Voigtländer Nokton 50 mm F1.0 asph. VM

Mefty

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 (Wide open)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 (Wide open)

• Like 7

M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 @ 5.6 , pretty sharp!

• Like 5

Some close shots - M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 (Wide open)

• Like 3

More shots - M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 (Wide open)

• Like 2

Trying to capture movement! - M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 (Wide open)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One more for the Bokeh lover!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 12:27 PM, dsetiono01 said:

By the way, paired with the M10-R they really looked like they were made for each other!

don't say that ...

11 hours ago, NicholasT said:

Totally agree that this lens must perform at F1, F1.4 and F2 otherwise there's no point in taking the weight, size and financial hit compared to many other very capable options including the one you mention and would like to see compared.

That said, what often gets lost in discussions comparing lens is the fact that many of us end up with multiple 50's each with a different "use case". At least in my photography I find this lens acquisition strategy highly inefficient and actually counter productive.

If I know I'm going to shoot portraits the decision is easy (grab the fast lens), but when I'm going out and about either in my home city or when traveling, I may come across a great portrait opportunity while shooting cityscapes (or landscapes for that matter) or I may continue shooting at dusk or at night. I don't want to be lugging 2 or 3 different 50's on one hand or miss out on best tool for the job on the other.

So yes I bought this lens for its anticipated performance wide open, but also want to use it frequently at F 5.6 and F 8 i.e. looking for superior corner to corner performance particularly in areas that cannot be easily corrected in post.

I've been looking for a very long time for a superior quality "do it all" 50mm, but was not prepared to take the weight / size penalty of carrying around a Noctilux all day, not to mention the mind and wallet blowing financial hit! 

Based on the relatively modest size, weight, superior handling, lovely rendering, separation wide open and "apparent" performance stopped down (still need to further validate this point) my search may finally be over. I'm very close to declaring the Nokton 50mm F1 the perfect "all around" 50mm for my style of photography. 

Don't take me wrong the Noctilux is (likely) still in a class of its own, although clearly by a smaller margin than a week ago. Its a wonderful lens but I see it as a specialty item...unless one's name is Thorsten :)  

When you get around to shooting it stopped down, say around f/5.6, please let us know if you notice any signs of mid-zone weakness/softness/weirdness. So far the only full-res M10-R images I've seen made with this lens have been posted in the DPR VM50/1 thread by "BostonBoy." HIs stopped down photos of building facades, as well as other images, hint at some mid-zone strangeness.

Regarding your lens selection rationale, I get where you're coming from. I also have multiple lenses at different speeds (and size) at certain focal lengths and empathize with the dilemma one can face trying to decide which to take on an outing, if not both (and the resulting increase in kit size and total weight that it entails). My collection of 50s includes some between f/1.1 and f/1.5 with plenty of character. But most of those also aren't strong performing general purpose lenses when stopped down. As a result, my 'daily carry' 50mm is the Lux ASPH because it's fast, pleasing and predictable enough wide open for the kinds of portraits you mentioned, while also very sharp stopped down (though it has mid-zone weakness between f/2.8-4) and is relatively compact. I've settled on alternating slow and fast lenses for my daily use kit: 21/3.4, 28/1.4, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 90/4. This gives me a few slower, but smaller high performing lenses that are complemented by a couple fast f/1.4s at focal lengths that make the most sense for my needs (both for shallow DoF effects and low light uses). This way I have fast if I need it, while keeping the overall size and weight of the kit in check for when I'm in good light and usually working stopped down.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dsetiono01 said:

More shots - M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 (Wide open)

I have to comment on this photo... she was checking out her handbag thru the reflection but him... checking out his belly thru the reflection.

Edited by jaeger
  • Haha 2

M10-P + Voigtländer @f1.0 (out of cam jpg).

• Like 18

• Like 7

Just now, LarsHP said:

I think the central part of the image looks impressive, even wide open. However, tests have shown that the Nokton f/1.0 has reverse field curvature, which ruins the idea of getting this lens to me. For reference, check Fred Miranda's test here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1732339/25#15851525

The new Syoptic 50 1.1 lens looks really good.  All for only $300.

On 2/2/2022 at 12:04 PM, Cobram said:

I'm not that much impressed by its rendering... Considering Voigtlander offers also Nokton 50 1.2 which is smaller and cheaper and ...yes slower...but anyway. 

I'm still hoping for Nokton 28mm F1.4 . 

I agree. Although the lens looks sharp, the bokeh looks a bit nervous and busy. Also is it not the case that the larger minimum focus distance removes the opportunity to isolate the subject further?