Leica M9 — your next camera?

setuporg

12 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again in the new M11 sub forum!:)

If you like the vivid M11 colors, you’ll love the M9’s.

There’s no live view so you won’t ever have to agonize about it.  Also savings on an unwieldy EVF.  Plus no need to torture yourself thinking whether to attach the EVF or not, or is it time to detach it yet only to see a good use for it immediately after you put it away.

M9 is light!  If you like the black M11, you’ll feel right with an M9.

M9 has ecologically friendly solar frame lines!  No trees are used to produce electricity that power your frame lines in the M9.

M9 is beautifully simple.  There’s no function buttons that can fail intermittently, because there are none.

M9 uses classic Leica metering that is done with a special sensor missing on the M11.  It allows the shutter to stay closed at all times except the G-d-given moment of exposure.  This way the sensor is protected from dust.

M9 is made of solid German brass.  It keeps the rangefinder housing solidly in alignment despite all the elements can throw at you.

M9 sports a unique shutter sound that reminds you of the film camera, as if it is rewinding after each shot.  Those born without film camera won’t even understand what’s going on, and it will be a conversation starter.  Nobody will want to steal what they’ll see as an antique camera.  You’ll have to wear an Italian hat to ensure they see it that way.

A mint M9 is much harder to get than a mint M11.  If it lasted a decade it will last many more.  

M9 was released on 9/9/9.  M11 was released on 1/13/22.  Consult your Chinese calendar user manual to see which date is more auspicious.

M9 comes in a wonderful chest of drawers box.  M11 comes in a shoebox.

M9 batteries are small and last long.  They are covered by a beautiful baseplate.  You don’t even need to remove the battery to replace an SD card!

There is no faux ISO knob that can fail and get stuck at a random ISO.  The ISO is set via an innovative all at a glance menu!

There is no holes in the bottom of the camera.  It is protected by the legendary Leica baseplate.

M9 files are perfect size for you.  You may drop the pretense of becoming another Ansel Adams printing murals.  Your images are meant to be enjoyed on screens and nobody will know they are not made on an M11.  An SD card will last you forever.

M9 has beautiful color menus and many menu buttons.  The menu system is dramatically simplified compared to M11.  You can adjust exposure very intuitively.

The annoying touch screen has been replaced with a reliable Gorilla-glass screen and all controls were moved to buttons.  You can now operate M9 in winter condition with gloves!  If you carry a Punkt smart dumb phone you’ll understand the progress.

Overall, we hope you find your dream M9 soon!

Well said, Mr. Rockwell!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, setuporg said:

The annoying touch screen has been replaced with a reliable Gorilla-glass screen and all controls were moved to buttons.  You can now operate M9 in winter condition with gloves!  If you carry a Punkt smart dumb phone you’ll understand the progress.

😀😀😀 If I find some time and my aging memory does not prevent me to recall all the quirks of the M9 I’ll make my list of M9 ‘features’ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, NigelG said:

Plus there’s a Monochrom version to match…😉

Yes Nigel and that was the most groundbreaking camera that I ever purchased… up until the M10M.  To me the Monochrom (based on the M9) was a bold statement of Leica.  But the M10M is the ultimate evolution of that same statement. Today we are speaking M11 and expecting M11M.

But like @setuporg probably wanted to demonstrate… it all started  with the M9. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, setuporg said:

Alexy, you have one of the most cool Leica M9 cameras 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another M9 camera is not wanted, we all have short memories as it has a reddish tint and general inferiority to an M8, garish/ awful colours, unsalvageable raws, problems with IR sensitivity, shutter noise, embarrassing EVF, cracked sensors, red edge problems (reds are a mess), buffer/card issues, corrosion problems and if M9 colours are wanted expired slide film should be sought.  It’s only when the M240 was released where Leica finally became good enough; you see, the M9 delivered a incorrect version of reality which was the reason it appealed to some.

There we are, a one paragraph summary above of the many responses posted when I pondered on here whether the new M11 might render more like the M9.  It does seem to hit a raw nerve from some members on this particular site which doesn't seem to be the case on other Leica forums, certainly not to the same extent.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Artin said:

It sure is at 540 grams it’s the perfect paperweight.  I have no Idea what people see in that relic. 

I have never had an M9 i was just going by the OP's post.

I have the M262 which is perfect for me.

16 minutes ago, Ray Vonn said:

Another M9 camera is not wanted, we all have short memories as it has a reddish tint and general inferiority to an M8, garish/ awful colours, unsalvageable raws, problems with IR sensitivity, shutter noise, embarrassing EVF, cracked sensors, red edge problems (reds are a mess), buffer/card issues, corrosion problems and if M9 colours are wanted expired slide film should be sought.  It’s only when the M240 was released where Leica finally became good enough; you see, the M9 delivered a incorrect version of reality which was the reason it appealed to some.

There we are, a one paragraph summary above of the many responses posted when I pondered on here whether the new M11 might render more like the M9.  It does seem to hit a raw nerve from some members on this particular site which doesn't seem to be the case on other Leica forums, certainly not to the same extent.

On the contrary, the M8 and M9 saved Leica from bankruptcy and irrelevance. We are here discussing the M11 thanks to them. Huge leaps forward for Leica, their CCD Kodak sensors still pack a film-like and unmistakable punch. I honestly don’t know what an “incorrect version of reality” means, but the single “correct” antidote sounds awfully impoverishing!

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Ray Vonn said:

Now I covet that inferior EVF, magically working off the CCD that your sources were unhappy about.  Can I take it off their hands perhaps?

Otherwise, only great images and thorough enjoyment in my six months use of the fully refurbished, new sensor M9-P that Thorsten posted above.  (Thank you sir!:)  Since then it got a proper matching Leica red strap!

IMG_8199.HEIC

Edited by setuporg
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, setuporg said:

Haven’t noticed anything negative in my six months use of the fully refurbished M9-P that Thorsten posted above.  (Thank you sir!:)

But now I covet that inferior EVF, magically working off the CCD that your sources were unhappy about.  Can I take it off their hands perhaps?

Yes, I liked that one about the inferior EVF.

• Haha 1

Very good!  Coincidently, I just resurrected my M9 this week (still no sensor corrosion!) and it brings back many good memories.  However, I don't remember the rangefinder alignment being particularly robust!  The later Ms seem to have been better in my experience.  As far as “incorrect version of reality” goes, I still remember Fuji's Velvia! 

Thanks for the reminder of the way things were.

kent

• Thanks 1

I still have mine. More sentimental value than resale, though it does have a replaced sensor. But man it's clunky coming from an M10-R. And that display! May as well have been aa D model all along. But it took some great photographs.With my new in January 2017 M10.  

• Like 5