Very Impressed with Summicron-SL Performance

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This past weekend I had to help a friend with a project for his business.  We had to do a product shoot and I took a simple setup of a portable light box, SL2-S, Summicron-SL 25, 50 and 75.  I ended up using the 75 for the whole shoot.  The challenge was that without a tilt function I had to use apertures of 18-22 to keep everything in focus in a single shot.  Last time I helped him with something like this I was using my a7r iv and G Master lenses.  As I was using similar apertures I found that diffraction became a bit of an issue with the Sony system and had to do a lot in post to try to correct as many of the flaws as possible.  

My images taken with the SL2-S and SL 75 have been incredibly easy to edit.  I didn't need to edit the colors much (it always took a long time with my Sony setup) and the sharpness and lack of diffraction at higher apertures is really impressive.

If I have one complaint, it's that a depth of field preview would have helped a lot and I could have worked more efficiently without having had to take test shots at different apertures.  Once I'm done editing and have permission I'll post a few images.  

• Like 3