How to Disable Touch Screen on M11?

NDTPHOTOGRAPHY

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is for the lucky ones who already got their M11s (congratulations, signed “waiting and envious”)

I played with the camera for a couple of hours at my local Leica store (Los Angeles) and found a potentially annoying quirk:

The focus aid / focus magnification point is selected by via the touch screen.  My hands are large enough so that my right hand touches the lower right corner of the screen thus inadvertently selecting the lower right corner of the screen as the spot to be ‘focus magnified”.  I reset the area to the center of the screen but it all reverts as soon as I raise the camera back to my eye… I asked the people in the store if there was a way to disable the touch functionality of the screen but no one seemed to know how.  It was quite annoying and since the magnification area needs to be moved back to the  center of the screen before being able to focus, could prove maddening when one needs to focus quickly.  

To those of you who would write “just use the rangefinder” please refrain as this is about using lenses wide open with so-so vision, sadly my vision isn’t perfect anymore, occasionally causing me to rely on the Visoflex.

This has not stopped me from ordering the camera but I was wondering if anyone here had experienced this or if they had any idea on how to disable touch functionality.  If not, seems like a fairly simple update for the kinds folks a Leica to implement.

Thanks for your insight.

N

Edited by NDTPHOTOGRAPHY
Cleaner title

I had this same trouble with the M10R, M10M etc. I think from memory it was suggested to change the target display mode to EVF only when in live view. This way the rear screen is not active. 

I think they absolutely need to include the option to disable touch entirely though. I never use it for anything on any of my cameras, I prefer hard buttons I guess. 

• NDTPHOTOGRAPHY changed the title to How to Disable Touch Screen on M11?
2 minutes ago, NDTPHOTOGRAPHY said:

Thanks for this, yes, this was the workaround but I agree it seems silly not to have the option to disable touch functionality.

On a side note - I usually do turn off the rear display as I prefer not to review my shots, call it “simulated analogue process”.  

I suggest EVF extended mode and review off. Still nice to use LCD instead of EVF for menu operations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

This only happens in live view...do you shoot mostly with this enabled?

I just went thru the menu, and surprisingly no option to disable this. I too notice that my focus point and exposure point are constantly being moved to a corner, probably for the same reason. But since I rarely use LV, this hasn't annoyed me yet.

Luckily, I don’t but when I do, this is very annoying, forcing a dive into menu or assigning a special custom user profile just to be able to use LV without the hassle.  

The exposure part is also annoying but less so if the multi-field metering is chosen.

23 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

The touch screen also allows you to tap and slide...so once you enable zoom focus aid, you can simply drag the position of the box around the screen. Obviously this doesnt solve your issue but it is another option.

how to you set the screen to touch and slide instead of just touch for adjusting the focus point?  I also have an issue with moving the focus point to the bottom left accidently (and often...)

8 minutes ago, M Journey said:

how to you set the screen to touch and slide instead of just touch for adjusting the focus point?  I also have an issue with moving the focus point to the bottom left accidently (and often...)

Interestingly I think that the new Visoflex design improved this issue for me, but it's been a long time since I last used the Visoflex 020 (really only for lenses wider than 24mm) that I would need to test side-by-side.

I'm pretty sure I was making contact with my nose on the touch screen just before it switched across to the Visoflex on the M10 series cameras. I think on the newer Visoflex the switch-over happens earlier (perhaps a more sensitive proximity sensor?) so I remember thinking it wouldn't be such a problem. I only had the M11 a short time so I'll need to test it more when I get it back from Leica.

As an aside, I don't think the new Visoflex is a great improvement, especially not for the money being charged. I don't enjoy using it any more than I did the old one, It's just a requirement for working with wider lenses unless I spend big bucks on a bunch of external OVFs. 

12 hours ago, digitalfx said:

The touch screen also allows you to tap and slide...so once you enable zoom focus aid, you can simply drag the position of the box around the screen. Obviously this doesnt solve your issue but it is another option.

Exactly, so every time I raise the camera to take a photo, my hand inadvertently touches the lower right corner of the screen, thus moving the focus mag 😩