Desert Big Horn Sheep

Henry Taylor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This made my day!  This morning  in the   "Valley  Of Fire NV'  I came across an ewe and I was sure that there had to  be a Ram close by since it's the mating season.

Sure enough I spotted one"

The last shot they were running off together.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Henry Taylor
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Barnack and for  87 I can still keep up  with the younger guys. 💪😷

It wasn't too long ago instead of a camera I used a 270.

Here are two  more to  look  at.

Edited by Henry Taylor
added more pictures
  • Like 4

• Henry Taylor changed the title to Desert Big Horn Sheep

Really good images Henry. I find shooting with a camera more rewarding than using a rifle or bow. I was once a hunter using a rifle (7mm ) then switched to a recurve bow.

Down in Colorado I'd backpack into a desert canyon and camp overnight. Come morning the canyon rim would come alive with Big Horn Sheep. I can fully understand your joy in seeing these animals.

1 hour ago, Idawhat said:

Really good images Henry. I find shooting with a camera more rewarding than using a rifle or bow. I was once a hunter using a rifle (7mm ) then switched to a recurve bow.

Down in Colorado I'd backpack into a desert canyon and camp overnight. Come morning the canyon rim would come alive with Big Horn Sheep. I can fully understand your joy in seeing these animals.

Thanks you  for the nice comment. I too  use to  hunt with a recurve but only tried Upland Game Pheasant hunting using fufu arrows.  My new dog Jake gets spooked when I tried training  under fire.  Oh well,  We love hime just the same.

• Haha 1

It's funny how some dogs are gun-shy. I had a springer that was that way. I enjoy a good recurve bow with wooden arrows.

How close did you get to the sheep you photographed? The images are so good. Looks like they were not alarmed by your being there.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bill, The shots were taken with a 100-600mm Sigma  at 600 mm .  They actually were easy to  get close to  since the herds are living in a protected  Sate Park and are use to  seeing humans. My arrows I used were wooded too.  It wasn't  always easy hitting a Phoesant in flight. The flu flu arrows had a large cluster of feather instead on the normal set. Good thing because if you miss you would never be able to  find your arrow. . The fluflu arrow would only go  about 20-30 yards.  I had a Bear recurve 70 lbs.,  wouldn't think  of using a compound, that's for women  😷 

Edited by Henry Taylor
added comment.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stuny said:

A terrific set.  I had wondered if you used your long Sigma, which I see you did.

Stu to give you a little more perspective this shot was taken at 100mm  as the rest were at 600mm