Leica M11 issue: lock exposure for multiple image in aperture priority

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

44 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I can confirm that AE lock works with manual and Auto ISO (lock exposure with half-press, take a shot and keep the shutter half-pressed).

Camera firmware 1.4.0.0.

Thank you very much!! 

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2022 at 9:18 PM, SrMi said:

I can confirm that AE lock works with manual and Auto ISO (lock exposure with half-press, take a shot and keep the shutter half-pressed).

Camera firmware 1.4.0.0.

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this thread (should I create a new thread ?), but I would love to have a dedicated button on the M11 to lock the exposure.

By chance, there is one free 🙂 : the button at the center of the 4 arrows at the rear of the camera. It is not used when the live view button is not pressed. To secure the use of the center button, it could be associated to a long press on that button.

It would allow to lock the exposure much more safly when you need to change the exposure during some minutes, as, even if the half press-press-half press procedure is working, keeping the finger just half pressed during some minutes is tricky.

And also it would be much more simple than : change to M ISO on top left wheel (2 actions: push wheel then turn), press menu button, click on ISO on screen on menu, select ISO with rear wheel, change speed value on top wheel to lock exposure ... and same thing back once finished.

What do you think of this idea for a next firmware update ?

Thank you.

Edited by jcm0

1 hour ago, jcm0 said:

By chance, there is one free 🙂 : the button at the center of the 4 arrows at the rear of the camera. It is not used when the live view button is not pressed.

Then AE lock by the center button would work in RF mode and not in LV mode really? Too confusing for me sorry. If i had to lock exposure for a long time i would quit the auto mode anyway.

I certainly get (and like) the idea here, but unless I did it *a lot*, I’d think it would be very error prone; quite easy to life a little too high once. Yes, I know it is a problem on modern AF SLRs too :) I guess if you were really shooting “slow continuous shooting” just lift a little, shoot, lift shoot, and had some practice, it would be pretty handy (as it is on a AF SLR)

I didn’t plough through the whole thread, but did nobody suggest manual exposure?  Basically any M is a manual camera and going digital did add a few electronic options. But it is unrealistic to expect the digital refinement of a mirrorless camera designed from the ground up. With an M you should find a solution in basic photographic techniques instead of wishing for more automation. 

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

indeed some suggested manual mode 🤗

And indeed the manual mode would be appropriate for an M camera (even with M11 😁). But I do not fully understand this thread as the problem is fully solved. Besides the fully manual mode the half press exposure button will lock exposure and this way you can take one shot after the next without change of neither ISO nor time (both on auto). Just keep button half pressed after taking a shot.

That works in OVF mode or in LV via the screen or with Visoflex2.

Is that a bug now? I presume that its perfect as it works. 

Edited by M11 for me

@lct  You're right. The lock exposure could be activated by a long press on the center button of the 4 way pad at rear of the camera. It would work in both LV and RF mode.

@MrPaulK @M11 for me I agree : the half press-press-half press method works and is simple to use, but uncomfortable/unreliable (finger could be released) to keep the exposure for few minutes. Using a long press action to activate should avoid any unintentional use.

@Photoworks, @jaapv I am aware of using the manual mode instead, as explain in my first message ... but it requires at least 6 actions on 3 wheels to do that (see my first message).

It could be very useful when making multiple shots under the same scene when using A (auto) mode : I simply direct my camera on an area for light measurement, lock exposure, and make multiple shots without have to take extra care of my finger on the shutter button. That use case is quite common.  And this method would be simpler than using full manual exposure (no wheel needed to adjust the speed).

I understand people who prefer using manual mode will not be interested, but this could please people using the A mode. It is just an alternative possibility.

29 minutes ago, jcm0 said:

The lock exposure could be activated by a long press on the center button of the 4 way pad at rear of the camera. It would work in both LV and RF mode.

Sounds interesting if it does not interfere with the short press for display options.

1 hour ago, jcm0 said:

@lct  You're right. The lock exposure could be activated by a long press on the center button of the 4 way pad at rear of the camera. It would work in both LV and RF mode.

@MrPaulK @M11 for me I agree : the half press-press-half press method works and is simple to use, but uncomfortable/unreliable (finger could be released) to keep the exposure for few minutes. Using a long press action to activate should avoid any unintentional use.

@Photoworks, @jaapv I am aware of using the manual mode instead, as explain in my first message ... but it requires at least 6 actions on 3 wheels to do that (see my first message).

It could be very useful when making multiple shots under the same scene when using A (auto) mode : I simply direct my camera on an area for light measurement, lock exposure, and make multiple shots without have to take extra care of my finger on the shutter button. That use case is quite common.  And this method would be simpler than using full manual exposure (no wheel needed to adjust the speed).

I understand people who prefer using manual mode will not be interested, but this could please people using the A mode. It is just an alternative possibility.

My manual mode consists of one action: adjust the aperture ring and the shutter speed dial simultaneously whilst watching the little triangles in the viewfinder. Far more convenient than farting around with adjustments to automatic modes and nearly instantaneous . I wonder what your six steps and three wheels are. 

OP here. The problem got addressed in first Firmware update.  I am happy. 

As for manual exposure as alternative, it really depends on situation. Light change (in out of shadow etc), aperture change depend on DOF you want cover based on shooting case all make manual slow.  

Yes, I can do manual but don't want lose a valuable option. This was an omission and Leica addressed it. 

15 minutes ago, jaapv said:

No it isn’t 

@lctmeant post #45 where shooting in manual mode was suggested. It does not hurt to suggest it several time, though 😀.

1 hour ago, jcm0 said:

M11 has 3 assignable buttons. One of them could be used for AEL.

8 hours ago, SrMi said:

@lctmeant post #45 where shooting in manual mode was suggested. It does not hurt to suggest it several time, though 😀.

I think you missed the reference 😜

8 hours ago, ZHNL said:

OP here. The problem got addressed in first Firmware update.  I am happy. 

As for manual exposure as alternative, it really depends on situation. Light change (in out of shadow etc), aperture change depend on DOF you want cover based on shooting case all make manual slow.  

Yes, I can do manual but don't want lose a valuable option. This was an omission and Leica addressed it. 

I think it is more a matter of personal preference than of speed. Are you suggesting that an M6 is a slow camera? 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

My manual mode consists of one action: adjust the aperture ring and the shutter speed dial simultaneously whilst watching the little triangles in the viewfinder. Far more convenient than farting around with adjustments to automatic modes and nearly instantaneous . I wonder what your six steps and three wheels are. 

Absolutely. The new thing is that @jcm0 speaks suddenly about a few minutes !!! That is a different story.

Given that this is an optical viewfinder - rangefinder camera with an auxiliary EVF that appears to be the logical step. If one wants to use an EVF camera, a dedicated one like an SL will be the better choice. A stick-on EVF is a welcome addition for tele/macro/ wide angle/ specific focus use, but can never be as good and versatile as an integrated one.