Confusing EVF display implementation

Stef63

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Yes indeed that is the way I see it. Only when the EVF is mounted.

I only use and mount an EVF on an M when I mount a lens that requires an EVF.  And the self activating live view in my opinion should only work when the EVF is mounted, because the EVF is there for a reason chosen by the user.   
When the EVF is not mounted on my M11 (or other M) I almost never use LV simply because I have probably a lens mounted that works perfectly in RF modus. 

Note that you can turn LV on/off via the status screen (single Menu press and touch). For example, set EVF extended mode and enable LV in the status screen once you mount EVF. EVF will be enabled via eye sensor otherwise, the camera acts as if it were in RF mode. I rarely switch LV on/off, so I may repurpose the FN button for something else. 
BTW, what functionality have you assigned to your buttons?

I was about to comment and say that there are cameras that do exactly what was described - i.e. having the EVF activate all the time unintentionally from just carrying the camera around (looking at you, Nikon Z system), but also cameras that had the sensitivity tuned well, so it worked only with your eye all the way up the EVF (some Fujis).

But then i’ve remembered the new Visoflex has a *huge* eye relief, so that can’t possibly work right however adjusted.

I guess the only solution that would satisfy everyone would be a dedicated LV button on the EVF itself. It’s there when the EVF is there. It’s gone when the EVF is gone. Clean and simple.

Maybe something for Visoflex 3?

Edited by orcinus

22 hours ago, SrMi said:

Note that you can turn LV on/off via the status screen (single Menu press and touch). For example, set EVF extended mode and enable LV in the status screen once you mount EVF. EVF will be enabled via eye sensor otherwise, the camera acts as if it were in RF mode. I rarely switch LV on/off, so I may repurpose the FN button for something else. 
BTW, what functionality have you assigned to your buttons?

Top = focus aid/magnification for use with R lenses that do not transfer manual focus ring changes to the M and by consequence do not activate the magnification in LV automatically 

Clickwheel : Exposure compensation

Fn : would have preferred bringing up the non coded lens profile menu as half of my lenses are not coded, but it is now a LV on/off

And good suggestion about activating the LV through the Menu but not ideal.  I had not thought about that.  

I try to imagine a meeting at Leica where they discuss user experience and user interface.  Must be interesting discussions on how to implement functionalities and try not to end up with to much unwanted edge cases.

• Thanks 1

click wheel for EC can be set directly without using FN. Just enable it in one of customized control. (if you enable it, you can change EC by wheel while half press the shutter just like any other M cameras) 

This save you a FN button :)

Edited by ZHNL
  • Like 1