M11 Folder Numbering

Rob L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I took the first shot with my M11 (with a newly formatted card), the file number was quite high. I reset the file number and still high. After downloading and reading the manual, I learned that (unlike M10s) the first 3 numbers are the Folder Number. and the last 4 are File Numbers. Every time you reset the File Numbers, the Folder Number will reset to the next higher number. My Folder Number started at 106 out of the gate and I reset a few times in the course of figuring this out. Now at 110. The OCD in me want everything at Zero. Short of doing 990 Resets, does anyone know how to reset the Folder #?

30 minutes ago, Rob L said:

When I took the first shot with my M11 (with a newly formatted card), the file number was quite high. I reset the file number and still high. After downloading and reading the manual, I learned that (unlike M10s) the first 3 numbers are the Folder Number. and the last 4 are File Numbers. Every time you reset the File Numbers, the Folder Number will reset to the next higher number. My Folder Number started at 106 out of the gate and I reset a few times in the course of figuring this out. Now at 110. The OCD in me want everything at Zero. Short of doing 990 Resets, does anyone know how to reset the Folder #?

Have you tried renaming the folder with card mounted in the computer? The camera may use that name/number as the base.

Edited by SrMi

When you first put a card in your brand-new M11, was it a factory-fresh, never-used card? Or at least one that had been reset (in the previous camera) to "100" before using it in the new body?

All Leica M digitals will always "pick up" whatever "Leica" image numbering is already on a previously used card.......to prevent any possiblity of duplicate image/file numbers (and therefore accidental overwrites on a computer later, and loss of older images.)

E.G. - SD card that had been used in any Leica camera and has reached image number L1051234, will cause a new camera to jump to L1051235 - even if it is the very first image you make with that new camera.

AFAIK, it has been that way ever since the M8.

And every time I have bought a new digital M since then, if I want to re-use my SD cards, I make sure they are clean, re-formatted - AND reset to a folder numbered 100 - before they get anywhere near the new body. I call it "SD Card Hygiene."

(The M10 is an oddball - the folder number stays at Leica 100 (unless changed manually) no matter how high the image numbers)

I currently run two M10s - and have two card sets each only ever used on one specific camera. One is currently shooting pix 105xxxx, and one is shooting pix 106xxxx. When the camera shooting 105xxxx images "rolls over" from 1059999 to L1060000 - I will immediately increment it manually to L1070000, so that I keep "odd and even" card sets for "odd and even" cameras.

But you should be able to - step by step - "sanitize" your current cards with computer formatting and renaming. Then reset the M11 to L1000000, and then use the sanitized card(s.)

Thanks Adan!

The M11 is different from M10, in that there is a Folder Number - the first 3 digits and a File Number - the next 4 digits. I can't seem to reset the Folder Number. I deleted it in the computer, then formatted in camera and the Folder Number still advanced to the next one. I will try renaming it just for fun. Not a big deal, but I like the M10 setup better. This must be about the in-camera memory.

Final update - I don't know why the 1st exposure had a high Folder Number and a high File Number. The card I used was not new but it was formatted in camera prior to taking that 1st shot. Anyway, after several experimental 1/2 measures, I finally completely wiped the card on my computer with "SD Formatter", reset the internal memory, then reset the camera and started over. Folder number is now at 100  and File Number is at 0001.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Rob L said:

I don't know why the 1st exposure had a high Folder Number and a high File Number. The card I used was not new but it was formatted in camera prior to taking that 1st shot.

Doesn't matter - picking up where the "old numbers" left off is still part of the formatting process (for the same reason - avoidance of duplicate file names). It's why an out-of-camera format and renaming is required.

But really glad your process got you to where you wanted. 👍

It would be nice, but not necessary, that the photographer could reset the folder number manually.   If I made a trip to different locations, it would be handy to start a new folder at the next location.  Not essential, as I do all this manually in the computer when I ingest my image files in PhotoMechanic, which creates a more descriptive folder name, and allows me to add more detail to the file names.