Voigtländer Nokton 50 mm F1.0 asph. VM

Mefty

Not sure if this demonstrates any unique characteristics of this lens, but here it is on the M10-R Wide open at 1.0!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

M10-R | Nokton 50 F1.0 | ISO 800

• Like 2

M10-R | Nokton 50 F1.0 | ISO 5000

• Like 5

M10-R | Nokton 50 F1.0 | ISO 250

• Like 4

By the way, paired with the M10-R they really looked like they were made for each other!

• Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, dsetiono01 said:

By the way, paired with the M10-R they really looked like they were made for each other!

The shape is similar to Noct 50/1.2

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the many examples.
Now I can already get a pretty good impression of the look of the pictures.
Especially the portraits of Tp2000 (a really cute model) show me what I wanted to see.
What is shown is really impressive. Above all, the fast transition of sharpness and the combination of sharpness in the close-up range and the bokeh shown.

I think, I will start looking for a dealer that can ship the lens in a short time. Seems to be not that easy....

I dare say it’s the “character” of the various F1 50s that will still largely determine which versions are bought but it seems we can start to conclude at this early stage that this Voigt is a really really good lens. Thanks to all those contributing images to date.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cboy said:

Anyone done side by side comparison with the noct by any chance?

Is there any distinctive character to this lens that sets it apart from other fast 50mm primes? Eg Falloff, saturation, acuity, bokeh character.

There's an earlier post which was non-scientific, but does show them both side by side.

Your second question is more nuanced, having used both side by side then if you were looking for a Leica fast 50 that it was most like, then I'd say the 0.95 has more similarities to the VM F1 lens than other Noctilux lenses. That said, you could probably find similarities to the Summilux if you looked hard enough too. 

32 minutes ago, Tp2000 said:

One final photo, something a little different but shows a messier background and also a mix of foreground and background layers.

Called on my old sports photography skills with this, prefocussed and then hoped for the best. 

M10R, F1, ISO100, 1/1500

This was around sunset - when you shoot something like this, you also remember how much light it pulls in and the upsides in IQ it gives you (assuming, of course, you can get it in focus!) :)

👌Amazing getting this shot in focus wide open!  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RalfK said:

I think, I will start looking for a dealer that can ship the lens in a short time. Seems to be not that easy....

In the US, it looks like everything is sold out until April and there is already a listing on eBay asking $1000 above MSRP.

I am not sure how Cosina is distributing lenses across the globe though.

M11, Shot at F1, ISO 320, 1/15

Test shot at 0.9 minimum distance / SOOC

Important clarification: The onion shaped bokeh on the left are candles. That is the actual shape of the flame i.e. a very accurate rendition of the scene. 

Color me impressed.

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1 looks like a keeper!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Tp2000 said:

One final photo, something a little different but shows a messier background and also a mix of foreground and background layers.

Called on my old sports photography skills with this, prefocussed and then hoped for the best. 

M10R, F1, ISO100, 1/1500

This was around sunset - when you shoot something like this, you also remember how much light it pulls in and the upsides in IQ it gives you (assuming, of course, you can get it in focus!) :)

Great job getting such an expressive photo and in great light, too, while juggling the considerable technical challenges! IMO this setting - relatively tight framing, with a darker and distant background, is the ideal scenario for such a lens. It really makes the subject stand out and hides distractions. I'd dare say it doesn't really scream f/1.0 lens, in part because it's sharp and low in spherical aberrations typical of most such 50s. If you showed it around, I'd think many would guess it was a fast 85 instead. Doesn't really matter though. You got the shot!

• Like 1

One doesn't buy this lens to shoot at f8, right? But is f1.4 much sharper than f1? Like the difference in the 35/1.2 III between 1.2 and 1.4 ... It's huge.

Because F1 looks already pretty good for my eyes. I'm asking because I'm in the pursuit of a fast 50mm. This is the another thread

Regardless size and weight, how it will be this Nokton compared to the 35/1.2 III at 1.4 .. ?

F1 and be there all day long? When is possible, yes please! Or do you usually stop down with this super fast lenses? 

Edited by Dennis

7 hours ago, Dennis said:

One doesn't buy this lens to shoot at f8, right?

Totally agree that this lens must perform at F1, F1.4 and F2 otherwise there's no point in taking the weight, size and financial hit compared to many other very capable options including the one you mention and would like to see compared.

That said, what often gets lost in discussions comparing lens is the fact that many of us end up with multiple 50's each with a different "use case". At least in my photography I find this lens acquisition strategy highly inefficient and actually counter productive.

If I know I'm going to shoot portraits the decision is easy (grab the fast lens), but when I'm going out and about either in my home city or when traveling, I may come across a great portrait opportunity while shooting cityscapes (or landscapes for that matter) or I may continue shooting at dusk or at night. I don't want to be lugging 2 or 3 different 50's on one hand or miss out on best tool for the job on the other.

So yes I bought this lens for its anticipated performance wide open, but also want to use it frequently at F 5.6 and F 8 i.e. looking for superior corner to corner performance particularly in areas that cannot be easily corrected in post.

I've been looking for a very long time for a superior quality "do it all" 50mm, but was not prepared to take the weight / size penalty of carrying around a Noctilux all day, not to mention the mind and wallet blowing financial hit! 

Based on the relatively modest size, weight, superior handling, lovely rendering, separation wide open and "apparent" performance stopped down (still need to further validate this point) my search may finally be over. I'm very close to declaring the Nokton 50mm F1 the perfect "all around" 50mm for my style of photography. 

Don't take me wrong the Noctilux is (likely) still in a class of its own, although clearly by a smaller margin than a week ago. Its a wonderful lens but I see it as a specialty item...unless one's name is Thorsten :)  

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally had time to go out and shoot some more with this Gem!

All wide open with M10-R, some minor tweaking to fix highlight/shadows

• Like 4

M10R | Nokton 50mm F1.0 (Wide open)

• Like 2