M11 freezing up and becoming un-responsive

mrmalo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, M Journey said:

Ive had my camera brick when I accidently took a shot with the lens cap on (I was just testing the shutter sound).  I had a m10-p loaner for two weeks that bricked a few times (never figured out why) and would only fix it self after removing the battery.  I'm assuming its some glitch in the system/firmware.  If it happens again, and especially more than once, and you can't determine what the issue is, definately let your dealer know in case you need to exchange it.

You made an interesting point. On my freezing encountering during camera start up, I wonder if it’s because I had the lens cap on. It happened twice so far away, and with lens cap on. But… that shouldn’t be the cause of the freezing right…

Edited by Meisyong

5 minutes ago, Meisyong said:

You made an interesting point. On my freezing encountering during camera start up, I wonder if it’s because I had the lens cap on. It happened twice so far away, and with lens cap on. But… that shouldn’t be the cause of the freezing right…

I think it actually is.  I can brick my camera pretty reliably by doing this.  I think the camera doesn't know what to do when there is no light at all and therefore is bricking itself.  should be a firmware issue that can be easily fixed.  Try it and if that is what is happening then its probably nothing to worry about.

2 minutes ago, Meisyong said:

Hmm, to be honest I’m not sure. Is the camera technically taking a shot when I switched it on?

No, not unless you have your finger pressing on the shutter at the same time, which is pretty damn difficult.

12 minutes ago, davidvanchu said:

Is it freezing, or just taking a really long exposure?

just tested.  kept the cap on.  turned the camera on and tried to take a shot.  2+ minutes later and the camera doesn't do anything.  rear screen turns off (even though live view is on and it shows a dark screen before taking the picture).  turning off the camera does seem to reset it.  Maybe it is taking a long exposure since i can pull up shots that are totally dark and show shutter speeds past 2 minutes.

tested again with the evf attached.  same thing. 

19 minutes ago, M Journey said:

I can brick my camera pretty reliably by doing this.

Hang, not brick.

1 minute ago, M Journey said:

Just tested.  kept the cap on.  turned the camera on and tried to take a shot.  2+ minutes later and the camera doesn't do anything. 

Completely expected and the behavior of every M I've owned.

1 minute ago, M Journey said:

just tested.  kept the cap on.  turned the camera on and tried to take a shot.  2+ minutes later and the camera doesn't do anything.  rear screen turns off (even though live view is on and it shows a dark screen before taking the picture).  turning off the camera does seem to reset it.  Maybe it is taking a long exposure since i can pull up shots that are totally dark and show shutter speeds past 2 minutes.

For my case, when I switch it on (with the lens cap on), it doesn’t have the ’shutter click’ sound. LV remains black and the orange LED light is constantly on. So the camera froze and I could only remove the battery to restart it. 

Just now, Meisyong said:

For my case, when I switch it on (with the lens cap on), it doesn’t have the ’shutter click’ sound. LV remains black and the orange LED light is constantly on. So the camera froze and I could only remove the battery to restart it. 

If you start the camera and you don't hear a click, if you take off the lens, do you see the shutter or sensor?  If you see the shutter, it could be sticking, in which case I'd be asking for a replacement. 

1 minute ago, Meisyong said:

try resetting your camera to factory settings and see if this still persists.  It might be a firmware issue and the way you set your camera option/configuration.  With my lens cap on, my camera turns on just fine and i hear the shutter open noise in a second or two after power up.

The next time it happens again I will take off the lens to examine it. Happened twice between yesterday and today. Hasn’t happened so far without the lens cap. Even if the lens cap is the culprit, just find it ridiculous that it’s the cause of the problem.

Thanks for the advice :)

Edited by Meisyong

My M11 does not show this behavior.  Frequently I turn it on before removing the lens cap and it’s never hung.  Using a Sandisk memory card but also writing to internal 64 GB as a backup.  In fact my M11 hasn’t hung once thus far (knock on wood).

I’ve also never had a non-responsive button push.  I wonder if there might be a logic board defect in some M11s, rather than multiple buttons and now this bricking problem all occurring simultaneously at launch.

27 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

If you start the camera and you don't hear a click, if you take off the lens, do you see the shutter or sensor?  If you see the shutter, it could be sticking, in which case I'd be asking for a replacement. 

Murphy’s law. Happened again! I could see the sensor with the lens removed. Is this good or bad news? Haha.

Anyway, I can’t deal with it. I will return it tomorrow. A pity. 

1 hour ago, M Journey said:

What is your ISO?

With automatic metering, you will see that the metering says 24min for  ISO64. If you have Noise Reduction turned on, that would take 48 minutes totally.

Edited by SrMi

1 hour ago, onasj said:

My M11 does not show this behavior.  Frequently I turn it on before removing the lens cap and it’s never hung.  Using a Sandisk memory card but also writing to internal 64 GB as a backup.  In fact my M11 hasn’t hung once thus far (knock on wood).

I’ve also never had a non-responsive button push.  I wonder if there might be a logic board defect in some M11s, rather than multiple buttons and now this bricking problem all occurring simultaneously at launch.

lens cap on...wouldn't that effect the automatic-live-view-exposure-metering-off-sensor?

that could be a reason

hanging/crashing is a better word, bricked usually implies its a permanent paperweight

1 minute ago, frame-it said:

lens cap on...wouldn't that effect the automatic-live-view-exposure-metering-off-sensor?

that could be a reason

hanging/crashing is a better word, bricked usually implies its a permanent paperweight

Once we know ISO used, we'll know if it is normal long exposure or a hang.

12 minutes ago, SrMi said:

With automatic metering, you will see that the metering says 24min for  ISO64. If you have Noise Reduction turned on, that would take 48 minutes totally.

I’m pretty sure the behavior seen is exactly this.

1 minute ago, davidvanchu said:

I’m pretty sure the behavior seen is exactly this.

The big surprise is that Leica can meter for 24 minutes exposure! Very few cameras support more than 30 seconds. Kudos to Leica!

58 minutes ago, Meisyong said:

Murphy’s law. Happened again! I could see the sensor with the lens removed. Is this good or bad news? Haha.

Anyway, I can’t deal with it. I will return it tomorrow. A pity. 

I feel bad for you. It’s gotta be disheartening and pretty much sucks!