Leica M11 issue: lock exposure for multiple image in aperture priority

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I posted this in firmware update thread without reply. I think it is better to start a new thread for this as I feel this is one of more serious bugs for me personally.  

If I want to shoot multiple frames with locked exposure in aperture priority mode, in the past, I just need half press shutter and keep it pressed and shooting. Because there is no option to enable or disable half press shutter lock exposure for Leica M. (Many other camera let you select this as option), this is especially important. 

I will pick two scenarios why this is important. 

• Stitch frame: you want lock the exposure and keep exposure consistent when you do panned shots. For M11, you can only have two shot with exposure locked because after first image, the meter relock the scene right away, but after 2nd image, the meter reevaluate and re-lock again. If you took 5 image stitch, first two will have the same exposure, #3&4 have another, and #5 will be another exposure. (assume light conditions are different for each frame)
  • Assume you take backlight portrait, you might want lock exposure by point camera down to avoid meter for highlight, (you can decide how to meter the image based on scene without using manual mode, it could be trying to overexposure or under exposure  but you get my idea) Then you take the images, but you try to get a better expression, or the last one subject eyes were closed, you want keep your shutter half pressed to fire right way with original locked exposure. With M11, you can't. It will evaluate the exposure again with that backlight condition.  

Can you guys check if this is my camera issue or M11 issue?

I tried E shutter, mechanical shutter, LV/EVF on, LV/EVF off, none of them make any difference. 

Any help will be welcome. 

Edited by ZHNL
  • Like 4

• ZHNL changed the title to Leica M11 issue: lock exposure for multiple image in aperture priority
14 minutes ago, SrMi said:

When shooting in Continuous mode, Aperture Priority Mode, the exposure is locked until I release the shutter. Is that not the case on your M11?

Yep, it is locked. But it doesn't solve my issue. I can't imagine people using Continues mode for the cases I described. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Yep, it is locked. But it doesn't solve my issue. I can't imagine people using Continues mode for the cases I described. 

Is this correct: you want to alternate between half press and full press, never fully releasing the shutter, and would like to have the exposure locked until you fully release the shutter?

When shooting stitch frames, with any camera, I always switch to manual exposure.

12 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Is this correct: you want to alternate between half press and full press, never fully releasing the shutter, and would like to have the exposure locked until you fully release the shutter?

When shooting stitch frames, with any camera, I always switch to manual exposure.

Yes, that is correct. I need double check my m10p which is not around right now. (I don't think I have this issue before) But most of cameras I used if the option of half press lock the exposure selected, it will lock until you release the half pressed shutter.

Sure, manual works which I do too. but that requires extra step for me in the field if I am not in manual mode before.  I usually do WO stitch and stop down stitch for different reason. Aperture priority is way more easier in this case if I can lock the exposure. 

Edited by ZHNL
  • Like 1

Just tried with the M10 (standard) and M10 Monochrom: When you lock a certain exposure time with half press and then press full to take the picture both cameras use the locked exposure time for all the shots in continuous mode. No difference whether you use  LiveView or not or which metering method you use - it also works in multi field mode. 

I see no reason why the M11 should react differently. 

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

Just tried with the M10 (standard) and M10 Monochrom: When you lock a certain exposure time with half press and then press full to take the picture both cameras use the locked exposure time for all the shots in continuous mode. No difference whether you use  LiveView or not or which metering method you use - it also works in multi field mode. 

I see no reason why the M11 should react differently. 

Indeed, it works the same as in M10-R, though the situation you describe is not discussed. OP shoots in single-shot mode, locks the exposure with half-press, takes a shot, and keeps the shutter half-pressed expecting the initial locked exposure to be maintained. That is not the case. After the shot, a new exposure is locked instead. 

2 hours ago, ZHNL said:

Yes, that is correct. I need double check my m10p which is not around right now. (I don't think I have this issue before) But most of cameras I used if the option of half press lock the exposure selected, it will lock until you release the half pressed shutter.

Sure, manual works which I do too. but that requires extra step for me in the field if I am not in manual mode before.  I usually do WO stitch and stop down stitch for different reason. Aperture priority is way more easier in this case if I can lock the exposure. 

M11 and M10-R work the same for that case (tested in LV)

Edited by SrMi

20 minutes ago, SrMi said:

M11 and M10-R work the same for that case.

Thank you for checking  

Just checked with my m10P, it works as it should be: exposure locked as long as you half pressed shutter in single mode. 

I would think most M user will be in single shot mode. I almost never use continues at all. 

for sure it is a bug. I will check SL2S and S later and report back here.  

13 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Thank you for checking  

Just checked with my m10P, it works as it should be: exposure locked as long as you half pressed shutter in single mode. 

I would think most M user will be in single shot mode. I almost never use continues at all. 

for sure it is a bug. I will check SL2S and S later and report back here.  

Correction: M10-R in LV works as M11. In rangefinder mode, M10-R works as you expect it. A bit strange use case, but still. I would file a bug.

3 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Correction: M10-R in LV works as M11. In rangefinder mode, M10-R works as you expect it. A bit strange use case, but still. I would file a bug.

maybe you don’t use it but not a strange user case at all.

As most manufactures just did this. I just checked SL2S did this correctly too. So is Panasonic S5, so is NIKON Z did the same:) 

I believe M don’t have this problem until m11. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

maybe you don’t use it but not a strange user case at all.

As most manufactures just did this. I just checked SL2S did this correctly too. So is Panasonic S5, so is NIKON Z did the same:) 

I believe M don’t have this problem until m11. 

M10-P does it the same as M11, but only in LV. In rangefinder mode, M10-P and M10-R behave as you expect.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

the M10-R can hold the exposure.

the Sl2 can hold the exposure.

the M11 not, but the shutter press feels totally different from M10R

Yes, M10-R can hold exposure, but only in the rangefinder mode. The bug in LV mode was always there and got passed on to M11 :(.

Edited by SrMi