Leica M9 — your next camera?

setuporg

On 1/25/2022 at 12:58 AM, SrMi said:

I wonder how Cobalt’s M9/CCD profiles fare on M10 and M11.

win some/lose some

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Above equals zero edits to either file...

You'll still need to edit for the fact that the M10 (don't own M11) has more DR so the picture will start off looking duller (fyi both base ISO, well 200 for the M10 and same SS and aperture)

here I raised the shows slightly and added +1/7 exp

I suppose the real question is, how does the Cobalt M9 profile compare to the std adobe color one?

Like that!

The thing with look-a-like presets etc is that sometimes it's a great match, some times it's not.

IMHO it's more about making your current camera look to you as if the pictures could've come from your old camera

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:00 AM, Ray Vonn said:

If I saw any rendering like that in the M11 thread, I'd be interested in getting one.

FYI, M11 red under mixed lighting, Adobe color profile, AWB, no adjustments to color at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daedalus2000 said:

FYI, M11 red under mixed lighting, Adobe color profile, AWB, no adjustments to color at all.

Thanks, appreciated. Might stay with the M9 for the time being.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ray Vonn said:

Thanks, appreciated. Might stay with the M9 for the time being.

And for fun some more red :)

Heavy crop so dont look at sharpness, noise etc

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 3

I had a little play with an m11 in store yesterday, shot some in store nonsense with my M10 and the m11

M11 Red seems a bit more pure (less orange) than the default adobe profile on the m10. 

Re the m9, the overall look of the files can (can) be lovely but I think it's how the files look brigjth and sparkly because of the lower dr of the sensor compared to a more modern camera rather than the colours pet se, OMMV 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Washed up.  M9 with TTArtisan 35/1.4 ASPH.

For merde and mirth 😇 part one!

The same building, shot over a two and bit year period.

Which is the M9?

The answer is.... all of them, and I think all the 35mm summarit too...

Imagine if I didn't have an M9, but I used too and then today I was looking at old photos and trying to get the same colours out of my current camera?

It would be hard...

and IMHO, only the first example (to be fair I don't think the building's been painted since then) is the great M9 look, a lot of the time it looks nice and everything, but nothing vastly different to how the other Leica's have looked. OMMV

• Like 1

I agree with Adam. Colours of m9 can be simulated in post. Stop praising this old camera. It is not worth it. Sell it, add some cash and buy the m11.

i don’t like this thread as it will prevent people from selling and drives price up. Just when i am considering to buy one.

• Haha 7

For merde and mirth 😇 part two!

So what are you looking at here then?

Well the exact same M10 shot (the second is a virtual copy)

One has the M10 adobe standard profile, the other... well with the other, I took the M11 adobe standard profile, cut out the parts downstream from the forward matrices, ditched the LUT and pasted it into the M10 adobe profile 😅

Amazing what a difference the profiles that the RAW apps give us makes with the so called camera colours isn't it?

and FYI, no - 99 times out of 100 it's far to oversaturated to be a valid profile - but fun to try nevertheless

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I agree with Adam. Colours of m9 can be simulated in post. Stop praising this old camera. It is not worth it. Sell it, add some cash and buy the m11.

Like any digital camera, the M9 won't necessarily produce the exact same shade of red/green/etc every singe time, and some times the M9 has a real signature look and the colours and tones are amazing (hence I keep mine), but other times it doesn't really look much different from the M240 or the M10.

• Like 2

@Adam Bonnthanks. THE reason why i am thinking of a m9 is because i own an 8 and mm, so batteries and so on are all similar. 

but then, at the moment i can not make up my mind beween the 9, 10p, 10r, 11 or sl2s. 

main decision driver will be the ability of long exposure (4min and higher) of either a 10/11 vs a gfx50.

I guess I need to wait a bit before i see other people experience with LE.

1 minute ago, setuporg said:

Sorry but no cigar.  None of the fakes are M9 colors!  Or, as our former president used to say, fake news.:)

Without going into any political discussion, what news today isn’t fake and or exaggerated? 
not sure which camera to blame, but nowadays news, or better said, journalism, isn’t anymore what it is used to be….

damn, I am getting old…

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, setuporg said:

Sorry but no cigar.  None of the fakes are M9 colors!  Or, as our former president used to say, fake news.:)

Not sure if you're referring to my posts, but they're all labelled as to what camera was used.

The shot with the same building three times (all with different reds) were all taken with the M9, so not sure what's fake?

As you haven't quoted anyone perhaps you mean that it's physically impossible for any other camera to have the same colours as an M9.

I dunno I haven't shot every camera in world and compared it to the M9, and I doubt you have either.

IMHO, the M9 colours have more to do with limited DR and the nature of colours as they brighten before clipping than it does any specific CIELAB value

FWIW of the Cobalt CCD fever pack, the fuji sPro jpeg one is my fav, I don't find the M9 ones particularly M9y (but they're nice enough)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adam Bonn said:

Not sure if you're referring to my posts, but they're all labelled as to what camera was used.

The shot with the same building three times (all with different reds) were all taken with the M9, so not sure what's fake?

As you haven't quoted anyone perhaps you mean that it's physically impossible for any other camera to have the same colours as an M9.

I dunno I haven't shot every camera in world and compared it to the M9, and I doubt you have either.

IMHO, the M9 colours have more to do with limited DR and the nature of colours as they brighten before clipping than it does any specific CIELAB value

FWIW of the Cobalt CCD fever pack, the fuji sPro jpeg one is my fav, I don't find the M9 ones particularly M9y (but they're nice enough)

I think he just likes to make jokes and to start threads that challenge the M11 progression, but I am sure he will get one at the end. :)

I completely agree with you on all your points. I had an M9 and yes the colors were popping and it felt that (in part at least) it was due to the limited DR. I also did not find the Cobalt CCD M9 profile, very M9 like.

I could not understand how you decomposed the Adobe profiles in your previous message, is there any link that describes the different parts of a profile?

BTW, personally I found the reds and greens from the camera used in the image below to be the best I ever saw (using LR profiles). I wonder if anyone can guess what camera this is.... (sorry for limited depth of field, the light was low)

Edited by Daedalus2000
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, John Robinson said:

The CCD sensor seems to excel (for me) with soft colours, bordering on pastel.  When the sensor wore out, Leica offered a trade-up to SL but I was glad to keep the repaired M9 to pair with my M9M (ended up with an SL anyway, for a different reason).

Summilux-M 50 ASPH.

lovely colours, lovely photo!

I have a similar feeling of pastel colours from the M9, especially with the 28mm Summaron attached. I hardly ever need to pp them, I think because I always purposely underexpose. I just use Iridient Developer to export jpeg or tiff

Edited by ianman
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I guess I need to wait a bit before i see other people experience with LE.

I’ve never done anywhere near 4 mins exposure… I did this 8 second @ ISO 160 exposure with the M9 a couple of months ago. (Toned in Iridient Developer)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

I think he just likes to make jokes and to start threads that challenge the M11 progression, but I am sure he will get one at the end.

Are you available to help me in all areas of my life?  You seem to understand me!:). Yeah am M11 will be tried at some point soon, the question is whether it'll do back or not...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

Are you available to help me in all areas of my life?  You seem to understand me!:). Yeah am M11 will be tried at some point soon, the question is whether it'll do back or not...

I will help you with a little input about my Leica story. My love with Leica started with the output from M8 and later M9. Then, the only other camera that really made me feel that it was special (for me) was the Leica S2. Since then, no other camera felt special, until the M11 came. I connected with it in a similar way as with the M8/M9 and the S2. And that is why I feel you will love it as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2