Leica M11- That ugly exposed USB-C Port - let’s talk about it

Łëïčä

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First blasphemous decision being making it aluminum of course. Something nobody really likes or asked for, and anyone who says they don’t mind are lying to themselves.. let’s be honest. 

but the second most egregious decision was to take a classic Leica M and put an exposed USB-C port on the camera. 

I don’t know about you but, I carry my camera like this all the time. I can see the bottom all the time, and the last thing I want to see when I look down is an exposed USB-C port and a switch for a battery. 

I love the simple, classic, sleek design of the removable plate. It worked and it looked great. The last thing I want to see when I look down at my Leica is a USB-C port. 

can’t wait for the limited edition M11P Black Paint, Brass, No USB-C port edition. Watch everyone dump their M11’s for that one. 

every camera should come with instructions that says on page 1 “YOUR CAMERA IS NOT A CHARGER”.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SrMi said:

The power pack ACA-SCL7 likely connects through the bottom USB-C. 
While I prefer to charge externally, and M11's charger is tiny and light, it is good to have a backup with in-camera charging.

I leave a dual charger inside the bag (or single to save space) and plug that in to a power bank. You can charge a battery inside your bag and keep shooting. Rapid charge. When the one you’re using is empty the other one is full in the bag, and so on.

No need to have wires going into my Leica M. it will ruin the whole experience of shooting a simple M rangefinder. 

7 minutes ago, Artin said:

rewind. Knob 

I see what you did there. Let’s keep this civil 😅

they went from something so simple, sleek, classic, and beautiful to this ugly thing 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Łëïčä
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I don't get people making a fuss over nothing!

Just don't buy it and you don't have to look at it

On all of the internet, no forum has ever seen as much wailing, bitching, griping, pissing & moaning, grumbling, snottiness, complaining, sniping, sarcasm and malcontent as this forum has seen directed at the M11. 

There are obviously a significant number of people in this world who are not happy unless they are unhappy - and unhappy about imaginary wrongs done to them by the design team @Leica. 

Jeezuz, people - grow up.  🙄

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Artin said:

Exactly,, thank you. I personally think the ISO dial is useless, but it does not bother me at all. I liked the function button in the front of the camera, they moved it oh well just get used to it .. the sound of a shutter?  I could not give a rats buttox what it sounds like. 

We pay $10,000 for a body. 

we want perfection. I don’t want to “eh. I’ll get used to it” or “who cares about the shutter sound”. For that I can just get a Sony for half the price. 

1 minute ago, Herr Barnack said:

On all of the internet, no forum has ever seen as much wailing, bitching, griping, pissing & moaning, grumbling, snottiness, complaining, sniping, sarcasm and malcontent as this forum has seen directed at the M11.  There are obviously a significant number of people in this world who are not happy unless they are unhappy - and unhappy about imaginary wrongs done to them by the design team @Leica. 

Jeezuz, people - grow up.  🙄

Again. If we were happy with just anything we would just get a Fuji. 

2 minutes ago, Artin said:

I don’t understand why Leica has to be confined into a 70 year old camera design. I understand keeping the form and factor, totally sold with the rangefinder focusing.. fully committed to manual focus.. but an ISO dial to look like a silly rewind knob.. when a button was perfectly fine. A base plate to look like a film camera, a film advance lever to look like a film camera.. really 

I will wholeheartedly agree about the fake rewind lever on the M10-D.  I thought it was silly, but some people liked it.

As for the ISO dial, I like being able to change ISOs without having to scroll through the menus (until you need a an ISO higher than 12,500 at least).

3 minutes ago, Artin said:

people grow up and stop complaining.

7 minutes ago, Artin said:

an ISO dial to look like a silly rewind knob.. when a button was perfectly fine. A base plate to look like a film camera, a film advance lever to look like a film camera.. really 

6 minutes ago, Artin said:

Maybe they should make the batteries to look like film canisters and paint them green and yellow 

🤣🤣

Man. People should just grow up and stop complaining. 

40 minutes ago, Łëïčä said:

We pay $10,000 for a body. 

we want perfection. I don’t want to “eh. I’ll get used to it” or “who cares about the shutter sound”. For that I can just get a Sony for half the price. 

Ah - there's the problem. 

We have 86,057 members here, therefore 86,057 definitions of  what constitutes perfection.

But seriously:  That CE placard:  Big turd in the punch bowl. 🤮

Edited by Herr Barnack

The newer iso dial was never great to begin with. Leicians just accepted it...

One of the worst decision ever imo

Its not even easy to use ..U have to dig it out. Why not have a push button pop up. Angle it like the M6 so it's easier to change on the go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Ah - there's the problem. 

We have 86,057 members here, therefore 86,057 definitions of  what constitutes perfection.

But seriously:  That CE placard:  Big turd in the punch bowl. 🤮

Yes. That CE thing is the worst. I don’t know what they were thinking. 

I agree that we can’t all agree on what perfect is. But I think we all want Leica to be the quintessential rangefinder camera. In the words of Leica, the Leica M is the “archetype of the camera”. It should be simple, sleek, clean, uncomplicated, and made of brass. I think we all like the basics. Sure it can be updated, and of course it has to be as so many pros now use the SL. 

a rangefinder is really a niche. But some SL people want it as part of their kit. Okay. Let’s make it more in the line of our mirrorless cameras. But, keep it quintessential Leica M. That bottom for me is tragic. It’s the biggest eyesore for me. 

I also absolutely detest the change of the button to be next to the shutter button. I had that with Fuji and I never used it because it’s so awkward to reach. I was so happy that my Leica had it right next to my middle finger. So natural. 

then to add insult to injury they bring out the one everyone wants, the black one, in aluminum. So now it’s aluminum and the battery portion is some sort of plastic then?

i want a solid piece of brass. Top and bottom. Part of the experience of shooting my Leica is the feel, and nothing feels better than my 10R Black Paint. The feel of the paint right on top of the brass with the bottom being so smooth and sleek. There’s nothing like it. 

the new bottom and materials just ruin it for me. 

im sure there’s going to be some sort of limited edition though in brass.