Leica M11 issue: lock exposure for multiple image in aperture priority

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb ZHNL:

maybe you don’t use it but not a strange user case at all.

As most manufactures just did this. I just checked SL2S did this correctly too. So is Panasonic S5, so is NIKON Z did the same:) 

I believe M don’t have this problem until m11. 

Very interesting issue, thanks for reporting it! I too use this a lot with my M10  😱  I hope Leica can fix this in a future firmware update for the M11.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alexander-HH said:

This is interesting. Just tried with my M10 (not -P) : exposure locks also in LV mode as long as the shutter button is half-pressed 🤔

To clarify, the tested operation is as follows:
a) half-press to lock exposure
b) move the frame to a different lighted scene, keep exposure locked with half-press
c) take the image and keep the shutter half-pressed
d) the exposure should still be locked as in a)
Does LV in M10 work correctly?

• Like 1

vor 29 Minuten schrieb SrMi:

To clarify, the tested operation is as follows:
a) half-press to lock exposure
b) move the frame to a different lighted scene, keep exposure locked with half-press
c) take the image and keep the shutter half-pressed
d) the exposure should still be locked as in a)
Does LV in M10 work correctly?

No, tested it again and it changes, must have made a mistake when trying the first time. So in LV exposure is not kept locked, same as reported for the M10-P. Sorry for the confusion! 😬

Just now, Alexander-HH said:

No, tested it again and it changes, must have made a mistake when trying the first time. So in LV exposure is not kept locked, same as reported for the M10-P. Sorry for the confusion! 😬

Thanks for the update!

Realistically, for pictures to stitch (or other times the exposure must be locked) - I simply go to manual exposure. Always have.

Set ISO, set aperture, set shutter speed. LV or RF, no difference.

The M's DO have that nice big clearly-engraved shutter speed dial on top. ;)

"Automation is just a way of having your camera make your mistakes for you!" - anonymous

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, adan said:

Realistically, for pictures to stitch (or other times the exposure must be locked) - I simply go to manual exposure. Always have.

"Automation is just a way of having your camera make your mistakes for you!" - anonymous

In this case I disagree. In fast situation,  with difficult light, lock exposure is very useful. Look exposure is a my exposure not an automation.

• Like 1

For S I used Manual 90% for stitch because the big shutter speed dial is so easy to reach and turn and you can see both aperture and speed setting in Window.

For M or SL2 with manual lens, I found I used mostly lock way unless I am on tripod. It is just the way I used these cameras quite differently based on preference or shooting scenarios. 

You can also do panoramas with view cameras, on a 10 kilo tripod. And many here do. That does not mean we all should, or that that means lighter cameras, better stitching software, and shooting panoramas from hand should be considered irrelevant ;)

This is simply bad UI design.

AE lock means AE lock. It doesn’t mean ”lock, but then release the lock and pretend it was never there after 1 shot”.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, orcinus said:

You can also do panoramas with view cameras, on a 10 kilo tripod. And many here do. That does not mean we all should, or that that means lighter cameras, better stitching software, and shooting panoramas from hand should be considered irrelevant ;)

This is simply bad UI design.

AE lock means AE lock. It doesn’t mean ”lock, but then release the lock and pretend it was never there after 1 shot”.

Agreed. Strange that nobody noticed that the bug was there in LV since M10 at least.

15 hours ago, Sergius said:

I’m afraid it’s not a bug. Probably it’s impossible with new way of exposing with sensor. 

Why would it be impossible? Storing two numerical values (the last shutter speed and ISO, if on ISO-Auto), and retaining them after an exposure is all it takes.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/25/2022 at 1:06 PM, adan said:

Its amazing how many of these "my M"X" camera doesn't do "XYZ" when in Auto mode gripes could be avoided by shooting manually.

6 hours ago, Sergius said:

I mean without releasing  half press after the first shoot.  Like from M8 to M10. 

I can confirm that AE lock works with manual and Auto ISO (lock exposure with half-press, take a shot and keep the shutter half-pressed).

Camera firmware 1.4.0.0.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2