New TL2 user and having trouble with firmware

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've done my best to search for solutions on the forum, but apologies in advance if this has been covered. I've been wanting to join the Leica landscape for a long time, saw a great deal on a TL2 and pounced. I understand the limitations, but I'm very excited to get started with the camera; but holy hell I am having a hard time getting the firmware to update. I've downloaded 1.5 (presumably the final update?) and put it on a freshly in-camera formatted SD card. When I boot the camera with the video button held down the camera tells me the firmware is already up to date. But when I look at the camera info, it says it's firmware 0.8! Anybody deal with this before? Anybody have a fix? Any help is much appreciated

It is a rare thing.
I can think of something you can do: Take out the battery and the card and leave the camera for a few minutes without power and away from the computer, mobile or devices with intense magnetic fields.
Put the battery and card in and check the firmware you now have, if it still gives firmware 0.8 try again to load 1.5 following the step by step instructions.
Page 199 of the Manual in Spanish.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:50 AM, Dopaco said:

Did you manage to install firmware 1.5 on your TL 2? Disconnect and then connect the battery, it usually produces a reset and some problems are solved, I tell you from experience,

Nothing has worked unfortunately. I've taken the battery out for short and long periods of time. I've tried to update to different versions of firmware (1.1, 1.4, and 1.5). It continues to insist that it's up to date already and continues to show firmware version 0.8

In addition to contacting Leica service, try this:
Try a new battery and format it and copy only firmware 1.5 to the Root Directory of the card, which file will be (TL2_1500.LFU) and follow the steps below:

1. Download an updated version of the firmware.
2. Copy the firmware file to an SD memory card in its top level folder.
3. Be sure to turn off the camera's power switch.
4. Insert the fully charged battery into the body. If the battery is not fully charged, the update process
the screen will not appear.
5. Insert the SD memory card into the camera.
6. Turn on the camera, while simultaneously pressing the video release button.
7. The firmware update screen will appear. Press OK.
8. The LEICA TL2 will start the update process. The firmware update will take about 90 seconds.
9. After the update process, please restart the camera.
Camera / Page Leica AG

We are interested in knowing all the results obtained.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I might be an idiot but the problem is solved. While the camera is showing firmware version 0.8 in the camera information, the functionality of 1.5 is in the menus. So I am not sure why the camera says 0.8, but it's telling the truth when it tells me the firmware is up to date. The smaller mystery of why it's showing 0.8 in the camera information is much less frustrating. Appreciate all of your responses

20 hours ago, sayno2babies said:

Bueno, puede que sea un idiota, pero el problema está resuelto. Mientras que la cámara muestra la versión de firmware 0.8 en la información de la cámara, la funcionalidad de 1.5 está en los menús. Así que no estoy seguro de por qué la cámara dice 0.8, pero dice la verdad cuando me dice que el firmware está actualizado. El misterio menor de por qué muestra 0.8 en la información de la cámara es mucho menos frustrante. Agradezco todas sus respuestas

@sayno2babies

Firmware 0.8 seems a bit strange, it makes more sense that TL2 came out of the factory with firmware 1.0 and you may have upgraded to 1.5.
You will not lose anything if you send an email to Leica to be informed, they will surely answer you and possibly give you a solution to delete that 0.80 and see the current 1.5.
I have done this with something similar but with my M8 and with a combination of keys that they indicated to me, the problem was solved and at no cost
The email that appears in my instruction manual is:
info@leica-camera.com
software-support@leica-camera.com

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2022 at 10:38 AM, sayno2babies said:

I've done my best to search for solutions on the forum, but apologies in advance if this has been covered. I've been wanting to join the Leica landscape for a long time, saw a great deal on a TL2 and pounced. I understand the limitations, but I'm very excited to get started with the camera; but holy hell I am having a hard time getting the firmware to update. I've downloaded 1.5 (presumably the final update?) and put it on a freshly in-camera formatted SD card. When I boot the camera with the video button held down the camera tells me the firmware is already up to date. But when I look at the camera info, it says it's firmware 0.8! Anybody deal with this before? Anybody have a fix? Any help is much appreciated

I have the same problem with my TL2, which firmware I had updated successfully to v1.5 upon receiving the unit last January 2023, 

But now the camera information list firmware v0.8 and FOTOS app will not connect, stating the camera firmware needs to be updated.  

Tried updating several times, also followed suggestions here, removing battery, SDcard, lens, left the camera for over an hour, still updates returns firmware up-to-date but camera information lists firmware v0.8