M10-R noisy preview photos

stardust123

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

would like to ask if anyone have the same “problem”. When i am looking at the photographs on m10-r, photographs are having much much more noise(especially at higher ISO) , than they do have later on the computer. I didnt find any new firmware... it is something that i can set in the menu, or what is the thing? It’s a little bit annoying.. 

thanks! :)

You can't judge the image noise based on the LCD preview, very different to how the RAW will appear in Lightroom / C1. You're dealing with a low quality image preview and a low res LCD screen on-camera.

This is the same on all cameras, it's not specifically a Leica thing. Once you've downloaded enough images at different ISO levels you'll get a feel for what you'll be happy with and likely won't give it another thought.  

• Like 1

Put the screen off. No, seriously; the M10R is my first digital M where I hardly need to check the shot. It’s also my first digital M where I do not need to underexpose, or must be aware of this possible necessity. And this is also it’s big step forward compared to the M10: highlights have much more detail and if not, they are better repairable. Since the M8 the most filmish M in that respect (I don’t know about the M11 here yet). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, otto.f said:

Put the screen off. No, seriously; the M10R is my first digital M where I hardly need to check the shot. It’s also my first digital M where I do not need to underexpose, or must be aware of this possible necessity. And this is also it’s big step forward compared to the M10: highlights have much more detail and if not, they are better repairable. Since the M8 the most filmish M in that respect (I don’t know about the M11 here yet). 

I heard this a lot of times with M10 cameras, that people keep their screens off, but I'm wondering, how do you know your exposure is right in the run and gun situations, without having to think too much about settings, using the light meter and everything else you would normally do with film cameras. For me is much more easier to check the exposure on the screen, and then I can turn it off, but as soon as the light situation changes, which can be the next shot, if I'm on the street, the previous settings won't apply, so I'd prefer to check the screen again.

I usually compose my shots through the viewfinder, but I still like to check the screen for the exposure. And no, I don't like Visoflex.

Others?

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/23/2022 at 6:33 AM, hirohhhh said:

I heard this a lot of times with M10 cameras, that people keep their screens off, but I'm wondering, how do you know your exposure is right in the run and gun situations, without having to think too much about settings, using the light meter and everything else you would normally do with film cameras. For me is much more easier to check the exposure on the screen, and then I can turn it off, but as soon as the light situation changes, which can be the next shot, if I'm on the street, the previous settings won't apply, so I'd prefer to check the screen again.

I usually compose my shots through the viewfinder, but I still like to check the screen for the exposure. And no, I don't like Visoflex.

Others?

Once you've exposed for the brightest areas in your location you don't need to worry about blowing them out and you know that until the light changes significantly, that's your baseline exposure. Then you just need to make the adjustment (aperture, shutter, or ISO) for the shaded areas if that's where your subject is. Digital cameras are pretty good at bringing back shadow detail (more-so than blown highlights) so I would try it and see how you go. I usually only have two settings that I flip between on the street - sun and shade. Post processing will cover any in-betweens. 

I much prefer my out of camera results when I shoot this way.  If you compose first, and then meter, you're working backwards somewhat. But if you're aware of where your 'best light' in the scene is, and you've already metered for that light, you're making a creative decision whether to wait until your subject moves into that good light, or to expose for your subject wherever it may be. There's no wrong answer there - but you're in full control either way if you meter the location first, then compose your shots. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Alberti said:

My M10-R is not half as noisy as the M240 review.

What I like less tho is that the preview is colder than the files are after imported. I leads me misjudge the effect.

Yes I like that very much, it shows me what is possible in pp and what is sort of more coming from the lens and thus more than just a WB issue