M10-r and flash

dbeids

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any thoughts on either the SF40 or SF60 with the M10-r? Does the TTL function work well?I only want to use the M with flash in a few limited situations…it isn’t that kind of camera…but occasionally fill flash or a little light is called for. My Nikon flashes don’t work on the M10-r except in manual mode. I’m guessing the SF40 is fine for my purposes (I don’t need advanced remote flash with the Leica, my Nikon handles those situations superbly), even if it’s overpriced. 

is there an alternative to the SF40 that works reliably with Leica TTL?

I'm interested in peoples experience. 

thank you

I tried the 40 on my M10-R BP for a few days. I liked it in general, in terms of overall size, power and TTL functionality. But the Nissan i40 based flash uses four AA batteries, which worsens the weight issue considering my BP is already quite hefty, with Summilux 50mm Black Chrome. 

The other thing I didn’t like about the 40 is that the exposure comp dial is far too easy to turn by mistake.

I can't speak to the M10 cameras, but have used flash with the m8.2, m9, and m240 series bodies.  In my experience Leica TTL (with those bodies) is hit or miss.  If the camera's metering will give a proper exposure, but more light is needed to lower ISO, or use a smaller aperture, then Leica TTL will work fine.  If the metering underexposes due to a bright background or a light source in the frame, Leica TTL will underexpose as well sometimes to the point of refusing to fire the flash.

I have the SF40 and use TTL when in situations where it works and shift to manual when it doesn't. This assumes I am in a situation where I have the time to do this.  When that isn't the case I use a different flash, one that offers the old (from the film days) Auto-Thyristor mode where a sensor on the flash controls the flash output.  This works fine on my Leicas in all situations.  Unfortunately, all my flashes that offer Auto-Thyristor mode have a downside. Some like the Leica SF58 or Nikon SB800 (Nikon flashes work on my Leicas in manual or Auto-Thyristor mode) are big and heavy making handling awkward.  Others like the Leica SF24D or Nikon SB22 don't swivel and tilt (Leica) or tilt only (Nikon).

Perhaps the M10 and M11 will have more reliable TTL performance.

Edited by Luke_Miller