What is your camera bag for the sl ?

Torpille

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

I am interested in how you are packing it with the SL2s. There is a YouTuber who has configured the backpack vertically and packs in a Sony with a lens attached. I'm not sure that is a good idea as it could put a lot of pressure on the mount.Seems as if you need to pack it without any of the SL lenses attached. 

I have always one lens attached. 
you can attach the smallest if you think it’s to much stress for the mount. But I work since many years with backpacks and never had any problem. 
You can’t through the backpack 🎒, but who does this? 
there is also the option of stabilising the lens with some soft material. 

21 minutes ago, Pelu2010 said:

I have always one lens attached. 
you can attach the smallest if you think it’s to much stress for the mount. But I work since many years with backpacks and never had any problem. 
You can’t through the backpack 🎒, but who does this? 
there is also the option of stabilising the lens with some soft material. 

I rarely use a backpack, almost always messenger style, but when I do, the PeakDesign 20L pack has become my go-to for all my camera kits. No need to look like a Mountain Man when not traversing a mountain 😀and the PeakDesign's urban styling can fit into just about any venue mountain or museum. When long distance traveling/tours, I also like to carry the the all black PeakDesign 20L with the side handles in some situations where I do not want to leave my gear in the hotel safe as it can pass for a regular bag particularly with some restaurants that might not be too happy to see a backpacker. 

Edited by LBJ2

On 1/20/2023 at 3:10 PM, Malabito said:

Here is a pict with the sl and m inside.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for sharing this photo.  Ok now I can imagine how to use one when I get the SL.  This 35 Prime is smaller than the 24-70 right? 

I have 3 bags that I use, depending on the situation:

1-Billingham One. Best for urban and travel or when only walking a short distance at a time. Quickest access to everything, but can get tiring to have all the weight on one shoulder (even with the fantastic leather shoulder pad)

2-Peak 20L backpack. As others have noticed, very well sorted out and doesn't look like a mountain backpack so also very good for urban and travel. Great for short to medium walking/hiking, but can be uncomfortable on longer hikes (almost all weight on shoulders). Not as easy to access as the shoulder bag, but gives lots of flexibility on where you place things, so can be relatively quick to access without completely removing. 

3-Osprey 18L hiking backpack, with small Shimoda insert. Ok, this one just came together; I've always liked Osprey backpacks for longer hikes and this size was ideal, and it is a proper hiking backpack with frame and good hip supports. Has hydration pouch, and big enough to have a full extra layer of clothing and some snacks. But, it is not a camera backpack, and I had not found an insert the right size... until just now. Shimoda seems relatively new and has an interesting line of "adventure camera backpacks". But, I was not in the mood to spend ~$400 to get yet another backpack; so the solution was to get the small Shimoda insert (~$70). This can fit the SL2 body and 2-3 lenses plus room for some snacks with an outside pouch for a light jacket, all in 18L (most camera backpacks are 25-40L now). Also has great attachments for a small to medium tripod. This is by far the best solution for longer walks or hikes, but is also by far the slowest to access your gear (remove backpack, find rock to lay on, unzip main compartment, remove camera insert then remove the camera and lens you want). 

So, that's how I ended up with 3 different bags! For what I do, I just do not want to limit myself to any single "do it all bag". Each of the 3 I've mentioned above is far better than the others for the specific scenarios. But, I have placed them in the order that they get used most... IOW, Billingham gets most used, then Peak, and then Osprey with insert. So, if you had to force me to choose only one, I'd likely keep the Billingham. But, I'd grumble if I had to walk or hike any distance with it ;) 

Oh, and likely similar to others, I have a half a closet full of failed experiments, including other shoulder bags, hip/belt bags, sling bags, etc. The above 3 are the best... well so far, LOL 

Brad

Edited by kobra
  • Like 1

Thanks guys - you suckered me into buying another bag! The Hadley digital. 

Now I have 4 Billinghams. 

The Hadley pro from my analog SLR days, which I hardly ever use, the 35 Rucksack (SL2 + Two lenses), the Hadley Small (M system), and now the Digital for camera and lens only. 

I knew I should never have opened this thread. I am looking at the Billingham web site and I think I could use them all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Think Tank Urban Access 10

Swings around from left or right shoulder to provide access on the move

Here it is carrying SL2 with Sigma 85/1.4 and an SL 24-70

I sometimes pop the Q2 in instead of a second lens 

There's a pocket for a 10inch iPad and also a few others for batteries etc

Largest combo I've carried is the SL 24-70 and Lumix 70-300 but its usually prime and zoom or just 1 lens and lunch 😃

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 9 months later...

My pick is the  Oberwerth Hydroline bag...

The SL Medium is simply stunning. Its soft and smooth leather feel, the solid hardware and flawless craftsmanship aside. This is the most functional camera bag I've owned, for me. 

It comfortably fits my SL2 with 24-90 SL attached plus the  50 SL-Summilux. In addition, it can carry my 35mm APO. That's 3 sizeable lenses, plus a camera. Add cards, batteries, a couple of filters, plus a small led panel without bulging or being overfilled and inconvenient to access. 

Its form factor is in between a small satchel-type bag and a full briefcase messenger. It's the Goldilocks size, never big and bulky but never too cramped or feeling like I have to sacrifice gear. It is soft to the touch yet has a rigidity I've found lacking in similar-size bags. Not here, longer lenses don't bend the open mouth of the bag and threaten to tip out. This improves balance, place it down on its metal feet and it never tips over no matter how I pack it. As it's made for the SL gear everything fits comfortably but snugly enough to not wobble around.

Outside it's all black apart from some subtle red stitching on the strap making it understated yet refined. It doesn't scream "Expensive camera equipment in here" to the uninitiated. The interior red is welcome compared to my black interior wandrd prvke 31, I can find that dislodged lens cap easier in this deeper bag. (Side note the Wandrd is great for hikes or other situations where you really need a bit more gear)

It is the perfect camera bag for me. I often won't load it up as much as I could. I rarely need 3 lenses. Your mileage may vary given your equipment. However, if you're like me, you will love this bag.

• Like 5