Orange Filter Exposure Compensation

rpsawin

The metering is done through the lens, so I would have thought compensation was unnecessary.

I have never compensated for an ND filter on my M240 - it's kind of the point really. Same with any coloured filter when I used an M7 and MP

Hi,

this is a combination I regularly use and I do not compensate, as Andy says the camera measures the exposure exposure after the light has passed through the filter.

(a plus of the M10M is a small exposure mistake is easily fixed in post)

The orange filter is an excellent addition to an M9M (I don't have the M10 version).  It takes about two stops out of the light coming through the lens.  With TTL metering there is no need for compensation but it is useful to know the effect of the two stops e.g. meaning longer shutter speeds, wider apertures or higher ISOs compared with no filter.  The benefits for the image on the M9M more than compensate for these differences.

Shooting film on an un-metered camera (like an M3 or M2) is a different story.  The easiest approach is to set the hand-held lightmeter two stops down (e.g. ISO 400 film metered at ISO 100).

I just add that in 90%- 95% of time, no need to compensate with orange filter.

The 10% is when the orange hues in the subject is dominant and can lead to over-expose/under-expose or unbalance the tones of other hues.

Needing to bracket or think how the final image would be.

With LV/EVF we can see the final tones.

We can learn that with experiences, pleasing journey anyway 🙂.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sergiomarried said:

Fully agree with all previous comments with my experience on M10M. By the way, do you all also see no need/value added during outdoor night context when using orange filter? I tend to move back to yellow or none at those times…

Colour filter has no effect other than robbing you of speed for night shooting, even little effect when sun is blocked by thick cloud or fog.

53 minutes ago, sergiomarried said:

Exactly, that’s been my conclusion as well

Colour filter with either Mono sensor or B&W panchromatic film work best in good daylight with full colour spectrum.  Filter is passing through same or similar colour and blocking opposite on the colour wheel - typical example, imagine scene with red rooftops and blue sky, orange or red filter would make roof lighter and darken blue skies, remove the filter and grey gradation difference between roof and sky would be reduced.