Leica M11- That ugly exposed USB-C Port - let’s talk about it

Łëïčä

40 minutes ago, Łëïčä said:

We pay $10,000 for a body. 

we want perfection. I don’t want to “eh. I’ll get used to it” or “who cares about the shutter sound”. For that I can just get a Sony for half the price. 

Ah - there's the problem. 

We have 86,057 members here, therefore 86,057 definitions of  what constitutes perfection.

But seriously:  That CE placard:  Big turd in the punch bowl. 🤮

Edited by Herr Barnack

They all sound like Lica took their money first the did not deliver what the asked for. How dare you not give me a perfect camera now I can’t enjoy taking picture of my lazy Cat because I have to look at the ugly USB-c port  Honey where is that therapist number I need some attention. 

The newer iso dial was never great to begin with. Leicians just accepted it...

One of the worst decision ever imo

Its not even easy to use ..U have to dig it out. Why not have a push button pop up. Angle it like the M6 so it's easier to change on the go.

2 minutes ago, cboy said:

The newer iso dial was never great to begin with. Leicians just accepted it...

One of the worst decision ever imo

Its not even easy to use ..U have to dig it out. Why not have a push button pop up. Angle it like the M6 so it's easier to change on the go.

Understood but it’s there and I adapt to use it not the end of the world, but bitching about tiny small USB port in the bottom of the camera... really? 

13 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Ah - there's the problem. 

We have 86,057 members here, therefore 86,057 definitions of  what constitutes perfection.

But seriously:  That CE placard:  Big turd in the punch bowl. 🤮

Yes. That CE thing is the worst. I don’t know what they were thinking. 

I agree that we can’t all agree on what perfect is. But I think we all want Leica to be the quintessential rangefinder camera. In the words of Leica, the Leica M is the “archetype of the camera”. It should be simple, sleek, clean, uncomplicated, and made of brass. I think we all like the basics. Sure it can be updated, and of course it has to be as so many pros now use the SL. 

a rangefinder is really a niche. But some SL people want it as part of their kit. Okay. Let’s make it more in the line of our mirrorless cameras. But, keep it quintessential Leica M. That bottom for me is tragic. It’s the biggest eyesore for me. 

I also absolutely detest the change of the button to be next to the shutter button. I had that with Fuji and I never used it because it’s so awkward to reach. I was so happy that my Leica had it right next to my middle finger. So natural. 

then to add insult to injury they bring out the one everyone wants, the black one, in aluminum. So now it’s aluminum and the battery portion is some sort of plastic then?

i want a solid piece of brass. Top and bottom. Part of the experience of shooting my Leica is the feel, and nothing feels better than my 10R Black Paint. The feel of the paint right on top of the brass with the bottom being so smooth and sleek. There’s nothing like it. 

the new bottom and materials just ruin it for me. 

im sure there’s going to be some sort of limited edition though in brass. 

My question is why didn't they make the rest of the body IPX certified (apart from the lens mount) than just the usb port . Lol

Make it more rugged not just 'look' rugged in the reporter

- durablack paint finish, not scratchable

- X no.  weather sealing points ( like the fp is weather sealed; it has an open mount)

- shockproof like a gshock

Gone are a days when you can crack open a walnut with a film M or use it as weapon against a assailant.

Edited by cboy

1 minute ago, cboy said:

My question is why didn't they make the rest of the body IPX certified than just the usb port (apart from the lens mount). Lol

Make it more rugged not just 'look' rugged in the reporter

- durablack paint finish, not scratchable

- X no.  weather sealing points ( like the fp is weather sealed; it has an open mount)

- shockproof like a gshock

Gone are a days when you can crack open a walnut with an M or use it as weapon against a assailant.

The weather sealing is as strong as the weakest part. The weakest part is typically the lens mount.

1 minute ago, SrMi said:

The weather sealing is as strong as the weakest part. The weakest part is typically the lens mount.

That didn't stop Sigma making a 42 point weather sealed camera in the fp/L

Look members here are passionate about the M. It's just feels like the M can be/ could of been more. Especially when it's at a luxury category...

3 minutes ago, cboy said:

That didn't stop Sigma making a 42 point weather sealed camera in the fp/L

Look members here are passionate about the M. It's just feels like the M can be/ could of been more. Especially when it's at a luxury category...

Luxury products do not get into rain :). I see M cameras as professional tools, that happen to be bought mainly by amateurs who unnecessarily pamper their cameras. Take the camera into the snow and rain. It will do just fine.

14 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Luxury products do not get into rain :). I see M cameras as professional tools, that happen to be bought mainly by amateurs who unnecessarily pamper their cameras. Take the camera into the snow and rain. It will do just fine.

It'll be fine for a while. But put through pervasive weather then one will find the bodies' inside has gone to hell...

He's a crackpot but he knows about cameras lol

Edited by cboy

Some Leica users would leave the plastic on their baseplates and say it didn't matter to them how that looked.  I hope none of those people are the ones who are now complaining about how the bottom of the M11 looks.  Personally I love the new design. I'll remove that sticker -although I think it's intended a bit isn't it?  Also, I love the rewind knob.  Having never used a film Leica, the design seems absolutely perfect in every way.  I use it very frequently when I shoot.

2 hours ago, Artin said:

sorry does not bother me at all, I find the new bottom perfectly fine. USB-c port is fine where it is and good riddance to the stupid bottom plate.

I wish they would do away with the stupid ISO dial posing as a rewind. Knob 

You are so so right on all of the above. You need fingernails like Fu Manchu to lift that bloody ISO stump. 

Edited by tashley