Shutter speed for handheld shots with the M11

Manicouagan1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From the start of my use of the M240/246 24 megapixel cameras I have tried to keep my shutter speed faster than one over twice the focal length in millimeters for hand held shots.  For a 50mm lens I use exposures of less than 1/100 second if possible.   Does that rule of thumb still seem to hold for the M11 in its 60megapixel mode.   Obviously this is a rule of thumb but for this old man it seems adequate for on-screen viewing and modest sized prints.  

13 minutes ago, Manicouagan1 said:

From the start of my use of the M240/246 24 megapixel cameras I have tried to keep my shutter speed faster than one over twice the focal length in millimeters for hand held shots.  For a 50mm lens I use exposures of less than 1/100 second if possible.   Does that rule of thumb still seem to hold for the M11 in its 60megapixel mode.   Obviously this is a rule of thumb but for this old man it seems adequate for on-screen viewing and modest sized prints.  

I use (1/2f)s both for M10-R and M11. I ma happy with the results when looking at 100%. The minimum shutter speed depends on the photographer.

Edited by SrMi

I use 1/(4x-focal-length) for the M10 - because things in my pictures move fast, even if I don't shake the camera. ;)

But the M11's linear resolution - despite the 60 megapixels in area - is less than twice that of an M10(original) or M240's 24 megapixels.

(M11 - image 9528 pixels in the long dimension)/(M240/M10 - image 6000 pixels in the long dimension) = only 1.58x the linear resolution.

So it should need at most one additional step of shutter speed to handle the same amount of camera shake or subject movement.

• Like 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb adan:

I use 1/(4x-focal-length) for the M10 - because things in my pictures move fast, even if I don't shake the camera. ;)

But the M11's linear resolution - despite the 60 megapixels in area - is less than twice that of an M10(original) or M240's 24 megapixels.

(M11 - image 9528 pixels in the long dimension)/(M240/M10 - image 6000 pixels in the long dimension) = only 1.58x the linear resolution.

So it should need at most one additional step of shutter speed to handle the same amount of camera shake or subject movement.

Correct, however even that is only true if you are not looking at the same print size. It is only important if you are cropping a lot or print huge... (means really using the higher resolution 😏).

Edited by FrankX

Advertisement (gone after registration)

27 minutes ago, FrankX said:

Correct, however even that is only true if you are not looking at the same print size. It is only important if you are cropping a lot or print huge... (means really using the higher resolution 😏).

True.

But in the run-up to the M11, most of the folks demanding more megapixels claimed that cropping or huge prints were exactly why they wanted them.

Which would make "ONLY important" QUITE important - at least to them. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In pre-IBIS times with higher resolution sensors (now everybody besides Leica M11 has moved on and provides IBIS), some of us got creative to provide OBIS instead of IBIS:

On Body Image Stabilization (OBIS) works by using a small tripod or similar mechanism (e.g. the classic Leitz tabletop tripod) that you push into your body to gain 1-2 stops in stability.

Known flavors of OBIS include e.g. Novoflex MagicBall Free (here).

The concept of On Body Stabilization is well established in other professions, e.g. On Body Beer Stabilization (OBBS) - looking at the picture, I would say OBBS in this case will yield up to 12 stops?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(illustrative image; Creative Commons license, via Bing.com)

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, mzbe said:

On Body Image Stabilization (OBIS) works by using a small tripod or similar mechanism (e.g. the classic Leitz tabletop tripod) that you push into your body to gain 1-2 stops in stability.

Yep - longtime (and long-ago) Leica USA Sales VP Walter Heun (that's Valter, with a W) demonstrated using the Leitz tabletop as a "chest-pod" to us, in a college seminar about 1978. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adan said:

Yep - longtime (and long-ago) Leica USA Sales VP Walter Heun (that's Valter, with a W) demonstrated using the Leitz tabletop as a "chest-pod" to us, in a college seminar about 1978. ;)

Found a funny article on the same topic, mentioning Herr Heun and his image stabilization techniques:

Walter was a cut-up. He carefully demonstrated how you could steady the M5 for long exposures by holding it upside-down, with the back pressed against your forehead.
"Ovf course, zen your pictures are all upzide-down - but zis, zis is no problem." he deadpanned. "Ven you project zem - you chust turn ze projector upside-down, alzo, and zen - zey project right-side up again."

Source: https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/it-was-20yrs-ago-today-sgt.92906/

Edited by Guest

ISO performance is very good so I shoot 1/4x in auto ISO and Shutter.

but in many situation I shot 1/15 and 1/30 hand hold with 50mm lens and the pictures are very good. you can hold some of this shutter speeds if you are study. it is not like the old days of Sony R cameras when the Sutter was doing all the shaking.

Of Course 60MP will show every little mistake in more details, if you want to freeze moving objects you will have to take that in consideration .