Voigtländer Nokton 50 mm F1.0 asph. VM

Mefty

Advertisement (gone after registration)

gelatin silver print (nokton 50mm f1.1) leica m3

Erik.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Erik van Straten said:

gelatin silver print (nokton 50mm f1.1) leica m3

Erik.

This is a lens that I feel people don't talk much about. The new CV 50/1 is mostly getting compared/contrasted with the 50/1.2, but I'm curious how it stacks up against their earlier 50/1.1? Any thoughts?

12 hours ago, Erik van Straten said:

I don't like fast lenses on digital. In fact I don't like digital at all. I would like to see images taken with the new lens on film (b+w).

Erik.

On film, the reverse field curvature may be straightened out, since there is no glass layer in front of film as there is in digital cameras.

The comparisons against any 50mm f1.2 lens doesn't seem particularly fair since it's significantly more difficult to design for f1.0.

Now I really want to see if the Leica 50 f/1.0 (and f 0.95) has comparable issues in the corners due to optical vignetting. (Fred has already shown numerous times that the issue is *not* related to field curvature). Pictures by Lupo here (https://www.rangefinderforum.com/node/50406/page96#post4770150) show a very similar effect in the corners. 

PS: I also have this lens and some color negative film that I will try and shoot with this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 9

18 hours ago, astrobuoy said:

This is a lens that I feel people don't talk much about. The new CV 50/1 is mostly getting compared/contrasted with the 50/1.2, but I'm curious how it stacks up against their earlier 50/1.1? Any thoughts?

I have the 50/1.1 -  The criticisms of that lens tend to be focus shift and rather busy/chaotic bokeh.  If you test for it, the focus shift is real, but I don't notice it in actual use.  The bokeh issue only appears in some images. The 50/1 images here look to be noticeably smoother in the OOF areas.  The 50/1 looks to be larger in diameter than the 50/1.1 so possibly more viewfinder blockage and is a bit heavier.  I'm sure the 50/1 is the superior lens, but in my view probably not enough to justify moving from the 50/1.1. But, never say never 😀

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

gelatin silver print (nokton 50mm f1.1) leica m5

Erik.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, proteneer said:

The comparisons against any 50mm f1.2 lens doesn't seem particularly fair since it's significantly more difficult to design for f1.0.

Now I really want to see if the Leica 50 f/1.0 (and f 0.95) has comparable issues in the corners due to optical vignetting. (Fred has already shown numerous times that the issue is *not* related to field curvature). Pictures by Lupo here (https://www.rangefinderforum.com/node/50406/page96#post4770150) show a very similar effect in the corners. 

PS: I also have this lens and some color negative film that I will try and shoot with this weekend.

That was until he did a proper test for field curvature. The test in the link below shows FC:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1732339/25#15851525

• Like 1

• Like 11

• Like 13

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The 1.0 definitely looks smoother in regards to the 1.1, at least with digital. So I can expect it’ll look nicer on film. Possibly someone owns a film camera that owns the 1.0??? 

I’ve never been a fan of the 1.1 on film or digital. Hard to put a finger on it but the lens exhibits a busy rendering without offering depth. 

In a tide of f1.0 and f0.95 lenses, it offers nothing special. 

On 2/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, rscheffler said:

When you get around to shooting it stopped down, say around f/5.6, please let us know if you notice any signs of mid-zone weakness/softness/weirdness. So far the only full-res M10-R images I've seen made with this lens have been posted in the DPR VM50/1 thread by "BostonBoy." HIs stopped down photos of building facades, as well as other images, hint at some mid-zone strangeness.

Regarding your lens selection rationale, I get where you're coming from. I also have multiple lenses at different speeds (and size) at certain focal lengths and empathize with the dilemma one can face trying to decide which to take on an outing, if not both (and the resulting increase in kit size and total weight that it entails). My collection of 50s includes some between f/1.1 and f/1.5 with plenty of character. But most of those also aren't strong performing general purpose lenses when stopped down. As a result, my 'daily carry' 50mm is the Lux ASPH because it's fast, pleasing and predictable enough wide open for the kinds of portraits you mentioned, while also very sharp stopped down (though it has mid-zone weakness between f/2.8-4) and is relatively compact. I've settled on alternating slow and fast lenses for my daily use kit: 21/3.4, 28/1.4, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 90/4. This gives me a few slower, but smaller high performing lenses that are complemented by a couple fast f/1.4s at focal lengths that make the most sense for my needs (both for shallow DoF effects and low light uses). This way I have fast if I need it, while keeping the overall size and weight of the kit in check for when I'm in good light and usually working stopped down.

Apologies @rscheffler for the slow response. It's been a busy week. Also unfortunately I've had no time to get out to test the lens.

Recent posts describing some of the issues reported by Fred Miranda are giving me pause.  I'm fully convinced that the Nokton 50mm F1 will more than meet my needs wide open. However its now appearing increasingly unlikely that this lens can serve as my "daily carry". I wasn't expecting it perform like the 50mm F2 APO Lanthar stopped down (few lens do) but was hoping for above average performance for landscape / cityscape use.

Purchasing this lens for use as an "all around" 50mm was probably an unrealistic expectation on my part. The challenge of designing an F1 lens is exponentially harder than an F1.4 or F2 lens so clearly something had to give when prioritizing lens performance for different use cases. 

I think you may actually have the perfect daily carry in the Leica 50mm F1.4 ASPH. I've owned that lens in the past and sold it when I sold my M10. Now that I'm back in the M fold with the M11, I regret having sold that lens. I'm not quite prepared to step up to the cost of re acquiring it (although that may change). Instead I'm seriously considering the 50mm F2 APO Lanthar as my daily carry. 

As far as overall kit is concerned I really like the lineup you have and the logic of alternating slow and fast M primes. I'm headed in the same direction. My current kit includes the 21/3.4 and 35mm/1.4 (thrilled with both) and Voigtlander 75mm F1.5. If I settle on the 50mm F2 Lanthar, I'll end up with a somewhat similar slow / fast alternating kit.

I'm guessing you must be really enjoying the 28mm/1.4. Its a fantastic lens! I often favor shooting at 28mm, but ultimately settled on the 35mm F1.4 because I also own a Q2, so when I want to avoid swapping lens in the field, I carry 2 cameras in a relatively small bag: Q2 + M11 with 75mm or Q2 + M11 with 50mm. 

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 2

The 50mm f/1.1 is at full aperture very sharp (corners exepted) and has no linear distortion whatsoever.

gelatin silver print (nokton 50mm f1.1) leica m5

Erik.

Edited by Erik van Straten
  • Like 5

This is with the Noctilux 50mm f1; never really sharp @ f1, but the images are powerful IMO.

gelatin silver print (noctilux 50mm f1) leica mp

Erik.

• Like 4

I prefer this to any nokton or noctilux.

gelatin silver print (summilux 50mm f1.4 v1) leica m2

Erik.

• Like 5