What lens for a Leica newbie?

rmcnelly

2 hours ago, Theory033 said:

My favorite review site is the gear page from K. J. Vogelius:

http://gear.vogelius.se/index.html

He does a wonderful job describing the qualities of several M-mount (and LTM mount) lenses, after using them over a long period of time, years in some cases. Not the typical influencer blog or video channel that is trying to promote affiliate sales by reviewing lenses every week. I particularly like how he provides detailed descriptions of alternative lenses and how each lens renders on various camera bodies. For instance, here is a review for the Leica 35mm Summicron ASPH:

http://gear.vogelius.se/-reviews/leica-summicron-35-asph/index.html

My advice is to purchase Leica if you can, and the Leica 35mm Summicron ASPH is a wonderful all-around lens. Version 1 ASPH (manufactured from 1996 to about 2016) with 6-bit coding is a good option and will hold its value. I like small and light lenses, and (relatively) affordable ones, so I prefer this to the Summilux 35mm that I once owned. I also like the Summicron construction and usability (larger aperture ring, smoother focus, and closer minimum focus) compared to the Summarit 35mm f/2.5 lens. 

Thank you!

16 hours ago, rmcnelly said:

This is my first post here.  I'm considering a Leica M10 and need to get a good first lens that won't destroy my bank account.  35mm or 50mm suggestions?

Thanks!

My advice to you is that if you are spending the money to buy a beautiful camera like the M10, then why would you put anything on it other than a Leica lens?  I fully recognize the many pleasures that can be found with other branded lenses in particular price points or situations - but you will grow into these other options as you become more adept with the Leica rangefinder system.  In starting off, I would strongly recommend either the 35 or 50 Summicrons. While they are all great,  I would go for the newest model you can afford, making sure it is factory coded. Built in lens hoods are very convenient and so is a filter size that can work with future lens purchases.  Welcome to the wonderful world of Leica - it just keeps getting better!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lawman said:

My advice to you is that if you are spending the money to buy a beautiful camera like the M10, then why would you put anything on it other than a Leica lens?  I fully recognize the many pleasures that can be found with other branded lenses in particular price points or situations - but you will grow into these other options as you become more adept with the Leica rangefinder system.  In starting off, I would strongly recommend either the 35 or 50 Summicrons. While they are all great,  I would go for the newest model you can afford, making sure it is factory coded. Built in lens hoods are very convenient and so is a filter size that can work with future lens purchases.  Welcome to the wonderful world of Leica - it just keeps getting better!!!

Thank you!

Welcome to rangefinding! 🙂

It was a Leica Summilux-M 50mm ASPH that lured me into deciding to buy the lens, first, and then checking my budgetary numbers, to see which M camera I could afford to buy. 😉

Having said that, I am not a snob, when it comes to lenses, and though I have accumulated 50mm Summicron-M and Elmar-M Leica lenses, many of my other focal lengths are Zeiss ZM and Voigtlander VM. Any of the three Zeiss ZM 35mm lenses should be excellent. I chose the Distagon f/1,4 35mm ZM, but as it is quite large, might add the smallest of the three, the f/2,8 35mm ZM, for the times compactness is preferred.

Generally, it is best for a rangefinder beginner to use a 50mm or 35mm lens. 40mm is, of course, within that range, but there are no frame lines in the M10 viewfinder for 40mm.

I have not yet used any of the 35mm or 50mm Voigtlander VM lenses, or any of the 50mm Zeiss ZM lenses, so, cannot comment on them.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

It was a Leica Summilux-M 50mm ASPH that lured me into deciding to buy the lens, first, and then checking my budgetary numbers, to see which M camera I could afford to buy. 😉

Having said that, I am not a snob, when it comes to lenses, and though I have accumulated 50mm Summicron-M and Elmar-M Leica lenses, many of my other focal lengths are Zeiss ZM and Voigtlander VM. Any of the three Zeiss ZM 35mm lenses should be excellent. I chose the Distagon f/1,4 35mm ZM, but as it is quite large, might add the smallest of the three, the f/2,8 35mm ZM, for the times compactness is preferred.

Generally, it is best for a rangefinder beginner to use a 50mm or 35mm lens. 40mm is, of course, within that range, but there are no frame lines in the M10 viewfinder for 40mm.

I have not yet used any of the 35mm or 50mm Voigtlander VM lenses, or any of the 50mm Zeiss ZM lenses, so, cannot comment on them.

