M10-R with non Leica lenses

Seymar

On 1/20/2022 at 11:35 PM, Seymar said:

When using non Leica lenses on M cameras, should the closest Leica lens be selected, or should lens selection option be turned off?

Thanks

Depends on the lens really. But if you use LR then you can keep this off and apply the corrections in post. (I’m assuming you shoot RAW). 

I use the VL 28f2 and the Zeiss 50f2 and I use the Leica Summicron profiles. They work great and correct the vignette. 

The 28f2 VL is almost the same as the summicron, and the same goes for the Zeiss it is the same optical design. 

On 1/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, Seymar said:

When using non Leica lenses on M cameras, should the closest Leica lens be selected, or should lens selection option be turned off?

Thanks

Neither. The lens that gives the best result should be selected, this may be a different aperture or even a different focal length. Experiment! 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2022 at 9:45 PM, jaapv said:

Neither. The lens that gives the best result should be selected, this may be a different aperture or even a different focal length. Experiment! 

Agree. But results should be shared!
-  I only know an old list from the M8/M9 time, ‘how to code 6-bits for lenses’ - imho the list is sort of just to get the administration good (the focal length always corresponds).

Later thoughs ponder on where the virual aperture - the center of the lens - actally is. That defines the distance to the sensor, hence the angle of incidence. That differs per lens design. And the aperture also plays a role, fast apertures wide open create very complex ray bundles too. So indeed, technically the change in aperture may be used too to select a profile. But it is too complex to handle that choice in all variationss for us mere humans.

- reason: The angle of incidence is a core design of the micro prisms on the sensor, in their purpose to capture light also from aside, at a small angle. So it has to match. 

I am looking through the lenses I have on the M10-R. 
-  the Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM is great, a great improvement over the M240

- but the Nikkor-HC 50mm Sonnar works less well on the M10-R. Maybe I see defects clearer now (it might need some adjustment, the lens block is loose)

Edited by Alberti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are several guideline lists on the web for codes, many third party lenses are listed there and some are - through user experience and results - assigned quite differently (not as "nearest neighbors").
In 2022 we are still missing "best coding practice" guidelines for lenses like Summilux 35 II Canada, Summicron 40 etc.

Edited by Al Brown