Vertical Line on Sensor, normal for M9? any point replacing camera?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's a vertical line down the centre my ISO 800 images

The retailer have offered to collect it with view to offer a refund, but I've been told elsewhere that this is just what the CCD sensor is like on the M9 and to get used to it.

So is there any point in getting a refund to find another M9, or do they all have the same issue?

increased exposure to make line more obvious

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dancook

No this is not normal and it's certainly an individual fault of your camera.

I guess the line is vertical in portrait mode and horizontal in landscape mode? If it were vertical in the exact center of landscape mode, my guess would be a fault electronics which reads out the two halves of the sensor. 

My recommendation is to send an example of your results to Leica Customer Care and hear their advice. Then go with this to your retailer to ask for a faultless camera or refund. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't want to accept a fault camera only for it to lose it's value if/when i come to sell it again.

3 minutes ago, UliWer said:

No this is not normal and it's certainly an individual fault of your camera.

I guess the line is vertical in portrait mode and horizontal in landscape mode? If it were vertical in the exact center of landscape mode, my guess would be a fault electronics which reads out the two halves of the sensor. 

My recommendation is to send an example of your results to Leica Customer Care and hear their advice. Then go with this to your retailer to ask for a faultless camera or refund. 

Vertical top to bottom in landscape, it looks like exact centre.

I already have a collection booked for tomorrow, I don't think Leica will give me anything to go with before then - fixed would be great, but the retailer never mentioned this as an option. So at the least I will let the refund go ahead.

I had this with a red line on my M9, and was told it was a "hot pixel" that caused the while line of pixels to show this way. Lightroom would automatically map it out, so it only showed on native jpg images. Back then Leica would remap the sensor firmware to fix the issue, if you sent the camera in.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Marac said:

Leica can map out the dead/hot pixel and that will sort it out for you. Been lucky with M9's never had this line before but had it with 3 seperate M240's

Send it off to Leica for a remap.

In 2021 I have the same issue with Ricoh GRD from circa 2005. Also CCD sensor. With GRD II Ricoh figured out how to provide remapping utility for customer, back then.

3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

In 2021 I have the same issue with Ricoh GRD from circa 2005. Also CCD sensor. With GRD II Ricoh figured out how to provide remapping utility for customer, back then.

I think it should be an included function in all camera menu's

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 6:21 AM, dancook said:

I wouldn't want to accept a fault camera only for it to lose it's value if/when i come to sell it again.

Vertical top to bottom in landscape, it looks like exact centre.

I already have a collection booked for tomorrow, I don't think Leica will give me anything to go with before then - fixed would be great, but the retailer never mentioned this as an option. So at the least I will let the refund go ahead.

Just for the record, any digital sensor can acquire such a line over its lifetime. A cosmic ray strike during a jet airliner flight at 30000+ feet can do it. So can letting the camera get excessively hot in sunshine (say, 160°F/71°C in a parked car in summer, or lying on a beach or patio table in the sun for a few minutes).

As mentioned, one corrupted "hot pixel" in the column that contaminates the rest of the pixels in the column during readout.

The "repair" is simply a dedicated camera-firmware update that "clones out" or "patches" the line by replacing it with the tones averaged from the neighboring column of pixels on either side. Not unlike Adobe's "healing brush," but on a more precise scale.

Send Leica a .DNG file (so they can figure out exactly which of the 5000+ pixel columns it is), and they can email back the personalized firmware upgrade for the user to install.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 4:19 AM, adan said:

Send Leica a .DNG file (so they can figure out exactly which of the 5000+ pixel columns it is), and they can email back the personalized firmware upgrade for the user to install.

FWIW Leica told me that they could only do this with the M10 and that the 240 (I didn't ask about the M9) would have to be sent in to them

(Luckily I was an idiot with my diagnosis and my "dead" pixel - that was only visible on a 'dust ref photo' - turned out to be dirt! The Leica store laughed a little bit, then cleaned it properly)

I seem to recall... (and please correct me here Andy) that it's only with CCD that you get a line with a dead pixel, on CMOS you get a single dead pixel (something to do with how CCD reads its data Vs CMOS)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Are you done with the M9 now Dan or maybe you'd try another one?

With the Q3 around the corner and having well over a month to lose enthusiasm for the M9 - I'm in no rush.

I have a VM 50 1.2 Nokton I've barely used.. well barely used the other 50mm f2 I got either