would be my first lens. I'm still growing my kit but getting closer to completion.  I simply looked and bought the newest Leica camera body I could afford.

Basically I invested in lenses thinking I would upgrade the camera as desired along the way. 

I don't have advice on which lens, I would say compromise elsewhere. I have 21 SEM, 35 Cron, 75 Cron - each awesome. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I really do and I know I've persuaded a few others to get one and the feedback has been very positive.

I’m seriously thinking about getting this lens. May I ask, do you use it on digital and, if so, what Leica manual lens setting do you select - would it just be a 35 summicron?

6 hours ago, Masukami said:

I’m seriously thinking about getting this lens. May I ask, do you use it on digital and, if so, what Leica manual lens setting do you select - would it just be a 35 summicron?

Yes, I do use it on digital M cameras and manually set lens detection to 35/2 asph. It works great. Notice the corners and also the ice fisherman in the upper right.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:30 PM, rmcnelly said:

I’m grateful to all who responded (really fast response here too!). My very first camera was a Yashica rangefinder, but I have not shot a rangefinder in 45 years. So I’m a little worried about adjusting to a rangefinder again, when I’m over 60 and now wear progressive lenses. 

I have a long love affair with 35mm with much experience shooting the X100 series. Recently I picked up a Ricoh GR III (28mm equivalent). 

I’ve used a variety of adapted lenses on M4/3 and Fuji X-H1 and prefer character over sharpness. 

there is a M10 for sale near where I live, and I hope to get with the seller and get a sense of handling and focusing before spending so much on this platform. 

Many years ago i used a canon QL 17 or something like that rangefinder camera as well as my regular minolta x-700 SLR and it was a great camera but the clarity of the M rangefinder/viewfinder on the modern M cameras is breathtaking in its clarity which made the transition back to RF photography a total joy.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:35 PM, fotografr said:

I really do and I know I've persuaded a few others to get one and the feedback has been very positive.

You didn't persuate me! And I like the idea of this lens 🙂

Having already the 35 Cron asph v1, I feel like is a "similar" performance lens. Maybe somewhere between the 35 Cron and the 3/2.8 Biogon? The only thing I don't like about the Cron is the flare. I shoot a loot against the sun, and sometimes I can avoid it. Is the Ultron better in this therm? Because otherwise, I love everything about the Cron.

I think I could have one or no more than two lenses for each focal length. But for 35mm, I always "need" more, and I used them all, for different purposes! Long life to the 35 🙌

9 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Having already the 35 Cron asph v1…

The only thing I don't like about the Cron is the flare….

Same for me.  And a bit of mild focus shift at f/2.8 - f/4.

But I am considering the Ultron II.  I also have the 35 Summaron f2.8 (which I think you might as well), but I dislike the focus lock and am considering selling.  

Jeff

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Same for me.

Glad I'm not alone on this.

51 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I am considering the Ultron II

It's on my BH wishlist since a lot. Being a 35mm lover and avid shooter, I know that soon or later I will get one. The question is... Before Jeff? 🤔  

21 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Glad I'm not alone on this.

It's on my BH wishlist since a lot. Being a 35mm lover and avid shooter, I know that soon or later I will get one. The question is... Before Jeff? 🤔  

If I do it will probably be directly from CameraQuest, the US distributor.  But I’m in a consolidation (sales) mode right now, so first I’ll likely sell the Summaron and my M Monochrom (the M10M suffices).  Not convinced I should add the Ultron, given I also have the 35 Summilux (FLE). Sometimes less is more.  But, then again, the price is right…

Jeff

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

If I do it will probably be directly from CameraQuest, the US distributor.  But I’m in a consolidation (sales) mode right now, so first I’ll likely sell the Summaron and my M Monochrom (the M10M suffices).  Not convinced I should add the Ultron, given I also have the 35 Summilux (FLE). Sometimes less is more.  But, then again, the price is right…

Jeff

Not the best reason for buying, if you have no need. But it is purely a personal decision.

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Same for me.  And a bit of mild focus shift at f/2.8 - f/4.

But I am considering the Ultron II.  I also have the 35 Summaron f2.8 (which I think you might as well), but I dislike the focus lock and am considering selling.  

Jeff

Jeff, I have only comment on focus-lock-Summaron-35-2.8

I like the lens for long, and like you I want to get one without  focus lock.

Read somewhere that it can be easy fix, so I tried to "fix" with a small piece of paper in the lock mechanism.

After trying more than once, I succeded 👍 to permanently unlock the focus lever.

I wanted to do the same "fix" to my 35 Summicron "I" but this one refused to cooperate 💪, so I use the 8 elem. 35 Cron with focus lock "happily".

Good thing, I know by touch (in the dark/ or when in hurry), which one is which 35mm  😉.

• Thanks 1