Summicron-SL 50 vs Sigma DG 65/2... any direct comperison?

iczek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello
I would like to ask if any of you have done a direct test and comparison of the Summicron-SL 50/2 and Sigma DG DN 65/2 with the Leica SL2 (s)? I know this is a bit of a strange comparison (not the same focal length, but I wonder if there is such a direct combination of both lenses somewhere on the Internet?

I am very curious how big the difference is in the picture, especially in blurring, sharpness and the way of separating first and second plan for these lenses. Especially, that they are so different at a price level :) 

Hey iczek!

I own the Sigma 65 and the Leica 24-90 and did a quick Studio comparission a few week ago.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApcdcIWzABFlg4RlIGDFMMsw27j3Ew

The fotos are not retouched. Only developed in Capture One.

In my opinion the pics are very simmelar. The Sigma is sharper. The Leica has a little frontfocus.

Edited by theseus79

2 hours ago, theseus79 said:

Hey iczek!

I own the Sigma 65 and the Leica 24-90 and did a quick Studio comparission a few week ago.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApcdcIWzABFlg4RlIGDFMMsw27j3Ew

The fotos are not retouched. Only developed in Capture One.

In my opinion the pics are very simmelar. The Sigma is sharper. The Leica has a little frontfocus.

Great!

And thank you very much! And yes, the Sigma looks sharper at f:8 that you use. Good to know before go shopping :)

I use the Sigma 35f2 and 65f2 (and will get the 20f2 as soon as it is released) on my S1H (S1R to come) and they are excellent. Incredible value for the money. Optically and mechanically very convincing, quick and reliable AF. Relatively lightweight and small.

1 hour ago, chrismuc said:

Btw., basically all such shots require waist level of camera, that’s one main reason for me to use the Panasonics.

You refer to flip screen that is not present in Leica SL ? :) You are right but... I admit that after using a lot of Canon and Fuji cameras I found out that the flip screen was used by me very occasionally. So, now with SL2S, there is no problem for me. Of course, everything depends on the shooting style. I do mostly portrait and landscape so flip screen is useful only for some seascape shoots. But, yes in general, flip screen could be one of improvement of Leica SL3 :)

1 hour ago, chrismuc said:

I use the Sigma 35f2 and 65f2 (and will get the 20f2 as soon as it is released) on my S1H (S1R to come) and they are excellent. Incredible value for the money. Optically and mechanically very convincing, quick and reliable AF. Relatively lightweight and small.

I used to have 35/2 and it was great lens. Now I wonder about 24/2 or 24/3.5 as I need more wide for landscape.

3 hours ago, iczek said:

I used to have 35/2 and it was great lens. Now I wonder about 24/2 or 24/3.5 as I need more wide for landscape.

In addition to the SL 24-70 and the M Summarit 75, I have the Sigma 24mm f3.5 and the 45mm f2.8. I love them both - and may yet add the 35mm f2. The versatility of the 24 in allowing me to shoot very close and use perspective is just great. This old boat was taken with the 24 from a low angle (notwithstanding my old dodgy back & terrible knees) with my SL2-S, so no flip out screen. It can still be done! 😂. I would never disrespect the Leica SL APO Summicrons but the Sigmas give me absolutely everything I need. And they are lovely to use, too. Very tactile.  Edited by Chris Nebard