🙂. Thank you!  I am drooling over the images from the Leica Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. 😉

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rmcnelly said:

🙂. Thank you!  I am drooling over the images from the Leica Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. 😉

You are unlikely to regret buying that lens. It will please you on any Leica M-body.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RexGig0 said:

Your reply had me go and review my photos using a 35/2 on my Fuji X-H1 (for 50mm equiv Full Frame), and now I'm considering a 50mm for the M10 as first lens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmcnelly said:

Any preferred websites for lens reviews?

Sean Reid is, to my mind, the most careful and neutral reviewer in the business. He sits behind a brutally effective paywall. Since you're investing a lot of money, the cost for accessing it for a year is miniscule. He has reviewed probably every lens you would ever want. I suggest buying into his site for a year and read everything you need. Outside the paywall are free sample reviews that you could look at to see if it's worth it. He's a really, really good guy.

https://www.reidreviews.com/

Personally, I'm at the point where I'm questioning why I own absurdly expensive Leica glass when Voigtlander is now turning out amazing lenses as well for a small fraction of the price. If you feel the need to own Leica and don't mind overspending, go for it (I certainly did). But honestly, for 99% of photographers, the difference between the 2 systems is only the vast difference in cost. I'm glad I bought all that Leica glass, because otherwise I wouldn't believe it. So, you may have to go through it, too. Just sayin'...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Sean Reid is, to my mind, the most careful and neutral reviewer in the business. He sits behind a brutally effective paywall. Since you're investing a lot of money, the cost for accessing it for a year is miniscule. He has reviewed probably every lens you would ever want. I suggest buying into his site for a year and read everything you need. Outside the paywall are free sample reviews that you could look at to see if it's worth it. He's a really, really good guy.

https://www.reidreviews.com/

Personally, I'm at the point where I'm questioning why I own absurdly expensive Leica glass when Voigtlander is now turning out amazing lenses as well for a small fraction of the price. If you feel the need to own Leica and don't mind overspending, go for it (I certainly did). But honestly, for 99% of photographers, the difference between the 2 systems is only the vast difference in cost. I'm glad I bought all that Leica glass, because otherwise I wouldn't believe it. So, you may have to go through it, too. Just sayin'...

I just subscribed.  Thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Another thought as old Leica M user...

a - If I waited for reviews, I would not buy and use happily those nice lenses I use for decades.

b - with M mount lens, any review is (for me of course) pointless the lenses of our time is as good as can be

c - I took one Summilux if I want Summilux and I don't rely on another one's review of the Summilux (which one ? pre-asph. , asph. , FLE 1 or 2 ?).

d - only trying in real life/use with myself and my taste to get if the handling, size, weight etc. can suit my use

This is the best advice so far, in principle.  There is far too much emphasis on the subjective opinions of others in relation to what they see.  An image is not an empirical exercise. Buy a lens and take a photo.

If you want to indulge in research for its own sake, pixel peeping, image analysis, or lens comparisons, do so by all means. These are all interesting pursuits, but they are not photography. 

As for a lens, since you gravitate to 35mm, get a 35mm. Any Leica 35mm lens in M mount made since the M3 was introduced is a great start. They will all create worthwhile images, and give you the Leica experience. Everything else is academic. 

Enjoy your journey!

2 hours ago, rmcnelly said:

That was my first Leica lens too. It couldn't be anything else, because I loved to shoot wide open to achieve beautiful bokeh, and this lens begs to be used like that. I bought it together with a used M9. Later I upgraded to a new M10.

• Like 2

First lens recommendations...  I'm more a 50mm guy than 35mm so we'll start there...

The first Leica lens I owned was the 50mm Summicron f/2 (non APO).  This is still in the catalog and can be bought new for about $2.5k.  I owned it for a few years but sold it because I owned two other fifties.  I regret that to this day and probably will re-buy it at some point.  Ergonomically it is one of the best Leica lenses ever made (IMHO)...  Perfect size and weight, and the focus on mine was super light and fast which I like.  The drawing and bokeh was old school with a little bit of swirl wide open and painterly bokeh.  High contrast and plenty of sharpness but not too sharp...  Prone to a little CA but you should expect that from this vintage.  Highly recommended.

