Workflow on an iPad Pro

Knipsknecht

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A quick question to the M11 owners: Is there someone who uses an iPad Pro for importing the photos from the camera into the iOS fotos App and for image editing? If so I am interested in your experience concerning working with the 60MP files of the M11. Is it okay or even fast to open and edit the files, or is it more on the slow side? Thanks😉

importing is still slow in compare to computer.
Use the Fotos app to import, then use the editing software you prefer .

I have tried Lightroom, import a large amount of images and it fails so many times. it is ok for single images.

they is Pixelmator or google's snapseed, affinity photo

I doesn't replace a computer for me.. on my shoot I easily have to edit 1000 images. this is impractical on iPad 

1 hour ago, Knipsknecht said:

A quick question to the M11 owners: Is there someone who uses an iPad Pro for importing the photos from the camera into the iOS fotos App and for image editing? If so I am interested in your experience concerning working with the 60MP files of the M11. Is it okay or even fast to open and edit the files, or is it more on the slow side? Thanks😉

Not a M11 user, but I used a 2018 12.9" iPad pro with SL2 files and it was fine. I used a SD card reader to import the files and Lightroom for editing and I didn't notice any slowdown. Quite the opposite, I found Lightroom for iPad to be blazing fast compared to Lightroom CC on desktop 

If there are issues with LrC on Mac, one could use Android Transfer to "mount" the card and copy the folder to the local disk before importing it to LrC.

Edited by SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, jrp said:

I use an iPad Pro for SL2 pictures.  The M11's DNGs are compressed and so, presumably small.  I find import speeds to be fine with the Apple SD card read dongle (using fast SD cards).

How many images do you import ?

The workflow that works best at the moment:

Do not use USB or WiFi to Fotos: both give approx one 60mp file every thirty seconds download. This feature is not match ready and should be ignored for now other than in an emergency. Instead, use a card reader and import directly into LR on the iPad.

The Adobe Color profile seems generally better than the M11 Profile.

Lens distortion corrections don't work for now.

Just buy the multi adapter with USB-C, USB-3.1, and HDMI. Now you can use any card reader you have and they’ll import very quickly. Nobody in their right mind would ever use the Fotos app for anything really. 

2 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Use the Fotos app to import,

1 hour ago, jrp said:

Dozens at a time.  It takes a few secs / pic (not 30s).

just my point.. try attaching a card reader and importing few hundred photos.. it will do some and stop for no reason, never import the rest but still sit there importing and failing every single time...

iPad need improvement .

Yesterday I imported M-DNGs from the internal memory to the iPad Pro with a usb-c to usb-c cable (the regular one that comes with the iPad Pro) and WOW it was so slow to transfer that I decided to stop doing it that way and will revert to getting an SD card and then simply transfer from the SD to the iPad with an SD Card reader…this is really unfortunate as I was hoping to be able to do everything from the camera with a single cable, without need to use SD cards or an extra accessory…but transferring 170 DNGs took at least 10min or more.

24 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Yesterday I imported M-DNGs from the internal memory to the iPad Pro with a usb-c to usb-c cable (the regular one that comes with the iPad Pro) and WOW it was so slow to transfer that I decided to stop doing it that way and will revert to getting an SD card and then simply transfer from the SD to the iPad with an SD Card reader…this is really unfortunate as I was hoping to be able to do everything from the camera with a single cable, without need to use SD cards or an extra accessory…but transferring 170 DNGs took at least 10min or more.

Yea man. Nothing beats taking the SD card out and just using a fast card reader and plug that into the iPad. 

6 hours ago, Photoworks said:

just my point.. try attaching a card reader and importing few hundred photos.. it will do some and stop for no reason, never import the rest but still sit there importing and failing every single time...

iPad need improvement .

Works perfectly fine for me, even when importing 500+ pictures. Maybe there’s a problem with your card reader? I had one that was faulty.

Hello folks,

thanks a lot for your quick answers🤩! I am just a hobbyist using a M10 and a M9(P) and my preferred workflow is using a SD-card reader for importing the files from the card to iOS fotos, which is of course far from perfect but okay for me as I don’t like to fiddle with too many different Apps. And although I have tried different editors for the iPad I always come back to Snapseed because it’s so intuitive and fast (and for my pics good enough).

I don’t think that I am in the market for buying a new M11 right now, but maybe in one or two years when the used market prices go down I will probably reevaluate the upgrade from the M10. If so I would be very happy to keep my workflow and not having to switch to a heavily armed new MacBook Pro or something similar just to be able to edit my pics in a reasonable time.

So thanks a lot for your input😉👍!

Everyone using a USB-C cable for anything should be aware of the many varieties of cables. It's very confusing, but you need to make sure that your cable supports the data throughput you want and the voltage you want, if you're charging with it. One poster above discovered they were using the wrong cable. 

https://tidbits.com/2021/12/03/usbefuddled-untangling-the-rats-nest-of-usb-c-standards-and-cables/ 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 8:54 PM, Photoworks said:

importing is still slow in compare to computer.
Use the Fotos app to import, then use the editing software you prefer .

I have tried Lightroom, import a large amount of images and it fails so many times. it is ok for single images.

they is Pixelmator or google's snapseed, affinity photo

I doesn't replace a computer for me.. on my shoot I easily have to edit 1000 images. this is impractical on iPad 

RAW Power is a good app too for IOS. (Raw Power)

Edited by idusidusi
Added URL to website of developer not connected in any way to me.

At first I transferred using the regular USB-C charging cable..and OH MY it was so slow..then with the help of some members in this forum who pointed me in the right direction, I bought a proper USB-C cable 3.1 that works like a breeze. I simply connect the cable to the camera, which means I never ever have to take the SD card out (I could even shoot without any SD card and just use the internal storage of the camera for that matter). Transferring files is normal, not slow, not fast..it does the job. Not sure how it compares to a laptop though because I have not used it to edit pictures. 

After transferring, I need to 1) change color to ‘adobe color’ and 2) turn ‘lens corrections’ off. I tried creating an import profile as the default with these settings..but somehow it does not work, so that’s the annoying part of the process (it’s a LR problem though not a Leica one). 

During editing I don’t feel any issues. Once edits are done, I export using 80% quality so that the jpgs are not overly big, and that’s it. It exports also at a good speed, not slow, not fast, it’s ok. 

By the way, I’m using the IPad Pro first generation.