M11 freezing up and becoming un-responsive

mrmalo

1 minute ago, lct said:

There is no legal duty to do that AFAIK but i don't know your local legislation.

Just checked this legislation up, the store or Leica has 2 chances to get it right, thereafter it will be decided whether to replace the product or not. Refunding seems to be very difficult. 

33 minutes ago, Gigamesh said:

Just checked this legislation up, the store or Leica has 2 chances to get it right, thereafter it will be decided whether to replace the product or not. Refunding seems to be very difficult. 

I would have thought that replacement can be claimed on a legal basis but I don't know your law. On amicable basis, Leica may check the body and decide to replace it afterwards but they reserve the right to make a repair instead if they wish so. I would ask for a replacement if I were in your shoes but others may prefer to have a repaired body.

Edited by lct

Am 17.9.2022 um 20:48 schrieb SrMi:

Or you could try working with the internal memory only. That eliminates the SD card factor.

Just checked this without SD card, just internal memory, similar behavior. No crashes but the display remains black after certain shots (auto preview is set to 5secs). Also contacted customer care in Germany. No response yet. 

Also I feel that my unit freeze more often if it wakes up from standby mode several times rather than no standby mode, but the latter will of course drain the battery. I think the whole issue might be something with the memory buffer being overflown after standby is turned on/off all the time. Probably due to the light metering being on the sensor and its on all time. Many "might", "probably", "i think" and "feels".. just some thoughts 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 34 Minuten schrieb lct:

I would set Auto Review to off and see what happens. Don't ask me why, it is just my constant setting since the later firmware update.

Fair but this from my perspective is not helpful to what they promise. At the moment i stopped shooting which is similar to your workaround 😉

12 minutes ago, Jewl said:

Fair but this from my perspective is not helpful to what they promise. At the moment i stopped shooting which is similar to your workaround 😉

Difference is you don't shoot while i do with no problem at all... I used to set Auto Review to off with my M240 too so it is not a problem for me. As long as it works i don't care but i wish you find the better solution for you of course :cool:

8 hours ago, lct said:

Difference is you don't shoot while i do with no problem at all... I used to set Auto Review to off with my M240 too so it is not a problem for me. As long as it works i don't care but i wish you find the better solution for you of course :cool:

I never set auto review since m240, and up till now… i wonder if i have the same problem though… if i set auto review on 🤔

21 minutes ago, jakontil said:

I never set auto review since m240, and up till now… i wonder if i have the same problem though… if i set auto review on 🤔

Do you have freezing issues with your current settings? 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the freezing problem for the first time. The only thing changed ... I put on a grid (6x4). I had a couple of freezes while using the grid. Turned off the grid, no more freezes. Could well be a coincidence, but it is an interesting data point.

I had never used the grid previously.

Edited by MrPaulK

20 hours ago, MrPaulK said:

I had the freezing problem for the first time. The only thing changed ... I put on a grid (6x4). I had a couple of freezes while using the grid. Turned off the grid, no more freezes. Could well be a coincidence, but it is an interesting data point.

I had never used the grid previously.

Hey, 

Just tried that on my camera that continuously freeze on random instances, but it didn't freeze with LV with grid setting. 

If you turn it on without taking the lid of the lens or without lens mounted. Set the the iso to for instance 64 on the dial and shutterspeed to 125 and release the shutter, does it freeze after the first frame? Try not to press the second position on the shutter release button, just press it down in one motion. 

Mine freeze like this all the time, I'm waiting for the next firmware, hopefully its just software issue that will be fixed with the firmware. 

Best

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Gigamesh:

If you turn it on without taking the lid of the lens or without lens mounted. Set the the iso to for instance 64 on the dial and shutterspeed to 125 and release the shutter, does it freeze after the first frame? Try not to press the second position on the shutter release button, just press it down in one motion. 

Mine freeze like this all the time, I'm waiting for the next firmware, hopefully its just software issue that will be fixed with the firmware. 

Mine does not freeze doing this.

Last week on my holidays I also got some freeze up with my M11. Only chance was to switch the camera off. Some times I need to remove the battery otherwise nothing happened. It was so bad at one instance that after all workarounds I couldn't take any photos with my M11 because it says the SD card is full but it wasn't There was still plenty space on the 128GB Sony SD card. The only way I could come around was to insert the SD card in my Mac system to do a backup of the photos, put the SD card back into my M11 and format it. After that procedure I was able to take photos and save them on the SD card. Weird random hick-ups with the M11.

I have to wonder why a $9,000.(US) camera body has an issue that eleven pages of the Leica Forum needs to discuss?  This is something Leica should deal with and not sell another camera until it is fixed. I've been using Leica since the mid 1960's and have never had an issue. But my newest M is an M10. Seems they are getting worse rather than better.