Stepping up in price and focal length, the Leica 75mm f/2 APO is (IMHO) one of the most under-rated and best value lenses in the current lineup.  Excellent ergonomics and extremely sharp.  A fantastic portrait lens and one that will blow you away by the detail that can be resolved.  But I know you wanted a 35mm or 50mm so we'll move on.

As others have mentioned, the Summarit line of Leica's "budget" f/2.4 lenses were discontinued a few years back but offered great value and price/performance ratios.  I would not have recommended buying these new.  But since they can now be found at excellent prices on the used market I would definitely recommend either the 35 or 50 Summarit as a starter lens.  There are quite a lot of these floating around in the used market.

For 35mm, currently your only option new is the 35mm Summicron f/2 ASPH.  This is a great lens with excellent modern performance: very sharp and high contast.  However if you are looking for a character lens it may disappoint.  It is more of a jack of all trades type of offering with excellent all round performance but maybe not that spice you are after.

Going off brand, I would steer you towards Voigtlander however I don't have any first hand experience there.  This will allow you to buy into the rangefinder experience again with a fast lens at a much lower price.  However one thing to keep in mind is that Leica lenses are recognized by the camera and receive in-camera improvements to things vignetting , which you won't get from third party offerings.

If buying used, this may open up the 35 or 50mm Summilux's.  This is now serious big boy territory.  Both the 35 and 50mm Summilux's are considered classics.  You will not be disappointed by either.  But finding one in the used market will be harder.  Since they are keeper lenses they don't come up as often and when they do there will be plenty of potential buyers to compete with.

Anyway, that's a long enough post for now.  I'll try to add more later.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fabior said:

I don't have the summilux 50mm asph but I believe is a first choice with no regrets but if you have time to read a  very large Leica  overview of the great end regretted Erwin Puts here you can spend a lot of time ! https://collectiblend.com/Library/Leica_Lens_Compendium_Content.php

Thank you for the link!

4 minutes ago, paulsydaus said:

First lens recommendations...  I'm more a 50mm guy than 35mm so we'll start there...

The first Leica lens I owned was the 50mm Summicron f/2 (non APO).  This is still in the catalog and can be bought new for about $2.5k.  I owned it for a few years but sold it because I owned two other fifties.  I regret that to this day and probably will re-buy it at some point.  Ergonomically it is one of the best Leica lenses ever made (IMHO)...  Perfect size and weight, and the focus on mine was super light and fast which I like.  The drawing and bokeh was old school with a little bit of swirl wide open and painterly bokeh.  High contrast and plenty of sharpness but not too sharp...  Prone to a little CA but you should expect that from this vintage.  Highly recommended.

Stepping up in price and focal length, the Leica 75mm f/2 APO is (IMHO) one of the most under-rated and best value lenses in the current lineup.  Excellent ergonomics and extremely sharp.  A fantastic portrait lens and one that will blow you away by the detail that can be resolved.  But I know you wanted a 35mm or 50mm so we'll move on.

As others have mentioned, the Summarit line of Leica's "budget" f/2.4 lenses were discontinued a few years back but offered great value and price/performance ratios.  I would not have recommended buying these new.  But since they can now be found at excellent prices on the used market I would definitely recommend either the 35 or 50 Summarit as a starter lens.  There are quite a lot of these floating around in the used market.

For 35mm, currently your only option new is the 35mm Summicron f/2 ASPH.  This is a great lens with excellent modern performance: very sharp and high contast.  However if you are looking for a character lens it may disappoint.  It is more of a jack of all trades type of offering with excellent all round performance but maybe not that spice you are after.

Going off brand, I would steer you towards Voigtlander however I don't have any first hand experience there.  This will allow you to buy into the rangefinder experience again with a fast lens at a much lower price.  However one thing to keep in mind is that Leica lenses are recognized by the camera and receive in-camera improvements to things vignetting , which you won't get from third party offerings.

If buying used, this may open up the 35 or 50mm Summilux's.  This is now serious big boy territory.  Both the 35 and 50mm Summilux's are considered classics.  You will not be disappointed by either.  But finding one in the used market will be harder.  Since they are keeper lenses they don't come up as often and when they do there will be plenty of potential buyers to compete with.

Anyway, that's a long enough post for now.  I'll try to add more later.

Paul

Thank you Paul!

Love the input on the Leica 75mm f/2 APO as well.  I'm definitely looking at used lenses, and also interested in vintage rangefinder options.

Rick