Sigma 105mm 1.4 Art

Craig Clark

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I searched and there didnt seem to be very much on this lens in the forum. I am really curious to hear people thoughts on the Sigma Art 105.  I have the SL2s and have been shooting with the 24-70 for a few months now - once I learned my way around the camera I really love it.  I am looking for a nice portrait lens though, and its just not in the budget at the moment to purchase Leica glass.  I have gotten some killer portraits with the 24-70 at 70 (around aperture 3.2) and I am just wondering if my images will be comparable in quality (sharpness, color etc) or maybe even better.  I know there were a bunch of rumors that the 24-70 was made by sigma anyway....not to feed the conspiracy theorists!  Anyway - input and sample images are welcome!  Please help!    

Shot with the SL2 and Sigma 105 f/1.4 last year at a maternity photo shoot but I couldn’t share images from that.. I did shoot this tiger head on a tripod at home if it helps 😌

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Here are a few images taken with the SL and the Sigma 105 1.4 Art, at f/1.4.  I got the lens when it first came out before L mount was available.  I use it with a Novoflex AF F mount adapter on the SL.  I wish it was L mount for better compatibility.  

I appreciate its weight as Sigma has seen fit to include a tripod collar.  Mount it on a monopod for fast portrait to landscape format imaging.  The monopod lends Z axis stability so you can shoot at very slow shutter speeds in dark venues.  The weight of the lens is a non-issue on a monopod.  My SL has no IBIS.  

AF is accurate but slow as I have the adapter.  The sharpness and contrast of the glass makes manual focus easy when shooting wide open.  Manual focus is very linear in this DSLR lens.  The fast f/1.4 aperture will give you a brighter EVF image to work with vs a zoom lens.  The working distance is much longer than my SL 24-90.  I have had talent push in too close to get focus during live performances.  The 105 1.4 Art is longer and faster option vs my SL 24-90 (90 at f/4).

Sharpness, color and contrast are great.  Fringing and distortion are well controlled.  Bokeh and flare are smooth.  Subject isolation for portraits is excellent wide open with sharpness edge to edge in the plane of focus.  

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

I fully understand the pain in our wallet, I used at first the sigma 135mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.4 for some time. Finally I end up buying the Leica 75mm f/2 and never used the sigma’s again. It’s simple amazing.

I had this lens when I owned my Sony system.  I keep thinking I may want to get it for the SL2-S.  Love the way it renders. 

• Like 1

A few more examples…

One more…

• Like 1