Leica M11- That ugly exposed USB-C Port - let’s talk about it

Łëïčä

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Herr Barnack said:

Hahahaha. Perfect! 

48 minutes ago, Artin said:

There is not much left to bitch about now it the god damn sticker in the bottom of the camera. 

Given the M was birthed in the 50's coincident with theater of the absurd, perhaps all this "sticker shock" is just traditionalists channelling that connection. 

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Artin said:

In all the years I have never heard this much bull crap on this site as I have read this past week. I have no idea what is going on but it sure is getting tiresome 

Indeed. I'm hoping that the next new M will shoot cleanly at ISO 250000 so I can just go out and shoot at night rather than endure all this crap the next time around. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb DesertLeica:

My biggest concern is the exposed USB-C and the elements, a lot of my work is set in the desert and sandy environent. 
I hope the exposed port is not going to be an issue or sand nor moisture for that matter .

Tape it over.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, DesertLeica said:

My biggest concern is the exposed USB-C and the elements, a lot of my work is set in the desert and sandy environent. 
I hope the exposed port is not going to be an issue or sand nor moisture for that matter .

You can buy USB-C plugs to seal any exposed ports.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, evikne said:

I think he was back even one more time after that. ElChupacabra was only here for a couple of hours.

And he was only seen by a couple of people before disappearing, just like the real Mexican one… 🤣

• Haha 2

On 1/22/2022 at 6:32 AM, DesertLeica said:

Blow it out before use and it will be fine.

The port does not open into the internals of the camera. It’s sealed, with the leads connecting to the contact pads of the connector going through sealed, molded plastic. There is no way for the sand to get inside the camera (well, not unless Leica screwed up and forgot to put a seal *around* the connector body).

The only risk comes from sand stuck inside the port, causing damage to contacts when plugging in and rubbing against them. Which can be easily prevented by blowing it out with a rocket blower or even your mouth. Or, just tape it over like someone said.

Just throwing my two cents in that I held off from the M10M and M10R because I was waiting for in-body charging and USB-C photo transfers. I don't know if the implementation of the USB-C port being exposed so openly is my favorite, but it's a small price to pay for the convenience of a camera that doesn't require several extra accessories that the rest of my kit haven't needed for years. It's so much more convenient for my workflow if I can just plug in the camera wherever I am and get the battery topped off. I'm especially happy that the in-body charging is combined with an all-day+ battery.