M11 and older glass

Artin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/1/2022 at 10:37 PM, Topos said:

could I mount my 1960s M2 SUMMICRONS ... 35mm, 50mm DR, 90MM, 90mm 2.8 TelyElmarit

Not sure what 35mm and 90mm lenses you intend to use exactly but aside from the DR 50/2 i have  no experience with, all my 35mm, 50mm and 90mm M lenses from the sixties to nowadays work normally on the M11. Only problem some earlier lenses cannot be 6-bit coded but they are normally listed in the lens profile menu of the camera. If not you may wish to choose a similar lens in such list but you know this already if you have a digital CL.

Posted (edited)

I have a Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 (fat). Fits fine. 
Summicron-m 5cm Collapsible. Fits fine. Collapsed or not. 
Summaron-m 35/3.5 which fits fine.

The only one of these that is a great performer is the Summicron-m 5cm Collapsible. The Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 was especially disappointing with edges that just never really sharpen up. Harsh focus transition zones off centre and unimpressive background OOF rendering for medium to far focus distances. It doesn't make a good landscape lens. It was fairly unimpressive on the 24MP Nikon Z6II and even less so on the M11. 

Summicron-m 50mm DR fits fine, which has been established in a previous thread too.

Summicron-m 5cm Collapsible

Edited by hmzimelka

On 6/2/2022 at 3:59 AM, rcusick said:

This is a pretty challenging scene.  Lots of micro contrast.  My 35mm summicron v4 resolves about a stop better on the m11 than m10r.  Sharpness is a bit better as well  Still doesn't resolve as good as a 34mm apsh but not bad....  

Out of curiosity, how do you measure resolution of a lens in stops?

First outing with my new M11 today and saw this thread. Posting an example captured with a 35/2 Summicron v.2. Great colors out of camera. This image is straightened and cropped but the original file is sharp to all edges and corners with no light fall-off in corners. All other initial shots with the lens are similarly impressive. I am very happy with the dynamic range throughout all images I captured.. I've shot with this lens on film for years and I believe the color rendition I am used to from the lens exists through all the shots from the M11.

This shot at 400ISO, 1/500, f8.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, Łëïčä said:

Honestly I don’t know who needs more than 40MP. If I used vintage glass I wouldn’t go any further than a 24MP M10. 

Honestly, I don't know who needs a Leica.  If I had one I wouldn't take any photos with it.  In fact, nobody needs a camera at all.  I wouldn't go any further than drawing stick figures in the sand.